First Major Long Distance Tour Plan | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Major Long Distance Tour Plan

^This

So many reasons to be out on the road before the sun rises, other than making the most of the daylight:

- You get to see spectacular sunrises
- If you're traveling in the dead of summer in a hot climate, the best riding temperature/humidity is before 1PM
- You have the road to yourself, no rush hour, commuters or tourist traffic
- Breakfast becomes the first break, instead of delaying your departure another hour or so
- You can find a shady spot after lunch and take a guilt-free, worry-free nap when your natural circadian rhythm dips right when the day starts to become hot, knowing you've done the majority of your mileage for the day already
Dang, you brought up a lot of good points I couldn't even think of previously.

I've talked to a few family members and read up, and yeah, I think I may need to shave off a couple thousand km.

I do 500k - 600km days all the time, but an ST with a full fairing and a Russell Day Long saddle make it very easy. A long weekend to Ohio and WV is a couple of days down and then a straight shot back on Sunday with slab and a few back roads at about 950km door-to-door. It's a long day and I certainly would not want to do back to back 1000km per day rides.

^This

So many reasons to be out on the road before the sun rises, other than making the most of the daylight:

- You get to see spectacular sunrises
- If you're traveling in the dead of summer in a hot climate, the best riding temperature/humidity is before 1PM
- You have the road to yourself, no rush hour, commuters or tourist traffic
- Breakfast becomes the first break, instead of delaying your departure another hour or so
- You can find a shady spot after lunch and take a guilt-free, worry-free nap when your natural circadian rhythm dips right when the day starts to become hot, knowing you've done the majority of your mileage for the day already

Thats basically what I do. Nice and quiet when you leave early and cooler temps as well in the the hot months. You can cover a lot of ground and be done riding by 4 or 5 pm, enough time to find a good camp site and relax and enjoy it without pulling in late, tired, putting up your tent as the sun goes down. I like to have a good nights sleep, makes the day much better when I am rested.

This is great in summer, but in higher altitude or colder weather you will be freezing in the morning, so layering is important.
I do like to ride before brunch.

Another tip is to invest in heated grips. It will always be in your bike and the instant comfort from it when it get cold/rain is priceless.

lol Yes, you.

I rode to Montreal once before that trip. Other than that my longest trip was to 507 and back. I bought my bike Feb 2012 and left for the trip in july 2012 with i think 6000km total experience. I figured what better way to gain experience than to ride 11,000 km across the us and back?

This is great in summer, but in higher altitude or colder weather you will be freezing in the morning, so layering is important.
I do like to ride before brunch.

Another tip is to invest in heated grips. It will always be in your bike and the instant comfort from it when it get cold/rain is priceless.

It all depends on how you dress and what sort of wind protection you have. I prefer the cold to the heat and carry many layers to suit many climates. Ultimately ride how you want, but my preference is early, just before the sun rises.

I rode to Montreal once before that trip. Other than that my longest trip was to 507 and back. I bought my bike Feb 2012 and left for the trip in july 2012 with i think 6000km total experience. I figured what better way to gain experience than to ride 11,000 km across the us and back?

Nice =)

Similarly, my longest trip prior to my first tour was to Wasaga Beach, ON from North York lol So, I had no clue or expectations regarding what I could push on the Ninja 250 for my first trip.
Farthest I went in a single day on Trip 1 was something around 1100kms, and on Trip 2 to California, it was 1355kms.

Well that is a cool thing...changes my plans - thanks

•••

Getting moving just at sunup is a key to doing long days.

Speaking of Lk Michigan ferries there is also the highspeed Lake Express from Muskegon to Milwaukee which is a little closer but then you're landing in Milwaukee.. still better than going thru Chicago anyday. Note that the fare per bike doesn't include your fare and it looks like they've now added a fuel surcharge and security and port tax for an additional $18 on top of the quoted fare. Getting really pricey http://www.lake-express.com/about-us/about.html

Last edited:
My pleasure. I'm looking forward to your ride report, MacDoc.

Well after that little gem was presented our travel world turned upside down.....in a good way.

We had been hankering to go back to Alaska by road after a lovely cruise up the inside passage to see Glacier Bay two summers back...

