What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 44 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

If possible. There is actually a slim chance that I will be able to ride endurance in Round 5, but more likely I will just be the lap recorder / umbrella girl.

Umbrella girl? I thought it was your FINGER that was amputated?

LOL Just kidding.

Ha ha....yeah it started with "Well, practically no chance I can ride, but I might as well just take the gear on the slim chance that I can do a few practice laps".....then progressed to "Hmm, with gloves on I can work the brake lever pretty well without any pain or interference"....to "Okay, just a few laps, to get my feet wet again".....to "heck, I am kinda getting some speed back here, let's work on the lines and braking points".....to "Okay fellas, I'm in for the endurance race!"

There are no words to describe how pi$$ed my wife was when she found out.

Oh, and I will point out that I ended up being the fastest Prairie Dog by several seconds, despite it being my first time on the layout, and even though both my teammates did the entire Friday track day as practice. So there. Umbrella girl my foot.

Nicely done Hugh! Wife will get over it. You'll never get a 2014 Round 5 Endurance Race again right? ;)

Your teamates and I talked at length over dinner Sat about your wife situation.

I think she may be disenchanted with motorcycle crashes because she sees them on TV and reads about them in the paper.

Let's be realistic- How many SOAR crashes happened this yr? 100? 150?....200?
How many people got up and walked away, often to rejoin the race or race a half hr later?80%...more...90%...at least.
Now let's take street crashes....what percentage get up and walk away?
Nothing close to 80 or 90%. What she doesn't realize is that there is no safer place to ride a motorcycle than a racing venue.
Because your wife hasn't come and watched, and spent time at the track, she has a preconceived notion of how a motorcycle crash starts and ends. We both know she is wrong, you just need to show her that.

Congrats on a successful season, and looking forward to more dicing with the Prairie Dogs next yr.

I thought i saw him out riding on Saturday with the PDR bike, so i guess his wife has now accepted the gospel of motorcycle racing.

Your teamates and I talked at length over dinner Sat about your wife situation.

I think she may be disenchanted with motorcycle crashes because she sees them on TV and reads about them in the paper.

Let's be realistic- How many SOAR crashes happened this yr? 100? 150?....200?
How many people got up and walked away, often to rejoin the race or race a half hr later?80%...more...90%...at least.
Now let's take street crashes....what percentage get up and walk away?
Nothing close to 80 or 90%. What she doesn't realize is that there is no safer place to ride a motorcycle than a racing venue.
Because your wife hasn't come and watched, and spent time at the track, she has a preconceived notion of how a motorcycle crash starts and ends. We both know she is wrong, you just need to show her that.

Congrats on a successful season, and looking forward to more dicing with the Prairie Dogs next yr.
I took mine this year to watch me race at the Shannonville endurance round while riding the 250, she said "that does not look that dangerous"....... Strategy ;)

Glad she didn't come this last round with all the crashes - No one hurt thankfully

Last edited:
On the thread topic ... I have an issue to diagnose that popped up in the last round - a bad misfire under load above 10,000 rpm to the point that there is no power. It also misfires at warm idle. I just checked for spark - it has ignition on all four when cranking and at cold idle with a test spark plug outside the engine - but that's not necessarily indicative of working properly under load. I have an air/fuel gauge on the bike, and it shows nothing out of the ordinary leading up to the misfire (13-ish air/fuel ratio under load).

edit: Secondary winding of #1-#4 ignition coil is open-circuit, and that would be A Bad Thing. Haven't checked the #2-#3 coil but I ain't gonna replace just one of them.

Last edited:
I thought i saw him out riding on Saturday with the PDR bike, so i guess his wife has now accepted the gospel of motorcycle racing.

Nope,I was in jail. But she is starting to make noises like endurance racing might be okay for next season, but not sprints. This is based on zero knowledge or experience on her part, but arguing with her on this issue based on logic...well you might as well argue with the weather.

Reading this makes me realize just how awesome my wife is. She walked into the garage to see my freshly built 08 Gsxr 1000 motor and said, "well that looks like $4200 well spent, when are you taking out the zx10 motor?"

Reading this makes me realize just how awesome my wife is. She walked into the garage to see my freshly built 08 Gsxr 1000 motor and said, "well that looks like $4200 well spent, when are you taking out the zx10 motor?"

Me too, I cringe reading these posts about everything being a battle with wives!

My daughter is four weeks old and she and my wife came with me to the track sunday in the miserable weather to pick up a new race bike lol

Last edited:
Hell-my wife stood out in the cold and rain all weekend scoring bikes for you ********,LOL
She is way outta my league- just don't tell her that.

Back
Top Bottom