Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review

Ah ah i did but somehow i wasn't ready for that change, my body it was like a molding just for sportbikes.lol I couldn't get use to a diff position.
Perhaps now i can, i want to enjoy more street riding in a relax pace.lol

Ah ah i did but somehow i wasn't ready for that change, my body it was like a molding just for sportbikes.lol I couldn't get use to a diff position.
Perhaps now i can, i want to enjoy more street riding in a relax pace.lol
Same here, I see no fun anymore in riding fast on the street, no point in continuing to have a Sports Bike. I can probably ride as fast with the FZ09 as I did with any street bike and have the advantage of the mount of fun that bike is going to be.

Can't wait.

I still have the race bike, that one ain't going nowhere

Yeah i can't argue with that....let's do it!!! In the spring time we should buy two bikes at the same time that way we can get a better deal.lol

If by spring time you mean this week, then yes lol
Yeah i can't argue with that....let's do it!!! In the spring time we should buy two bikes at the same time that way we can get a better deal.lol

I figure for road riding if I don't like the suspension, most guys on fz09.org are having good results from a spring/oil change in the front and a stock ninja rear shock. This bike has a better engine than a 675r and you could easily bring the suspension up to par with the money saved on initial purchase.
Edit: the throttle doesn't bother me either, yamaha has a reflash for free to smooth it out, there's also a few guys on fz09.org who have worked out a reflash for the stock ecu at $80.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It depends, how well you want to fix the lacking suspension in fz09 .... A lot of guys put more than 1k into it, others just swap springs and oil. Problem is the actual valving which is grossly inadequate .... On a bike with that much power. It 's relatively small footprint machine so the wonderful engine is just too much for it.

As I said in your other thread, I would be shocked if 2015 model didn't have that corrected ... Like in FJ.

It depends, how well you want to fix the lacking suspension in fz09 .... A lot of guys put more than 1k into it, others just swap springs and oil. Problem is the actual valving which is grossly inadequate .... On a bike with that much power. It 's relatively small footprint machine so the wonderful engine is just too much for it.

As I said in your other thread, I would be shocked if 2015 model didn't have that corrected ... Like in FJ.

Afaik, there are no suspension updates to the 2015 fz09. They did however, sort out the issues somewhat on the fj.

How do you know? ... all they need to do is to revalve the bike to dampen it adequately. Hardly something you will most likely see as a different looking fork. They might not even bother changing the parts fiche, because they will keep the internal cartridge the same as a unit.

I think they would be foolish to not give it FJ fork with just shorter travel ....

Reviews, first ride reports, etc everywhere I've looked they're saying yamaha fixed the fuelling, not the suspension for 2015...

I have not seen a quality test review for FZ09 2015 model, you have link? .... yes they made the new map available and it can be uploaded to any model year, so even the rider/owner of 2014 can report the positive change.

I figure for road riding if I don't like the suspension, most guys on fz09.org are having good results from a spring/oil change in the front and a stock ninja rear shock. This bike has a better engine than a 675r and you could easily bring the suspension up to par with the money saved on initial purchase.
Edit: the throttle doesn't bother me either, yamaha has a reflash for free to smooth it out, there's also a few guys on fz09.org who have worked out a reflash for the stock ecu at $80.
The suspension and throttle were the exact two reasons I went from a FZ-6 to my Street Triple. Was gonna be a couple thousand dollars and still might not behave as well as I liked. I wouldn't hold my breath for any simple or particularly effective fix. Dunno why Yamaha can't get their suspension or throttle figured out on these bikes. One of the main advantages of a 3 cylinder is supposed to be its throttle response! They could be just fantastic if it weren't for those shortcomings.

A company can mess up fuel map whether it's twin, 3cyl or 4cyl .... they clearly didn't do their homework, perhaps rushed the release a bit and the result was very noticeable. It's more of power delivery what triple is known for, should be best of both worlds .... Look at MV ... their triples were notoriously bad i in the beginning. It's better now, but still no much for Triumph, especially the one you have.

The suspension though is really mind boggling, how they dropped the ball on this one I have no idea ... and the fix is easy (balance the valving with springs). They showed it in FJ model where the stock forks are miles better and it's basically the same hardware just with longer legs for the extended travel.

I am somewhat sure they will fixt it, question is when ... maybe 2016 with a slight price bump when they finally add ABS ... :-(

My friend with a FZ09 just had his throttle/fuelling done and says the bike is a whole different thing now. He had to have a camchain tensioner replaced at less than 5000 miles BTW

The suspension and throttle were the exact two reasons I went from a FZ-6 to my Street Triple.

Planning this exact same transition for the same reasons + weight/COG difference.

Does the Street Triple feel significantly lighter?

Oh hell ya. It feels far lighter than the weight difference can account for. It's much more nimble due to the shorter wheelbase and steeper rake (I have the R). It's also got huge torque where the Fizzer had none, and all the controls are a lot lighter and more precise, so less effort. It just does what you want like it's reading your mind. I've forgotten the stuff that I used to love about the Fizzer, I'm ashamed to say. But the St3R is that good.

That's what I need.. FZ6 feels like a truck after the Ninja 250.

What do you think about the power difference? -9 on the hp, but +more on the torque I think. Probably doesn't have the top end rush as the I4, I imagine.

Sorry to say in 2015 no ABS is a fail .

That's what I need.. FZ6 feels like a truck after the Ninja 250.

What do you think about the power difference? -9 on the hp, but +more on the torque I think. Probably doesn't have the top end rush as the I4, I imagine.
I have to admit I'm no torque lover. It's fun to do easy wheelies and it makes the bike feel lighter than it is, but I prefer that ever growing thrust that keeps building, building, building with RPM on a peaky engine. An engine that feels like it likes to play.

I ended up putting the Daytona cams and ECU tune in it, but it didn't really feel like much of an improvement. Casacrow here pointed out that I might have to get the cams degreed, which I didn't do. On the track the engine felt sluggish compared to the Fizzer, even though it might have been a bit faster since the hp is a few more than the FZ-6, even before the cam swap. Something like 105 vs 95, roughly (depending on your source).

Back
Top Bottom