We could not get to Glacier Bay by any other way than boat and the trip up the coast was lovely - interesting towns.

P1000958.jpg

tho this land based glacier was accessible.

accessglacier.jpg

When you mentioned that short cut across lake Michigan a few things fell together and we realized we could get to Lake Louise from Toronto in 3 days and a bit taking that route with the Honda Odyssey and two drivers. The ferry trip being a nice break at end of first day. ( 680 km to the ferry from Mississauga )
GF can get 4 weeks in July so we have 3 weeks touring from Banff and Jasper and north up the Alaska Highway and rattle around Alaska and back south as the wind and available roads allow.

The CanAm Highway is something I've wanted to do as I hitched up there when I was a kid in 1967 and always wanted to drive it. At least it's paved now instead of the 1200 miles of gravel when I hitched to Tok.

Then we can take the ferry from Alaska to Vancouver Island and drive down that, ferry to Vancouver and then the long haul home through the Rockies and will decide whether to go north of Superior based on time.

We can even sleep in the van if needed and both enjoy road trips ( nothing like an Aussie to be comfortable with long distances ).

Using our own vehicle saves car rental ( cheapest I could find out of Vancouver was $1100 plus tax ) and my flight out west ( $800 or so return ) and I bought the Odyssey specifically for this kind of trip as well as business use. It's okay on gas and roomy and very reliable. Jude's additional cost from LA to Toronto instead of Vancouver is marginal and she got a super deal on the Aus to LA route for July.

My hands have been really bothering me on trips here in Aus on the ST1100 so 3 weeks of cross country on the Burgman in June I was worried about even tho it's more comfortable than the ST - 1-2 hours of agony each morning until whatever happens loosens off was not something I was looking forward to tho I've done a couple of 1,000 km days and felt okay.

Jude is getting home early today and we have the place to ourselves this weekend with the girls away at a wedding so we will get flights arranged and firm up an itinerary....all from a mention of a ferry short cut!!!! :D
See whatcha done ;)

Last edited:
I see from your map u are coming up or down through Moab - You have to go into the Arches National Park - (you will kick yourself if you don't)
You will be on the road so it is not out of the way.
Then you were heading up to the Hwy - What u do is from the Arches head south just before town on left side is road 128 - River runs all the way up and huge rock cliffs on the other side. Road is very curvy and twisty.

Once up to the 70 head to Grand Junction as you show on your map that you are passing it. Take the time to hit the National Monument in Grand Junction - (not far off the Hwy) It is a 25 mile ride up the mountains and cliffs with spectacular views. When you finish ride it is only about 5 mins back to the Hwy 70. It is a must see.

You are heading out across Canada - If you like Flat and boring rides for hours on end then just leave it like it is.
I rechecked your route and U are passing Yellow Stone Park - and not to far is Boise National Park - Why would you
not stop and smell the roses while you are in the area - I see 90% of your route is major Hwy - You will be missing
a lot if you don't get off the Hwy.

- You have to go into the Arches National Park - (you will kick yourself if you don't)

Yup ...Arches, Zion and Bryce are all lovely and do not take long to cover off...they are stunning.

some shots here .. https://picasaweb.google.com/113408...eZionAndArches2013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

not organized :(

Arches you can drive through in an hour or so even with taking some photos

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-10-17%2520at%2520Oct%252C%252017%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%252011.39.30%2520PM.jpg

Bryce is incredible as you climb up and up near to 10,000'

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-11-05%2520at%2520Nov%252C%25205%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25206.33.49%2520AM.jpg

It was chilly at sunset in Nov.

Zion is just a fantastic drive through with a great cafe at the end of the route..some of the hairpins are wild. Of course weekends tend to be crowded at these parks.

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-11-05%2520at%2520Nov%252C%25205%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25206.22.11%2520AM.jpg

I have almost nothing of Zion up but they are all fairly near.
As mentioned take some time off the slab to see the sights.

Is it possible to buy a national park season pass at a national park, buying a ticket at the door so to speak, or is there paperwork that needs to be filled in and sent out? I read somewhere that the pass costs $50.

Back
Top Bottom