Intercoms/Bluetooth...What to buy?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Intercoms/Bluetooth...What to buy??

You can buy Sena, OR this for $36, have all the things you want, my friend and I bought it and we are using as intercom and bluetooth, it will stream AD2P (music).

Works with iPhone Siri as well.... it's amazing... look at how many have bought it.. can't stress the fact that bluebooth devices are dead cheap in china, and Sena is charging over 150 bucks for a simple system.

Been using for quite a while now, few times in rain, solid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-M...Intercoms_Access_Controls&hash=item4843423492

That one is not an intercom tho..

That is effectively a Scala Q2 - nice find. That model did okay tho the range was not great.
No reason it can't pair with another unit.

Sena. They have just announced cross platform compatibility with other vendors and have all the features you could want.

^This. IMO, anyone would be stupid not to go with the Sena given their announcement as who wants to buy a model that only works with itself vs one that works with every device out there?

Also FWIW, I've had my Sena SMH10 for 1.5 years now and couldn't be happier with the unit. Loud, easy to control, near nuclear battery life, can easily jack in a MP3 player through the aux in port, etc, etc. I also love the fact that Sena keeps adding new features to their existing products vs making you buy a new model to essentially get a software update -- something that doesn't seem to happen much anymore these days.

We have 3 Senas connected together and weren't impressed with the sound quality. With 2 connected, it was fine but add a third and it went funky: short-range, funny noises, etc.
Since installing the new firmware (after doing a full reset before and after and clearing all current pairings), totally different.
Range has improved, having 2 or 3 connected doesn't affect sound quality.

Yep. Each unit can pair to a different smartphone. Sena just released firmware that allows you to share your music with other units. Not installing that one...

I have purchased the Dynamic Innovations Evolution Bluetooth intercom unit about 5 months ago and I am extremely happy with it.

I have read a bunch of reviews of it, and most of the reviews were good. Make sure you get the new version. The older version had some issues with the speaker/mic plug. I think they replaced all of them now. I know they still have them at Daytona Motor Sport and at Motorcycle TNA for $169.95 for the pair.

And yea, for GPS make sure your GPS Unit (or any device you wanna use) is Bluetooth Compatible.

Check here for some reviews.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...uetooth-Intercom-Unit-and-Daytona-Motor-Sport

I have purchased the Dynamic Innovations Evolution Bluetooth intercom unit about 5 months ago and I am extremely happy with it.

I have read a bunch of reviews of it, and most of the reviews were good. Make sure you get the new version. The older version had some issues with the speaker/mic plug. I think they replaced all of them now. I know they still have them at Daytona Motor Sport and at Motorcycle TNA for $169.95 for the pair.

And yea, for GPS make sure your GPS Unit (or any device you wanna use) is Bluetooth Compatible.

Check here for some reviews.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...uetooth-Intercom-Unit-and-Daytona-Motor-Sport

+1 for the evolution. for the price you cant find anything better. me and my friends have used these units almost 5 months now and the sounds quality, battery range was awesome.

I've used the Scala G4 and U-Clear HBC200, haven't been happy with either, will try my luck with a Sena next season. I don't use mine to pair with another unit, only for music and phone calls

The G4, I find the speakers to be too quiet when riding at highway speeds with earplugs in, even at city speeds they're too small to give you good sound quality if you're streaming music. Battery only lasts 8 hours when streaming music which isn't enough if you're touring, won't let you charge and use it simultaneously either. On the plus side, the mic is fantastic at blocking out wind noise and focusing on your voice, it does pick up my loud exhaust though. I have the "snowmobile" version which has a wired mic instead of a boom mic, don't know why that's not standard for the bike version. The boom mic is ridiculous with a full face.

The HBC200's mics are built into the speakers which causes the noise to be really muffled and hollow, people absolutely hate it and a lot of the time can't hear me when I try to talk to them on this thing. Same problem with the speakers as above. They are better then the Scala, but still not good enough. Battery life is the same as the Scala, which isn't enough, also can't charge it and use it at the same time.

If anyone wants a deal, I'm selling them (I have a pair of the G4's and one HBC200)

Edit: looks like there's a firmware update for the HBC200 to address the mic issue in a full face, will give it a try in the spring if I don't sell it before.

