Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motor Trend Yamaha FZ9 review

I would likely sort out the forks with a spring change and heavier oil, which is cheap. Get rid of that plate/signal thing hanging off the back. Clipons and bar-ends. I would even consider swapping the headlight.

They look awesome in the 70s orange metallic.

2014-Yamaha-FZ-09-Blazing-Orange-right.jpg

+1 It's the waiting that's difficult.

As for the MT-09, it's very nice to see another triple hitting the market.

Triples always made sense, best bang-for-the-buck, and the best of a torquey twin and a straight four. I think 4's are going to cost too much to make in the future.

I always liked the laverdas

Laverda_Jota1.jpg

I really like MT-09, especially at the price. With the demand, what are the chances the price will remain stable? Is the subframe strong enough to support a top box. One big enough to hold a top hat. The gas tank could use more capacity.
Every bike I own started with bad suspension. I've found transmission fluid and messing with compression hole size on damper rod forks to be an effective low budget fix. Maybe not on a 105 hp bike, who knows?

so what does ATF equate to in fork oil weight?

I believe it's 5wt.

I don't know but doubt it's 5wt.

example: I was doing a cartridge emulator install on Triumph Scrambler forks this spring. Did not have means to cut steel preload spacer perfectly square. Needed to source sch. 80 pvc pipe for preload spacer so put forks back together except I drilled the compression holes out to 1/4 in. and used cheapo trans fluid. The fork worked so good that I didn't feel the bother to go back in to make right. Will do this winter. Also have 20 ft. of sch.80 x 1.5 lol.

I thought ATF was 20wt...or close to it

I googled it and it seems that it might be 10wt..

Last edited:
Sounds like a winner. Its a lot easier to sort out the suspension bits than to make a crappy engine run better.

$8500....thats SV650 money with 40hp more.

Back in the day Honda recomended ATF in the owner's manual. I'd suspect ATF to be 5wt as that was stock in most bikes. Well good enough to use as a fork flush i guess.

Waiting for R version .... Don't ever want to buy a bike which need suspension work from day one. That will also give Yamaha ample time to fix the reportedly not very good fuelling. Not like Yamaha .... I guess the price made them cut corners at few places.

but it's winter! perfect time to get suspension done.

This and the street have around the same curb weight, right? They're are year away from killing to street triple!

This and the street have around the same curb weight, right? They're are year away from killing to street triple!

If the Fizzer does well, you can bet Triumph will respond quick. They already have an 800 triple in the Tiger, right?

The Japanese always go cheap on streetbike suspension. It's tradition! Fork re-spring is $100 + Ebay SS rear shock and you're golden. The (claimed) crummy fueling would be more of a concern.

ATF = 2.75 wt...I run it in the hydr. clutch system in my KTM insetad of the expensive mineral oil KTM specs.

A few guys on the fz1 board have these now and love them. Less power than the fazer but a wheelie monster. One guy had traxxion rework the forks (apparently they are really basic stock) with ak20s and a custom penske out back. If Ivan supports this like he has the fz1 it will be a true hooligan machine.

I want one.

Most likely my next bike... Luckily I have a childhood friend that is a Yamaha dealer.

It's not the time it takes .... it's rather the fiddling which will never make it as good as good forks and shock to start with .... You can change springs, oil, but if the design of the fork is missing adjustment or has one of those on/off rebounds it will never be as good. You can give it to Sharard to completely rework but it will cost you, right?

Yep curb is about the same as ST. Triple's handling is legendary though with a proven engine. It's clear Yamaha priced the bike under ST, but is it enough? Not sure .... still a great bike either way obviously.

The Yamaha would kill the Triumph anyways.

50 ft lbs of torque in the ST.
65 for the Yamaha....and available at super low rpms to boot.
The lacklustre suspension will be plenty good enough for street use. Change springs and oil weight to suit rider, set sag and be done with it.
Do you really believe most of the street ridden sportbikes have any suspension setup at all for specific riders? Do you think those riders actually go faster after a setup? Do you think they can take advantage of an improved suspension on the street. I see guys with Ohlins on their streetbikes and I laugh. I have met less than a handful of riders who would need anything better than stock suspension. I have ridden a pile of sportbikes, on some very technical roads, at a pace that has put smiles on many riders following me....and never touched one clicker, one adjuster, any preload, ride height, never changed weight of fork oil, or one fork spring. I do it to my racebikes, but for a street ridden bike, it's almost pointless.
Most riders couldn't even tell one way or the other.

Last edited:
I find the same applies to tires.

yup....When I sold my GSXR, the new owner insisted he was much too fast a rider to use the sport touring tires that were on it for me (023)....so I put new Pilot Power 2CT's on it and kept the 023's for my KTM....and proceeded to wear down the footpegs on it with them for 2 seasons, and they still have almost 50% tread left after more than 15,000 kms. Hypersport tires for road riding are a waste of $ IMHO too nowadays. You simply can't exploit their benefits without dying or going to jail.....and even then, you'd have to be a talented rider to do it on a road.

Back
Top Bottom