What exactly is required as far as mufflers go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What exactly is required as far as mufflers go?

drumstyx

My poor little GS400 has a blown left muffler. When I bought it, it had a little hole around the proper hole (that may or may not have been patched before getting it certified ;) ), and of course, with some hard riding, the piece of pipe that the exhaust should be exiting from ended up falling out. It's a bit louder than it used to be, but being a 400, it's no louder than any stock Harley I've ever heard.

My question is, will this certify? Are baffles required? It may actually still have baffles in there, I haven't looked.

If you went to a dealer for a safety, they probably would say that the muffler must be replaced. But there are other garages that can be less critical. Talk to the people you plan to use ahead of time so that there are no surprises.

It's not so much about me; I already own it and had it safetied at the beginning of the season. I'm looking to sell it in road-worthy condition in the spring. I need to put some work into it already, I'm just wondering how much I need to fix such that your average crappy tire will pass it. I can weld a piece of sheet metal in there, and stick the pipe back in (I imagine there's a spot for it to sit in there), more or less just wanted to make sure that would be ok, since it's not much different than just letting it sit as is.

A note: I'm not looking to screw someone on the truly safety related bits of certification. Brakes, suspension, lights, have all been worked on and are in complete working order.

It's not so much about me; I already own it and had it safetied at the beginning of the season. I'm looking to sell it in road-worthy condition in the spring. I need to put some work into it already, I'm just wondering how much I need to fix such that your average crappy tire will pass it. I can weld a piece of sheet metal in there, and stick the pipe back in (I imagine there's a spot for it to sit in there), more or less just wanted to make sure that would be ok, since it's not much different than just letting it sit as is.

A note: I'm not looking to screw someone on the truly safety related bits of certification. Brakes, suspension, lights, have all been worked on and are in complete working order.

You can have my spar gs400 pipes with mufflers just come down and get them all you will need is some kinds of bracket.

Back
Top Bottom