Intercoms/Bluetooth...What to buy?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Intercoms/Bluetooth...What to buy??

m.benn84

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase a system for the wife and I but with so much out there its hard to know which way to go?? Would like to be able to listen to music/radio and of course chat. We both wear Shoei RF 1100's , any recommendations would be great!

cheers,

Sena. They have just announced cross platform compatibility with other vendors and have all the features you could want.

Sena

SENA, I got the slim version SMH10R which works great for my preferences. You can listen to music, share it with other SENA's, listen to GPS instructions, etc., chat with other 4 SENA users (and apparently other platforms), receive/make phone calls*, and the design is real small and unobtrusive.

My RF 1100
T9sWGdH.jpg

The battery is separate from the main unit to make it as slim as possible, it goes at the back of the helmet and it's reflective at night.

SMH10R

*Smart phone sold separately :)

Last edited:
I'm a Sena user and highly recommend it.

I bought a pair of the Dynamic Innovations - Evolution V1 headsets (see http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...etooth-Communication-Units-99-Each-IN-STOCK!!) when they were on sale for $150/pair. They work okay, but not worth regular retail price IMHO. The USB connector for the speakers and mic is a bit flaky. I had to replace one entire unit already, and the replacement is starting to be hit and miss again at the connector. The battery will not last through a day ride, especially if the temperature is a bit on the cool side. On the plus side, it was easy to install, the speakers and mic are clear when it works, and the price was cheap when I bought them.

I would not buy them again, which probably sums it up for you.

I think the brand isn't as important as your needs. Are you going to use it everyday? Do you need full duplex with multiple users or is it just for yourself or one to one use? How many devices do you need to connect to?

I think most people tend to believe they'll connect with many devices and many people but, after a few weeks of use, find out they only use the unit to connect to their phone and listen to music. For 90% of users, probably just a simple inexpensive device will do.

I chose the Sena SMH-5 over all the others because it provides ease of use, connectivity to my phone (and its gps), and "one to one" connection with a passenger or other rider when needed. Most of my friends also have the Sena (SMH-5 or 10's) and they work great. It's a bit of a drag when riding with more than one other connected rider because it isn't a "party" line but, honestly, I'd rather listen to music and communicate as needed.

I looked at the Scala and found it complicated, the buttons are small, and it had features I'll never use. The uClear unit looked interesting but it's cost and lack of other users are a major drawback for me. The new announced Sena device supposedly allows it to communicate with other brands; if you need to have something packed with features, that unit would be the thing to go to.

Just beware many of the units say you can listen to your GPS, (which is one of the reasons I bought the Evolution unit). But, I and then the retailer discovered that not ALL GPS units have the ability to bluetooth out to a head set. I can get my phone to connect to it no problem and can use the GPS as a bluetooth for the GPS but not the head set.

Just beware many of the units say you can listen to your GPS, (which is one of the reasons I bought the Evolution unit). But, I and then the retailer discovered that not ALL GPS units have the ability to bluetooth out to a head set. I can get my phone to connect to it no problem and can use the GPS as a bluetooth for the GPS but not the head set.
This is true, but it's a deficiency of the GPS, not the headset. Unless you buy a motorcycle-specific GPS, most manufacturers (i.e. Garmin / TomTom) have essentially disable the ability to "send" via bluetooth. They will receive bluetooth signal (i.e. receive your phones phonebook, phone voice signal, etc.), but will not send voice commands to a bluetooth headset. I'm sure it's intentional to promote sales of their much more expensive motorcycle GPS units.

Another cool option is if you prefer headphones vs headset, the SMH-10 has that option. You just plug in your own headphones/earbuds to use with the unit.

This is true, but it's a deficiency of the GPS, not the headset. Unless you buy a motorcycle-specific GPS, most manufacturers (i.e. Garmin / TomTom) have essentially disable the ability to "send" via bluetooth. They will receive bluetooth signal (i.e. receive your phones phonebook, phone voice signal, etc.), but will not send voice commands to a bluetooth headset. I'm sure it's intentional to promote sales of their much more expensive motorcycle GPS units.

Absolutely intentional. that feature adds 200+ dollars to the price of a unit.

On the music side i assume you can interface with one or two smartphones? Sometimes we have different tastes in music.:p

What should I budget with Santa for something like the SENA system?

Where to buy??

On the music side i assume you can interface with one or two smartphones? Sometimes we have different tastes in music.:p

What should I budget with Santa for something like the SENA system?

Where to buy??

Most known places carry them i.e. GP Bikes, etc.
They can be ordered online as well.
I got my last set from bikerleathers.ca (Crazy Al's in London) and they were 40% off or something with a coupon at the time.

Their price is roughly $375 for a pair, give or take depending on store, sale etc.

100% true which is why I stated that my GPS won't "bluetooth out to the headset" In other words it is not the headset issue but the GPS just wanted him to be aware so he didn't buy a headset unit thinking as did i and many other people that the gps WILL work as stated it is primarily motorcycle GPS units and now I am seeing some more expensive GPS, ($399 units) at Cdn tire that have the technology embedded.

I have used the Scala Q2, G4 and G9s. They all work very well and I have no real complaints. The main difference between the G4 and the G9 is that you can pair up to 9 people together on the 9's. The G4 only allows 4 people.

Group chat works very well with these devices as well.

I've had q2 and G4 with mixed success....they tend to lose a channel for no good reason and tech support not all that supportive nor can you get spare parts at reasonable prices.

Next round will be Sena now they can communicate with the Scala

You can buy Sena, OR this for $36, have all the things you want, my friend and I bought it and we are using as intercom and bluetooth, it will stream AD2P (music).

Works with iPhone Siri as well.... it's amazing... look at how many have bought it.. can't stress the fact that bluebooth devices are dead cheap in china, and Sena is charging over 150 bucks for a simple system.

Been using for quite a while now, few times in rain, solid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-M...Intercoms_Access_Controls&hash=item4843423492

Back
Top Bottom