Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmets

Jetpack

Site Supporter
I know this is a touchy subject due to the facts...buuuuuut I wanna ride helmet free, I'm going to when I go thru the states with the partial laws, anyways to the point! Petition to open the law for helmets? Let's say under 21 must wear helmet? How would one get the "official" petition type thing? I don't kno much about the bill/law and all that stuff works... So please, help on getting that going rather than points on yay or nay, cuz it would come to a vote if that far right?

First thing you need is some pretty broad public support, and then to demonstrate that to some sympathetic politician(s) who will take up your cause in the legislature.

To round up support you need a public presence, a website, facebook, organization name. These guys are on the same page as you, dunno if they have a Cdn chapter. Maybe get in touch with them and see if they can help. http://www.abate.org

I disagree with your whole thought of riding helmet free completely (seriously? you enjoy rocks, debris and insects to the face but also enjoy the thought of brain damage in case of a crash?!?), but if you SERIOUSLY are interested in riding helmet free, start petitions across the province. Once you have X0,000 signatures (100K+ would probably be advisable in Ontario) then take it to the gov't. With any less signatures, the nanny state will simply laugh you out of the building.

Other option - simply move to the USA. Much less hassle involved for you.

I know this is a touchy subject due to the facts...buuuuuut I wanna ride helmet free, I'm going to when I go thru the states with the partial laws, anyways to the point! Petition to open the law for helmets? Let's say under 21 must wear helmet? How would one get the "official" petition type thing? I don't kno much about the bill/law and all that stuff works... So please, help on getting that going rather than points on yay or nay, cuz it would come to a vote if that far right?

It's easy.Go to school for a long time,study politics,get elected,change the law.

Or you could move to the USA.

If you "truly" believe this is a good idea then have courage to support your conviction and ride now without a helmet and face all the fines that come along with, our cause. If one truly believes in a cause then they should at minimum be willing to face the consequences of those convictions. But I doubt your conviction is that strong.

Now I would support your request to be permitted to ride without a helmet as long as a few "conditions" are met first.

1. Seeing that we have universal health care you MUST be willing to sign a waiver that states if you are injured while riding without a helmet, then not ONE CENT of health care costs will be covered. If this means your left as a vegetable or die then so be it.
2. You MUST purchase a "special rider" on your motorcycle insurance that says, (IF thy were willing to offer such a rider), that YOUR insurer will pay 100% of ANY injury incurred while riding without a helmet.
3. The police MUST be permitted to stop you when riding without a helmet to check for this "special rider", (it would have to be noted on your pink slip). IF you are found not to have the rider then it is an automatic 30 day bike impound, 3 months licence suspension and a HEAVY fine, (Say $5,000 for first offence).
4. I don't want MY insurance to increase to cover this increased risk so I want the insurers to charge whatever they need to ensure they will recoup their losses in the event they have to pay MILLIONS to rehabilitate you, (I would suggest $5,000 PER MONTH surcharge).

Now feel free to ride without a helmet...lol

BTW as someone else stated just not going to happen even if you had 1,000,000 signatories to a petition. Once they permitted motorcyclists to ride without helmet how long do you think it would be before some moron sued the province for being forced to wear a seat belt? Or when someone's family sues the province as they were injured or killed while riding without a helmet? You may feel it is what you WANT to do, but I assure you your parents feel differently.

If you truly feel the need to ride without a helmet, move to a place that permits it. I DON'T want to pay ONE CENT more in either insurance or health care dollars so you can be IRRESPONSIBLE.

Really man? If the Sikhs, who have a somewhat "valid" reason, couldn't get it passed here you NEVER will.

You should get in touch with the motorcycle manufacturers, they would be your best bet.

For those people who have had their posts deleted, please review (AGAIN!) the posting rules for this sub forum.

You should get in touch with the motorcycle manufacturers, they would be your best bet.

That would be the MMIC. Abate Canada has been trying for years, without success.

If you're serious about doing this I would suggest talking to your MPP, with a fully written-up idea, and see if he would submit it as a private member's bill. In order to convince him/her you would likely need to have the a fore-mentioned petition.

See what I mean by touchy subject? Lol so abate eh? I'll look into it, and in the mean time, ride thru the states

Manufacturers want no part of it. Brains spilled on the road are bad for business.

Given that their representative organization is the MMIC, I would tend to agree that the manufacturers wouldn't be an ideal group to approach about helmet laws. They were pushing for certain higher grade international helmet standards to be recognized and given their mission statement, which can be found here: http://www.mmic.ca/content.asp?ContentId=1171

That's why I suggested that the OP go directly to his regional rep.

Given that their representative organization is the MMIC, I would tend to agree that the manufacturers wouldn't be an ideal group to approach about helmet laws. They were pushing for certain higher grade international helmet standards to be recognized and given their mission statement, which can be found here: http://www.mmic.ca/content.asp?ContentId=1171

That's why I suggested that the OP go directly to his regional rep.

Actually the Euro standard (ECE 22-05) is no more stringent than the DOT standard. The push by MMIC for provincial recognition in legislation of the Euro standard seems to have more to do with saving the industry money on reduced certification fees and making higher profit margins on supposedly superior helmets.

AFJ

Actually the Euro standard (ECE 22-05) is no more stringent than the DOT standard. The push by MMIC for provincial recognition in legislation of the Euro standard seems to have more to do with saving the industry money on reduced certification fees and making higher profit margins on supposedly superior helmets.

AFJ

I in no way meant to imply that those European standards are higher than what we currently employ; simply that they were not low standards.

Back
Top Bottom