kids dirtbikes? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

kids dirtbikes?

A pw80 is semi auto and also might be a good option.

Gotta learn sometime and the easier the terrain the quicker he'll learn. An mx bike in the woods is fairly low maintenance, air filter every ride and transmission oil every 3-4 rides (I've always used mx bikes in the woods and never had an issue). A crf might be a better choice being four stroke but they require the same attention. Only the small 50's are semi auto.

Ya see I have a lot to learn in this respect. I want the little guy to race and hopefully the 11 year old too, but can only afford one bike for them, so I have to understand what would be a good balance for them.
I went on the MMRS site that does dirt track racing and most of the kids have KTMS and the ones that are top three in those lower classes are all winners with KTMS.
I know it doesn't matter that much, but it wouldn't be a good idea if he wants to race in that and is using something strictly MX though, but then trail riding would suck for him/them right?

I was thinking this for my 7 year old, but heck who knows maybe best for my 11 year old. Not a bad deal either.
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...ikes-motocross-2006-KTM-SX-W0QQAdIdZ529712913

Yup...now you're getting it. How many cc's the bike displaces isn't indicative of the power it will have.

A PW50 or JR 50 is nothing like a KTM50.
A KX 65 will eat an XR 100 alive.....big difference.

Sorty of like a CBR600 compared to a Shadow 600VLX.......same engine capacity, a world apart performance wise.
If your little one wants to race, and you are worried, there is a dirt track class just for kids under 10 at PAris fairgrounds every single Fri, where the PW50 is the only bike eligible. There are a few kids int he class who come with a 2nd bike like a KTM50 and race in a faster class as well. LAst yr, from what saw, the PW50 class was being dominated by 3 little girls who were pretty damn good little racers.

As for MX racing, I am out of the loop around here, but rmemedic can probably fill you in there is that's more what your kids are into.

For trail riding, I'd stay away from a full on MX bike. Loud, intimidating, tall seat heights, more maintainance than milder tuned bikes etc. Riding really high strung bike in the woods might actualy slow their learning if they are fighting with the bike, or could even scare them out of the sport if it's too big a handful.

Last edited:
If they are going to learn and not be scared off, buy four stroke trail bikes. Pw(ttr50) for 7 year old, ttr, crf, drz 125 11 year old, crf150, klx140 etc for the twelve year old. A kx 100 is a 2t mx bike with a hair less power than a 125, just learning the clutch will induce tree smashing wheelies. Think first time track rider on an r1. Any four stroke trail bike will sell for the same money in a year or two if you buy used. The 150 gets handed down to the 11 year old if the 12 year old upgrades. All two stroke mx bikes will be a handful to learn on, especially if they are new to a clutch. They also make 80-90cc fourstrokes in a semi auto three speed tranny. (ttr 80,90 etc.)
The offroad Ontario race series is quite good, kids classes at some races, all woods racing not mx track.
Good luck with your search, hope the kids enjoy it.
As for racing, they need to learn to ride before they will ever be competitive, no matter what bike they ride. I can almost guarantee, the kids winning on ktm, are probably on their second or third bike and been riding a couple years.

Last edited:
Ya thats what I am thinking. Been looking at maybe a ttr50 for the little guy and maybe even a couple of ttr90's for the 11 and 12 year old. I think the crf 150 might be too much for the older boys, and my oldest is actually the least atheltic like when it comes to sports, so for sure too much for him, but ttr90 may be a good fit until he decides he likes it.
I went to that site for offroad ontario, but hard to decipher all the info I need. Will contact them.

I am looking forward to it for them, but you are right , they have to learn to ride and be comfortable first and enjoy it, and that may take a whole season, so I should be starting with what they will be most comfortable with.