Last edited:
I really don't think any in helmet speaker can get even close to decent earphones for music quality.
I can still hear the Scala for phone and comm even with the UltimateEars in.

Nav prompts kills the music through the headphones and then it comes back.
Best combo so far for me.

This is really the way it should be done with proper earphones for the sound.

NC_22B__95781.1371605770.1280.1280.jpg

Thanks for that neck mike link

http://store.neckmike.us/neckmike-m3-bluetooth/

This is exactly the kind of flexibility I've been looking for instead of being locked into tinny external speakers that can never work well.

This can even use a wired connection to my iPhone which I prefer instead of wasting battery on BT connection for music and nav and phone.

Last edited:
I really don't think any in helmet speaker can get even close to decent earphones for music quality.
I can still hear the Scala for phone and comm even with the UltimateEars in.

Nav prompts kills the music through the headphones and then it comes back.
Best combo so far for me.

This is really the way it should be done with proper earphones for the sound.

[photo]

Thanks for that neck mike link

http://store.neckmike.us/neckmike-m3-bluetooth/

This is exactly the kind of flexibility I've been looking for instead of being locked into tinny external speakers that can never work well.

This can even use a wired connection to my iPhone which I prefer instead of wasting battery on BT connection for music and nav and phone.

For the Special Ops Rider in all of us...

have the scala, i find the speakers acceptable at highway speed, it's not loud but it does the job, i can hear conversation on the phone, music is a bit low but i dont mind. As long as phone conversation is good, and yes the mic is very very good, people don't know I am riding a bike. 8 hours serve me really well, even when you are touring, you are not gonna sit on the bike all 8 hours, you will eat, rest, etc. This is when you can charge it up but for most people 8 hours is plenty long!! That is 8 hours of constant streaming music or conversation, not standby. It's good they dont let you charge while using it, so that water does not get in through the charging port.

Yep. Each unit can pair to a different smartphone. Sena just released firmware that allows you to share your music with other units. Not installing that one...

Anybody tried the music sharing ?

Another vote for Sena. I hate scala, my last scala crapped out on me in rain and made me loose an important call.

I have the scala q4. Very happy with it, its been through rain storms etc and I ride with a half lid. Haven't had issues with wind noise either.

I'm very happy with the Sena SMH10. It does everything it should and the controls are very easy to operate, including voice controls. Its also quite durable. I did a low speed crash which scraped the jog dial, but did absolutely no damage to the operation of the unit. Warrantee service is quite good. A connector pin popped out just before the 2 year warrantee was about to expire. Even though that pin wasn't actually connecting anything, they replaced the entire unit.

I also think its great that they frequently send you firmware updates. I haven't tried the music sharing yet, but I have installed the latest update and I noticed that you have to shut off the music before making a call now. Before, it would shut off automatically. This time after doing the voice dial, the music came back on when the call started. Not sure how this will word receiving a call. It will also be interesting to test it with the GPS. Before I just shut off the voice transmit from my GPS because I hated it always interrupting my music. I might turn it on again if it will just talk over it.

Another vote for Sena. I've got the SMH-5 and love it. Dead simple to use and easy to manipulate controls with gloves on. If I were to buy again I'd go for the 20S model.

We picked up a set of uClear HBC200's from GP Bikes, $300 for the set. Haven't had much chance to do too much more than just walk around the house with helmets on :rolleyes: & tested their range by walking/talking down the street but so far so good. I was drawn to them because there is no microphone boom in front of your face, the mics are built-in to the speaker assemblies.
So far so good.. they paired to our iPhone/Android phones no problem, I tested their noise cancellation by talking while standing next to the air compressor lol.. my girlfriend says she could still hear me fine, and could barely hear the compressor at all!

Yeah, I have the unclear unit as well. Worked great all last season, as an intercom, for music, GPS (via iPhone) & cell calls. I like how unobtrusive it is in the helmet & you just say "hello" to answer incoming calls. Pricey but works well.

Elton can I listen to podcasts from an ipod with this set up? Does it run on disposable batteries or can it be recharged, say in the hotel over night?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom