Sea freight from China to Toronto: any recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sea freight from China to Toronto: any recommendations?

I'm buying two industrial machines from China, and the manufacturer is going to ship them by sea freight to Toronto. The packages are fairly large and heavy (too heavy for one person to handle, btw).

Anyway, the manufacturer in China is recommending that I pick the packages up myself when they arrive at the port in TO (as opposed to having them sent directly to my residence, which they say is very expensive). I'm wondering if this is the best way of receiving these packages. I know, it's probably a silly question, but I'm assuming it's not as easy as just showing up at the Port with a van and loading the machines in (or is it?).

Has anyone else done this? I'm assuming there are other fees involved (other than duty and taxes). And, are packages shipped directly to the Toronto port downtown? If I pick up the packages, I'll have to rent a van, so there's some added expense.

Or, maybe it might be better for me to arrange shipping myself and get another company to ship it directly to me from China.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi Princess's Man!

I bring over shipments every month from over seas. This is for my company and not personal use. Who is paying the shipping? Also when your shipment arrives, you need to have all your paperwork in order to have the shipment released. If you wait to pickup your shipment you'll be charged a storage fee per day. This includes the weekends which I've learned the hard way about....

If your supplier is paying to have the shipment come into Canada, make sure it's paid to have the shipment arrive into Toronto and not just out West. Also find out what broker he used in case you have any questions or want to track the shipment. The broker can advise to you if there will be any charges that must be paid in order for your shipment to be released. How far away do you live from Toronto? Reason why I'm asking is that not all depots are in Toronto. Some are in Mississauga or Windsor, etc. This would be something to find out as well.

I can't say that I've gone down to pickup a shipment as mine are rather to large for just a van or truck. But there shouldn't be an issue to pickup your order. Bring all your paperwork and a buddy to lift your machines and go about your way.

TLDR : You can do it just bring a buddy and the paperwork. And bring some cash in the event that there are some charges that need to be paid. But someone will tell you of that.

Tip : Call around to get lots of quotes if you need freight moved as people will be cut throat at times to just fill a truck and keep it moving full. Same with a ship.

Hope that helps! If you need some more help or a contact as to whom can give you more info send me a message and I'll do my best to answer you asap!

There is very little sea frieght (of industrial machines) coming into Port of Toronto, if its in a container it will land in Montreal or Van and ship from there. You cant get a container ship into Toronto. There are a lot of companies handling logistics for incoming and frt forwarding. Be prepared for this to be expensive if you dont do this alot. Use a broker unless you know your way around the paperwork and have the tariff codes for the product.

If this is an industrial machine with electrics be prepared for the CSA additional paperwork, inspections and more money.

Hi Princess's Man!

I bring over shipments every month from over seas. This is for my company and not personal use. Who is paying the shipping? Also when your shipment arrives, you need to have all your paperwork in order to have the shipment released. If you wait to pickup your shipment you'll be charged a storage fee per day. This includes the weekends which I've learned the hard way about....

If your supplier is paying to have the shipment come into Canada, make sure it's paid to have the shipment arrive into Toronto and not just out West. Also find out what broker he used in case you have any questions or want to track the shipment. The broker can advise to you if there will be any charges that must be paid in order for your shipment to be released. How far away do you live from Toronto? Reason why I'm asking is that not all depots are in Toronto. Some are in Mississauga or Windsor, etc. This would be something to find out as well.

I can't say that I've gone down to pickup a shipment as mine are rather to large for just a van or truck. But there shouldn't be an issue to pickup your order. Bring all your paperwork and a buddy to lift your machines and go about your way.

TLDR : You can do it just bring a buddy and the paperwork. And bring some cash in the event that there are some charges that need to be paid. But someone will tell you of that.

Tip : Call around to get lots of quotes if you need freight moved as people will be cut throat at times to just fill a truck and keep it moving full. Same with a ship.

Hope that helps! If you need some more help or a contact as to whom can give you more info send me a message and I'll do my best to answer you asap!

Hi Touchit,
I found your comment online regarding receiving and releasing shipment.
Would you be so kind to answer my question as well ?
Maybe you will be able to advise me.

Which documents do I have to request from my supplier in order to be able to release my freight from the port with no problems, and with no additional charges ?

Thank you for your time

Hi Touchit,
I found your comment online regarding receiving and releasing shipment.
Would you be so kind to answer my question as well ?
Maybe you will be able to advise me.

Which documents do I have to request from my supplier in order to be able to release my freight from the port with no problems, and with no additional charges ?

Thank you for your time

Typically you're going to need Commercial Invoice and Bill of Lading/Packing list.

Best advice has already been given here, call around to some freight forwarders and let them handle all the logistics. They will clear the items from customs and arrange delivery to a location of your choosing. One thing to note is insurance, likely your terms with the supplier means they are responsible only to the port. Can't put a price on piece of mind.

Last edited:
The original post (Banned btw) was over four years ago. Isn't the internet wonderful and thank you Pop Alexandra for your one post pushing your company.

I hope the shipment has cleared customs.

Did you look at how old this thread was before the bot post revived it? :eek:

I was half way through a reply before I noticed. OP is banned BTW. This happens occasionally everywhere as the date of the information doesn't always jump out.

Not knowing jack about writing programs I wonder about some software that would alert of the OP date. Deleting old stuff isn't good as some technical bits are always valuable.

Any way of creating a Vintage Whine warning?

Back
Top Bottom