2 stroke maintenance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 stroke maintenance?

ajaxguy

So I am a rookie when it comes to 2 strokes... and I got my son a 50 2 stroke and I have no idea about ratios for mixing to preserve its life. Its a KTM 50. he said he used amsoil all the time and would put a cap full in with the gas. Like I said im a complete newb so wondering what you guys suggest? also, any other things that need to be checked more regularly on these lil 2 strokes?

Are you saying the previous owner's method for premixing the oil/gas was to "put a cap full in with the gas"??

If so, that is not the correct way to measure the premix ratio. I'm sure the manual will give you a premix ratio and you should "premix" it in a jerry can before filling the bike.

Other than, change the trans oil and generally check all bolts, chain tension, cleanliness, etc and have fun.

Are you saying the previous owner's method for premixing the oil/gas was to "put a cap full in with the gas"??

If so, that is not the correct way to measure the premix ratio. I'm sure the manual will give you a premix ratio and you should "premix" it in a jerry can before filling the bike.

Other than, change the trans oil and generally check all bolts, chain tension, cleanliness, etc and have fun.

Actually I think he pre mixed it with a jerry can but with a cap full of the oil if that makes sense. I will read the manual, just havent yet. I think its 32:1 for most though right?

Actually I think he pre mixed it with a jerry can but with a cap full of the oil if that makes sense. I will read the manual, just havent yet. I think its 32:1 for most though right?

The key is to actually measure the ratio, not just throw a capful in and hope for the best.

Ratio also changes from oil to oil. We used to run Opti 2 in the late 90s in my KX125 at 70:1 with no top end issues. 40:1 seems to be the going ratio these days though.

The key is to actually measure the ratio, not just throw a capful in and hope for the best.

Doing that (throwing in a capful) is a potentially expensive gamble.

Jeff
'87 RZ 350

Assuming the volume of the cap isn't changing (hasn't changed on Amsoil bottles in the last 13 years that I've been using it) then maybe it's not so insane. 2.3L gas tank on the 50SX, so 2300/40=57.5ml of oil. I don't have a cap handy to measure it, but it might not be so crazy.

EDIT: Never mind, I missed by a factor of 10. 10 capfuls might give you 57.5ml. Let's hope your previous owner was filling up the tank long before it was empty and putting in a capful each time!

Maybe this capful, haha...
686624614_o.jpg

Last edited:
Did you happen to ask the previous owner about how he maintained the bike? If he wasn't too concerned about proper oil/fuel ratios I'd be scared about how he treated the bike otherwise!

Regardless if a capful is the correct amount. 'knowing' how much to add is the key.

Like Nok said, you need to 'know'. That's done by talking to the guys that run that bike.

Jeff
'87 RZ 350

KTM manual usually specs 60:1 for big bikes,you need to get your hands on a manual.I was running 60:1 no problem with Motul synthetic,you can run more oil you just need to adjust jetting accordingly.Carry extra plugs when your kids are starting out,so you can change them if they get fouled while learning to ride.A 4stroke would be a better choice for anybody to learn on.I checked on a 2012 50sx and they recommend 60:1 mix with 92unleaded.

Last edited:
KTM manual usually specs 60:1 for big bikes,you need to get your hands on a manual.I was running 60:1 no problem with Motul synthetic,you can run more oil you just need to adjust jetting accordingly.Carry extra plugs when your kids are starting out,so you can change them if they get fouled while learning to ride.A 4stroke would be a better choice for anybody to learn on.I checked on a 2012 50sx and they recommend 60:1 mix with 92unleaded.

I have the manual, the guy gave it to me I just havent looked yet... i know lazy. Plus wanted to see what you guys were doing with them, but they are all slightly different so I will have a look. I will def carry extra plugs though..good idea!
I was going to get him a 4 stroke honda 50 but most didnt have an ownership and the others were out to left field and i had a budget. So I saw this one and it is in amazing shape... and its got the plate and ownership and it cost me less then the 4 strokes were going for, so that was the deal there. Plus he does want to race so if he does, this will be great for that.

I was going to get him a 4 stroke honda 50 but most didnt have an ownership and the others were out to left field and i had a budget. So I saw this one and it is in amazing shape... and its got the plate and ownership and it cost me less then the 4 strokes were going for, so that was the deal there..

Really? My asking was more than fair and the helmet, boots and armour for $30 was also more than fair.....

Really? My asking was more than fair and the helmet, boots and armour for $30 was also more than fair.....

No offense but you were firm in $1000 I believe? maybe even slightly more. Either way, it worked out as I didnt want a 70 after all.... got the 50 and gonna get an crf 100 for the older one. Im sure you will sell it though... lots of people looking

No offense but you were firm in $1000 I believe? maybe even slightly more. Either way, it worked out as I didnt want a 70 after all.... got the 50 and gonna get an crf 100 for the older one. Im sure you will sell it though... lots of people looking

No offense? Then don't post on an open internet forum that I was out in left field. You never even came and looked at it. And you knew my asking before I took it out of storage, bought it south and told you it was available to see. You just started at $200 under my asking.

I am glad for you that you got a bike. As we discussed at length dirt, street and racing with my kids over the years has been a highlight of my life, not just an enjoyment.

I wish you well.

No offense? Then don't post on an open internet forum that I was out in left field. You never even came and looked at it. And you knew my asking before I took it out of storage, bought it south and told you it was available to see. You just started at $200 under my asking.

I am glad for you that you got a bike. As we discussed at length dirt, street and racing with my kids over the years has been a highlight of my life, not just an enjoyment.

I wish you well.

I apologize if there was a communication problem, i thought it was fine. You were willing to go lower on the price then when you brought it home thought it was better then you had thought and stuck firm on your price. i cant help that, but again I apologize if it was my fault.

I get a syringe to take measurements with my lawn mower, does that help?

I get a syringe to take measurements with my lawn mower, does that help?
Exactly what i use also.When mixing at a ratio of 140/1 i need to be really accurate for my trials bike.

I just fill up the tank for my auto lube pump :) after that it's a black hole. Lol

Back
Top Bottom