If they are going to learn and not be scared off, buy four stroke trail bikes. Pw(ttr50) for 7 year old, ttr, crf, drz 125 11 year old, crf150, klx140 etc for the twelve year old. A kx 100 is a 2t mx bike with a hair less power than a 125, just learning the clutch will induce tree smashing wheelies. Think first time track rider on an r1. Any four stroke trail bike will sell for the same money in a year or two if you buy used. The 150 gets handed down to the 11 year old if the 12 year old upgrades. All two stroke mx bikes will be a handful to learn on, especially if they are new to a clutch. They also make 80-90cc fourstrokes in a semi auto three speed tranny. (ttr 80,90 etc.)
The offroad Ontario race series is quite good, kids classes at some races, all woods racing not mx track.
Good luck with your search, hope the kids enjoy it.
As for racing, they need to learn to ride before they will ever be competitive, no matter what bike they ride. I can almost guarantee, the kids winning on ktm, are probably on their second or third bike and been riding a couple years.

Instead of committing to dirt bikes for Christmas, maybe get them a day or two at Trail Tours or CMTS so you/they can figure out what they are comfortable on, with the idea that you'd get them actual bikes later in the season. I know Trail Tours has probably the whole range of Honda 4 stroke trail bikes there, and a nice open area where they'll get instruction.

Ya i should have done that this summer but i didnt( my mistake) but they love dirtbikes and know they will be fine, plus worst case I resell them and recoup most of my money. I do want them for there xmas present though

Instead of committing to dirt bikes for Christmas, maybe get them a day or two at Trail Tours or CMTS so you/they can figure out what they are comfortable on, with the idea that you'd get them actual bikes later in the season. I know Trail Tours has probably the whole range of Honda 4 stroke trail bikes there, and a nice open area where they'll get instruction.

Any good places to train kids at you can recommend in the Gta area? Is riding in an open park allowed?

From what I understand, if its a small 50cc you can take them to any open grass, nobody should bother you and worst case cops come and tell you to leave.

Any good places to train kids at you can recommend in the Gta area? Is riding in an open park allowed?

From what I understand, if its a small 50cc you can take them to any open grass, nobody should bother you and worst case cops come and tell you to leave.

That's not true.

Ok well its not the law... but I mean if its just the kid on a lil 50cc and you are teaching him i dont think anyone is gonna bother you.

That's not true.

Oh yes they will.
I promise.
.....and I have heard stories of children fighting $5000 "riding with no insurance" fines in court.

It aint like it was when we were kids.

MMRS is motocross, not dirt track.

Dont expect your kids to win ever. If there is no pressure they will have fun, and likely ride faster in the end.
By 7, he is already behind the ball. Those kids winning on the KTMs started early, 4 or 5 years old on the pw50 style bikes. Luckily, at that age they learn fast. I watched a kid start in 2012 on a pw50, 5 years old. By the end of the season he was good enough and was put on a cobra 50 (basically think KTM sx 50) and is now in the top of this class. However, he rides nearly every night on a track in his back yard and has a lot of support at the track. The family is currently down in Florida so he can race a series down there. That is how serious some people are about the sport.

Get some bikes, have some fun, and Put no pressure on yourselves with no expectations.
I started to progress in my classes, moving up the ranks. I put so much pressure on myself that I was spending thousands of dollars and not having fun and riding like crap because i just couldn't focus, I was too worried about catching the dude in front of me, getting points etc.
hurt my back really bad early in the summer and I had 2 months on the sidelines watching and thinking. I'm excited for next season because now I have no pressure. Except I do expect to be at the top of my class this year.

Great advice here! thanks! For now, I am gonna get them all 4 strokes for there respective size and one for myself as well, and just hit the trails and just learn and enjoy the sport from there. If they like it and have some skill and still want to race, then I will get a 2 stroke that they can race with.

MMRS is motocross, not dirt track.

Dont expect your kids to win ever. If there is no pressure they will have fun, and likely ride faster in the end.
By 7, he is already behind the ball. Those kids winning on the KTMs started early, 4 or 5 years old on the pw50 style bikes. Luckily, at that age they learn fast. I watched a kid start in 2012 on a pw50, 5 years old. By the end of the season he was good enough and was put on a cobra 50 (basically think KTM sx 50) and is now in the top of this class. However, he rides nearly every night on a track in his back yard and has a lot of support at the track. The family is currently down in Florida so he can race a series down there. That is how serious some people are about the sport.

