exhaust, noise, catalytic converter question.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

exhaust, noise, catalytic converter question..

rinCode

I've been doing a lot of reading on here regarding noise and aftermarket exhaust systems. From what I understand, it's illegal to remove the catalytic converter from your motorcycle if it originally came with one. I think all motorcycles need one anyways to pass the e-test. So then, full system exhaust modifcations are out of the question in Ontario. If someone were to do it anyways, what are the odds of them getting caught? I would presume you would get caught when you go in to do your e-test? I assume that no one has made a full system exhaust modification, but if you have and somehow got away with it, I'd be interested to hear your story. Or maybe many people currently have full system exhaust mods? This is my first motorcycle and no one in my circle has one, so I really don't know what other people do with their bikes. Anyways, I just bought a 2013 cbr250 and REALLY dislike the design of the muffler. Are slipons my only option? Are they even an option? Or will I still potentially get ticketed for noise?

Wall of text, wall of answers. No emission testing for motorcycles in Ontario. There is a theoretical possibility to get a ticket for removing a catalyst, but at least so far in Ontario, this is seldom enforced for motorcycles. Lots and lots of people replace exhaust systems, most aftermarket exhausts are technically illegal, but the Ontario HTA law on mufflers is vague and seldom enforced. Some municipalities have more specific noise-testing bylaws, but reasonable aftermarket exhaust systems will generally barely pass, exhaust systems with no mufflers or grossly undersized muffflers will not. Your cbr250 entire exhaust system is welded into one piece front to back (with a cosmetic cover bolted on), so no "slip-on" for you unless you cut it apart, and if you cut it apart and end up being the unfortunate soul who gets a ticket, you'll be buying a new one, and you might want to check the price of a new exhaust system from Honda before you start cutting!

Wall of text, wall of answers. No emission testing for motorcycles in Ontario. There is a theoretical possibility to get a ticket for removing a catalyst, but at least so far in Ontario, this is seldom enforced for motorcycles. Lots and lots of people replace exhaust systems, most aftermarket exhausts are technically illegal, but the Ontario HTA law on mufflers is vague and seldom enforced. Some municipalities have more specific noise-testing bylaws, but reasonable aftermarket exhaust systems will generally barely pass, exhaust systems with no mufflers or grossly undersized muffflers will not. Your cbr250 entire exhaust system is welded into one piece front to back (with a cosmetic cover bolted on), so no "slip-on" for you unless you cut it apart, and if you cut it apart and end up being the unfortunate soul who gets a ticket, you'll be buying a new one, and you might want to check the price of a new exhaust system from Honda before you start cutting!

Couldn't you weld it back together?

thats great to hear! i wasnt aware that motorcycles were exempt from emission tests. i dont plan on going overboard with noise so as long as i dont get caught for not having a cat, i should be fine then. thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom