Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review

I find the same applies to brakes.

The Yamaha would kill the Triumph anyways.

50 ft lbs of torque in the ST.
65 for the Yamaha....and available at super low rpms to boot.
The lacklustre suspension will be plenty good enough for street use. Change springs and oil weight to suit rider, set sag and be done with it.
Do you really believe most of the street ridden sportbikes have any suspension setup at all for specific riders? Do you think those riders actually go faster after a setup? Do you think they can take advantage of an improved suspension on the street. I see guys with Ohlins on their streetbikes and I laugh. I have met less than a handful of riders who would need anything better than stock suspension. I have ridden a pile of sportbikes, on some very technical roads, at a pace that has put smiles on many riders following me....and never touched one clicker, one adjuster, any preload, ride height, never changed weight of fork oil, or one fork spring. I do it to my racebikes, but for a street ridden bike, it's almost pointless.
Most riders couldn't even tell one way or the other.

Kill where? Riding street?? I am going to use your logic and analogy. .... most riders wouldn't notice 15lbs of torque difference and argue that most would notice a good suspension especially on crappy Ontario roads. Don't really care about going faster, but rather not get ejected from the seat when going over bumps at "moderate" speed.

Somebody said something about brakes or tires ... I can agree with that ... Every modern bikes has overkill brakes in my opinion. Less would be more me thinks. Tires, sure today's tire technology is easily better than my street riding opportunities. No question about that.

I hate the looks of naked bikes. And at 850 or so cc it'd cost more on insurance for me.

I'll consider this when I'm old maybe

I would compare this to more interesting bikes like the Brutale, the Tuono or the new KTM but at the price of it, it's hard. If you were planning to put suspension work and do track days, etc. on it then I'd recommend the Tuono instead (twin or v4 really) because it comes kitted with all you need, but for those planning to just have a decent bike for the street I've already recommended this bike to a friend of mine in Louisiana who has a track bike (a new rider, he started out his riding debut coming to Deal's Gap with a group of us this year and then followed up with multiple track days on his SV650... that's how you do it).

FWIW, the 675 Triple R is also a really good bike. Except for a bit of motor, I think it's still a better bike than the FZ-9 but again... if you're going to spend that kind of money, the Tuono is sitting there at the same price as the STR with another 50hp to the tire, the electronics package, Brembo monoblocs, etc.

Loved my triple when I had it, tractable power at all RPM.

I'm thinking to fly down south and take one for a test drive. Maybe rent one if possible and see what it's like. Plus get some winter riding in!!!!

Looks like a fun toy but for how long, plus don't want to give up my gxsr.

Maybe do a bulk purchase if there is a dealer that would like the business and give a great deal.

I would compare this to more interesting bikes like the Brutale, the Tuono or the new KTM but at the price of it, it's hard. If you were planning to put suspension work and do track days, etc. on it then I'd recommend the Tuono instead (twin or v4 really)

A $15000 bike is better than a $8000 bike. Really. The FZ09 is not a track bike.

If a person wants a good road bike, lots of power, naked for around $8k, they can get a slightly used Ducati Monster, which has the brakes and suspension already sorted.

A $15000 bike is better than a $8000 bike. Really. The FZ09 is not a track bike.

Which is why I recommended it to my friend in LA.

The guys who reviewed the bike in OP video, said the same thing for suspension and brakes about CBR600RR during the sportbike shootout if I recall correctly. So, their understanding of "good" is way above avg.

This was their mistake during this review (and in general) I think. They were supposed to compare it to GS650F, SV1000, FZ1, FZ6R, Ninja 1000, CB1000F and so on... as I'm sure the suspension and brake components on FZ-09 are not much different than FZ1, if not identical, but they had to compare it to Ohlins and Brembo, which doesn't make sense as pointed out from the price point.

Having said that, the suspension feel/travel on my FZ6 is 10x worse than on Ninja 250. I could corner with ease on the Ninja, while it's so much harder (to me) on the Fazer.

Good luck with that, all I see for rentals in the US is Harleys.

Just fyi, Yamaha, Honda, and Triumph bikes are available for rent in Chicago, on top of the Harleys. Also supersports.

Go to the website http://www.eaglerider.com/chicago/
And click on the drop down menu to select the brand you want. It will show you later on the specifc models that are available. These guys are closed until April 1 2014, because the winter in Chicago is pretty much the same than in the GTA, but this is only an example, obviously they rent in other cities as well

For super sports, go here:
http://www.ridemfast.com/

They have these bikes for rent:
2010 BMW S1000RR
2010 BMW K1300S
2012 Ducati Panigale S
2012 Ducati Multistrada
2011 Aprilia RSV4

I have rented from eaglerider, but most locations in California are Harley. Spent three days once on a "Sportster" (still giggle when I say that aloud).

Twin MT-07 @ 75hp, not coming to North America

[video=youtube;hu4FEwacDio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4FEwacDio[/video]

Unless you're at a racetrack, the FZ9 will spank your R6 everywhere, regardless what day of the week it is,LOL
More power, less weight, better riding position, way more leverage with that upright bar. And let's face it, the better suspension on your R6 can't be exploited on roads unless you want to go to jail or risk death. Even awesome roads like in the Smoky Mountains, an upright naked bike will destroy it's sportbike counterpart.

No jail time if you don't get caught silly. Quite the opinionated comment to my post, saying that I would like this as an every day rider because one of my current bikes isn't the most practical. Would be a great bike to boot around on and go everywhere with, would prefer a sport bike for the weekend rides with friends.

Internet is a wonderful place filled with special people..

Last edited:
Cycle Canada has a review and they like all love the engine. Nice engine shame about the rest of it. No abs, no name brakes and suspension. But great value. Yamaha needs to bring R version with the good bits but then it would position it against some much better bikes.

Entertaining review of the MT-09. Worth a watch even if hooligan/naked/street fighter bikes (or whatever you would classify this bike as) are not your thing.

:toothy8:

[video=youtube;QmcOKMX3UNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcOKMX3UNw[/video]

Entertaining review of the MT-09. Worth a watch even if hooligan/naked/street fighter bikes (or whatever you would classify this bike as) are not your thing.

:toothy8:

Funny review....foodus that porkchop was funny.Bike seems to have a good fun factor.

I loved the places in the video. First thought Southern Turkey, but it's the outskirts of Lisbon I think.

This bike, more than any other to date, has me wanting to replace my KTM
I am seriously thinking is time to get rid of my street GSXR 750 for the Fz09 - it looks like a lot of fun.

I am seriously thinking is time to get rid of my street GSXR 750 for the Fz09 - it looks like a lot of fun.

Lol- same here but i'm not sure which one to get rid- the r1 or the r6...uhmmm

Back
Top Bottom