Off road Permits and Insurance Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off road Permits and Insurance Question

SyntaxBaby

Hello All,

Im very pleased to have come across this fantastic forum! Im in my late 20's and have been riding dirt bikes for a few years in Europe. Shopping for a dirt bike now and just wondering what permits / insurance should i have as im looking to keep everything legal etc.

If i understand correctly i need a "green plate" from MTO?, and if so, does it make sense that i should only buy a bike with ownership as ill have to present it to MTO when i buy the plate? ps. how much does it cost etc... ?

in addition, it is my understanding that since im not riding on the road the usual automotive coverage is not needed.... could someone please elaborate or point me in the right direction? I only intend to ride off road and very excited about some ice racing sessions

I greatly appreciate all the help in advance!

PS. Im in Toronto and my in-laws are in Keswick. Ill be getting a bike within a next couple weeks (just have to make sure it fits in my station wagon, so probably will keep it to a smaller 250 or 125... ) If anyone needs any help with mechanical stuff ill be glad to get together, ive taken a fair share of carbs and transmissions apart and can hopefully lend a helping hand.

Thanks

Green plate is correct. You will need an ownership to get one.
If you plan on doing any trail riding, you will need off-road insurance. Statefarm is the cheapest, from what I understand.

Hmm If I buy a dirt bike to ride on private property do I still need green plate and Insurance etc? What do these usually cost.

Hmm If I buy a dirt bike to ride on private property do I still need green plate and Insurance etc? What do these usually cost.

Private property, no you don't need any insurance or plate. I think my plate was $30 (one time fee) and insurance with StateFarm, including theft value of $2600 is about $130/year IIRC.

Ill be getting a bike within a next couple weeks (just have to make sure it fits in my station wagon, so probably will keep it to a smaller 250 or 125... )

Fit it IN your station wagon? Wow, it's going to have to be a big station wagon or a small bike. Adult 125's and 250's aren't any smaller than 450's.

Fit it IN your station wagon? Wow, it's going to have to be a big station wagon or a small bike. Adult 125's and 250's aren't any smaller than 450's.

Last summer I was following a guy on Highway 19 that was clearly coming from Gopher Dunes... had either a 250/450 with the back wheel taken off stuffed into the back of a Ford Escape with the tail gate up... so... you never know :)

By the way, I should add that this jack *** was driving down the road with his dirt goggles on still, and was a total lunatic!! I got a good chuckle though.

Private property, no you don't need any insurance or plate. I think my plate was $30 (one time fee) and insurance with StateFarm, including theft value of $2600 is about $130/year IIRC.

Thats actually reasonable, I was expecting "thousands" ala Ontario Style.

Does this apply to any private property or just your own private property?

Does this apply to any private property or just your own private property?

Well I suppose if it isn't your private land, and even if you're there with permission, and somebody gets hurt, somebody could sue, and then it gets ugly.

Right, you don't need it if it is on your own property, but you need it anywhere else (except for facilities like organized motocross tracks that have their own blanket liability insurance policy)

Insurance and a green plate is legally needed on any property you don't own except for tracks that have their own.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ok so im looking at buying 3 or 4 dirtbikes for me and my kids to do some trail riding and maybe they may do some recreational riding, but alot of the dirtbikes i emailed for the kids bikes they dont seem to have ownerships. Why would they not? So if I buy it and want to take them trail riding I cant right as i need a green plate and cannot get that without the ownership.

Ok so im looking at buying 3 or 4 dirtbikes for me and my kids to do some trail riding and maybe they may do some recreational riding, but alot of the dirtbikes i emailed for the kids bikes they dont seem to have ownerships. Why would they not? So if I buy it and want to take them trail riding I cant right as i need a green plate and cannot get that without the ownership.
It's not uncommon. See: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ems-getting-ownership-for-dirtbike-in-ontario

You could contact OFTR, (Off Road Trail Riders) Association. They deal with Dirt bikes and sell permits for "some trails" Yes a green plate is $30 one time fee, (same as ATV's). insurance isn't much I had my 2012 Can AM 1000 ATV fully u=insured including collision for about $250 per year.

Except for Dirt bike facilities which have their own coverage you require insurance EVERYWHERE except your own property. This includes if a friend has a farm and lets you ride there. Now will you get a ticket for no insurance riding on his land? Nope the OPP I deal with for off road ATV's trecommends you carry WRITTEN permission to ride on the land and they said the ONLY way they would lay a charge is if the land owner called and complained.

But the BEST reason to carry insurance even for private property MANY MANY years ago i had a friend who got permission to ride on his buddies farm He assured his friend if he ever got hurt not to worry about it. Well of course he was a young family man and eventually crashed broke his neck and was paralyzed. His family and wife pushed as he needed therapy and constant care, (not to mention could no longer work), so they sued his friend and won. initially the friend's insurance company denied coverage as their client had "extended permission. The friend had to sue his own insurer stating there was NO permission and the person was in fact illegally trespassing It was a real mess.

In the end the rider won his law suit the friend won his and insurance paid up, but the legal fees were so high etc he ended up losing his farm. So for the sake of $250 per year it is the BEST investment you can make. When hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars from injuries are on the lines your best friend could become your worst nightmare/enemy...

Back
Top Bottom