Selling Ownership to a Motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling Ownership to a Motorcycle

puttockc

Let's play the What if game.

Jughead wants to sell his ownership because the bike will not be registered on the street ever again, but it's still got it's vin and it is in streetable condition.

If I buy his ownership and it's signed over to me... don't I then legally own the bike? couldn't I just take it?

Other than the guy physically stopping me and then police BS BS, leave all that out.

If Man A sells Man B the ownership to a motorcycle, with the intent of taking to the bike to a track, down Man B own the Bike?

TIA

-Chris

Jughead wants to sell his ownership because the bike will not be registered on the street ever again, but it's still got it's vin and it is in streetable condition.

If I buy his ownership and it's signed over to me... don't I then legally own the bike? couldn't I just take it?

Other than the guy physically stopping me and then police BS BS, leave all that out.

If Man A sells Man B the ownership to a motorcycle, with the intent of taking to the bike to a track, down Man B own the Bike?

TIA

-Chris

Why would someone sell/buy the ownership without the frame and VIN that goes along with it....... (Other than to do something illegal with)

If he signed the ownership over and filled out the BOS on say the UVIP with no explanation that is was just the ownership, you could technically register it to your name and then go pick up the bike. (It will probably take police and a lot of court BS)

Last edited:
Somebody posted a similar question a few weeks ago, a person in kijiji was selling his ownership (not selling the bike, but selling the “ownership”). It is a legal question with a few technicalities, I guess only an actual lawyer could answer it. This is what I understand:

The first thing that comes to mind is the concept of property </SPAN>and title</SPAN>. The motorcycle is property</SPAN>, the ownership (the registration of the vehicle with the MTO) is the property title</SPAN>.

Can Jughead sell his motorcycle </SPAN>(the vehicle itself)? Yes, as you know, it is legal in Canada and the fundamental part of business. The motorcycle is his property and he can transfer ownership to a buyer, who would becomes the new legal owner.

Can Jughead sell the property title </SPAN>(registration or ownership)? No, technically it is an administrative artifact, the piece of paper itself has no value whatsoever. Perhaps it is even illegal to "sell it" (fraudulent representation).

In your example, if Jughead actually convinces someone and "sells" the paper, will the buyer own the paper, or the paper AND the motorcycle? Well, if a man knowingly buys a piece of paper by itself, he will only own a piece of paper (even if he pays $20,000 for it, he is only buying the paper). Depends on many things. Are we talking about forcing him out of the motorcycle on a technicality? Will a bill of sale (contract) be created for the transaction?

:boxing:</SPAN></SPAN>

TIA

-Chris

At this point Jughead would let slip that what he actually sold to you was the VIN, which is when the police would haul you both in for questioning. When someone offers to sell you their 'ownership' it's the VIN and associated documentation that they're giving you which is illegal, in and of itself, let alone what nefarious purpose for which it might have been purchased.

There is nothing illegal buying ownership with unfit brand, you can legally buy new frame from manufacturer and stamp it by authorized dealer and go on rebuilding the bike till it's ready for safety, but I don't c the point putting it together from separate parts will cost you 50% more the market price of a ready unit, unless you pay peanuts for ownership.

When selling my track bike I got more emails about the title then the actual bike. Lots of crooks out there

So in the end since the ownership represents the bike, if you have an ownership in your name, and you can prove that the bike is the one shown on the ownership, via VIN for example, then you just claim it as your own and the law is on your side.

You
Can scam the scammers

Sent from my iPhone using a
strange app for damaged people
With the Holidays upon us, I would like to share a personal experience with my family and friends about drinking and driving.

As you may know, some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends. Well, two days ago, I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by a bottle of great Bordeaux. Feeling jolly, I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something that I've never done before ----- I took a cab home.

Sure enough, on the way home, there was a police road block, but since it was a cab, they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage, I don't know what to do with it, but since my birthday is coming up, I might just take it out for a spin.

So in the end since the ownership represents the bike, if you have an ownership in your name, and you can prove that the bike is the one shown on the ownership, via VIN for example, then you just claim it as your own and the law is on your side.

You
Can scam the scammers

Sent from my iPhone using a
strange app for damaged people
With the Holidays upon us, I would like to share a personal experience with my family and friends about drinking and driving.

As you may know, some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends. Well, two days ago, I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by a bottle of great Bordeaux. Feeling jolly, I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something that I've never done before ----- I took a cab home.

Sure enough, on the way home, there was a police road block, but since it was a cab, they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage, I don't know what to do with it, but since my birthday is coming up, I might just take it out for a spin.

Well played. I almost had a slight bit of faith brought back to this forum and it's members. The ending reminded me of the reality.

FWIW unless it's changed in the last few years the police won't help you reclaim your property if there is a civil element to the situation. They will tell you to see a JP, lawyer, judge whatever. So if you have the title but the bike "Owner" refuses to let it go you're up a creek without a lawyer.

Am I missing something. Why would someone buy the ownership for a bike and leave the bike in the other persons possession anyhow. What value does the buyer get from having the ownership in his name. I just don't get it??????

Am I missing something. Why would someone buy the ownership for a bike and leave the bike in the other persons possession anyhow. What value does the buyer get from having the ownership in his name. I just don't get it??????

So they can register their salvaged bike under that title you just sold them. It's because no one ever really looks if the vin matches the ownership, other then potential buyers.

So they can register their salvaged bike under that title you just sold them. It's because no one ever really looks if the vin matches the ownership, other then potential buyers.

Or, as previously mentioned, the whole registering a stolen bike thing.

Guess it's possible with any ownership for any bike. For example, buy a Yamaha ownership and paint Yamaha on a Gixxer tank and you're good to ride. lol

Unless the cop knows his bikes.....and some do.

Back
Top Bottom