Buying a bike with No Title | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike with No Title

Re: no title

Assuming its not a joke stay away from it. There is also people on kijiji just selling titles and VINs but not a bike itself. That is sketchy **** and asking to be fisted by the long arm of the law.

Without a title you can't register it, which means you cant insure nor ride it on public roads. Without a VIN if you get pulled over you will be in deep trouble as there is no reason to file off a VIN.

If the vin is ground off id stay away. There is no reason to grind it off unless its stolen.

If there was never a vin stamped on the frame it could be a recall or a bike built specifically for racing... cant be registered either way.

In Aus the cops will actually seize the bike and x ray the frame for original numbers if they suspect the vin area has been tampered with..

Somebody its selling a bike with no title , will that be ok, I think its not stolen, doesn't have vin number:confused: its a good price

If the bike doesn't have a title how do you know you're buying it from the owner? The reason the price is good (Low) is there's no honest market for dodgey bikes.

Assuming its not a joke stay away from it. There is also people on kijiji just selling titles and VINs but not a bike itself. That is sketchy **** and asking to be fisted by the long arm of the law.

Without a title you can't register it, which means you cant insure nor ride it on public roads. Without a VIN if you get pulled over you will be in deep trouble as there is no reason to file off a VIN.
.......................................................................................................................................................no the question was not a joke, I just didn't know, and yes its a guy selling a frame with ownership and a bike with no serial number or title , so before I did anithyng I ask you guys. thanks for the answer's

.......................................................................................................................................................no the question was not a joke, I just didn't know, and yes its a guy selling a frame with ownership and a bike with no serial number or title , so before I did anithyng I ask you guys. thanks for the answer's

If there is no VIN as others have said either it was filed off or it was a track only machine. Either case you will not be able to put it on the road.

Grinding marks on the vin stamp = bad. A clean unmarked VIN stamp is not a bad thing (in and of itself) per se.

I had a friend who ordered a brand new litre bike frame (they can be ordered from most all bike manufacturers and come unstamped) and built a bike with it from parts from various sellers. He then took the receipts to the MTO and got a vin for it and got it registered.

It doesn't have to be shady, and it has been done before.

Last edited:

It doesn't have to be but generally is. The scenario you describe is extremely rare.

Generally, often,.... whatever. It is pointless to debate the magnitude of bad to clean non-titled machines. The point is that the lack of a vin is NOT black and white like most have posted, and registering can be done (check with the MTO on their requirements).

It is pointless to debate the magnitude of bad to clean non-titled machines. .

Not true. it's winter time so there isn't much else going on.

So having said that, it is most likely with a high level of accuracy that 99.863% of bikes should have their VIN's intact and for the balance that don't, there is a high likelihood that if the VIN has been ground off it is stolen.

:)

Not true. it's winter time so there isn't much else going on.

So having said that, it is most likely with a high level of accuracy that 99.863% of bikes should have their VIN's intact and for the balance that don't, there is a high likelihood that if the VIN has been ground off it is stolen.

:)

There's really only one reason to grind off/drill out a VIN and that's it, however, new frames, straight from the manufacturer, do not have VINs.

There's really only one reason to grind off/drill out a VIN and that's it, however, new frames, straight from the manufacturer, do not have VINs.

No debate. I was being cheeky with Kxtoxman who was nit picking.

Grinding = bad news. Clean frame with no marks in the blank where the VIN goes should be just fine.

I had a friend who ordered a brand new litre bike frame (they can be ordered from most all bike manufacturers and come unstamped) and built a bike with it from parts from various sellers. He then took the receipts to the MTO and got a vin for it and got it registered.

thought that was only possible prior to 2004

thought that was only possible prior to 2004

Don't know myself either. Have you got any links to show that? There was some basic guidance for hotrods I found on the net that is current, so my supposition was that it still should work for bikes. Still, with a lack of current confirmation, that was the reason for the note in my earlier post of checking with the MTO first.

Last edited:

How is there an ownership with no VIN on the bike? The two should match otherwise its probably not tied together.

How would you know if they even belong together?

How is there an ownership with no VIN on the bike? The two should match otherwise its probably not tied together.

How would you know if they even belong together?

It "appears" the guy doing the selling has a frame WITH a legit VIN AND Ownership as well as bike with NO VIN. I guess the idea being you buy them both then strip the bike and use the "legit" frame and ownership to then register.

Still could be unless it was a track bike the bike with no vin could be stolen and that of course opens a whole new can of worms. Be like buying two cars one complete and the other with just a frame then stripping the complete car as there is "no vin"..lol and making the frame your "legit" vehicle for registration.

Back
Top Bottom