Get some bikes, have some fun, and Put no pressure on yourselves with no expectations.
I started to progress in my classes, moving up the ranks. I put so much pressure on myself that I was spending thousands of dollars and not having fun and riding like crap because i just couldn't focus, I was too worried about catching the dude in front of me, getting points etc.
hurt my back really bad early in the summer and I had 2 months on the sidelines watching and thinking. I'm excited for next season because now I have no pressure. Except I do expect to be at the top of my class this year.

OP, if you end up getting bikes for the kids, take them here during the winter time:

http://www.chesterman.ca/wintermx.htm

I just started riding dirt this year and have been participating in the pit bike racing series. You will often have the track entirely to yourself during practice days and it's small enough not to be intimidating.

Oh this is super cool! couple hours from Ajax but would be worth it now and then... a lil pricey too. # bikes at $50 pop a visit but looks fun. How is the pit bike racing? I would be into that. What are the requirements and when is it?

OP, if you end up getting bikes for the kids, take them here during the winter time:

http://www.chesterman.ca/wintermx.htm

I just started riding dirt this year and have been participating in the pit bike racing series. You will often have the track entirely to yourself during practice days and it's small enough not to be intimidating.

Oh this is super cool! couple hours from Ajax but would be worth it now and then... a lil pricey too. # bikes at $50 pop a visit but looks fun. How is the pit bike racing? I would be into that. What are the requirements and when is it?

Race day costs 35 bucks which gets you a practice session and 3 heats of 10 laps each. It may not sound like much, but I was pretty beat by the end of it. If you get a yearly membership, the practice day price goes from $50 to 35 bucks for unlimited practice. If I were you, I'd start with that.

I originally bought my pit bike for just getting around the pits at the track but honestly, booting around on these little bikes is so much fun I look forward to riding it more than my street r1. There are seven classes to accomodate pretty much everyone regardless of your experience level (the first time I ever rode on dirt was on my first race day) or what kind of bike you are on (the guy that won the season opener in the modified class was on a pretty much stock KLX100).

I'm definitely interested in getting something small to ride there during the off season. When I was a kid, probably around 10-14 years old, my dad used to work for Chesterman's. I have vague memories of Dave, and I forget his brother's name, riding sled's across the dirt in the summer time to load them onto a trailer. I thought they were nuts. Too bad my dad moved on from that place many years ago, or else I'd be trying to get us all GTAM group buy's on the memberships.

So what exactly is considered a pit bike? like max 100cc?

Race day costs 35 bucks which gets you a practice session and 3 heats of 10 laps each. It may not sound like much, but I was pretty beat by the end of it. If you get a yearly membership, the practice day price goes from $50 to 35 bucks for unlimited practice. If I were you, I'd start with that.

I originally bought my pit bike for just getting around the pits at the track but honestly, booting around on these little bikes is so much fun I look forward to riding it more than my street r1. There are seven classes to accomodate pretty much everyone regardless of your experience level (the first time I ever rode on dirt was on my first race day) or what kind of bike you are on (the guy that won the season opener in the modified class was on a pretty much stock KLX100).

So what exactly is considered a pit bike? like max 100cc?

For the purposes of the pit bike racing series, I think the primary determinant is wheel size (i.e. max 12" rear wheel). The entry form provides some guidance on bikes commonly used in each class.

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...or_MX_2014_Pitbike_Race_Series_Entry_Form.pdf

For adult use, the most common bikes are KLX 110's or the better quality chinese bikes (Pitster Pro, SSR, Piranha). Ive been using a 140cc Pitster for trail riding and in the stock mid sized pit bike racing class.

On open practice days you can ride pretty much any two wheeled dirt bike you want (no quads unless you rent the entire track).

Last edited:
IMHO grab a CRF70, 100f, and 150f.

Each are very good bikes to learn on. The 70 has no clutch to worry about for the little guy. The 100 is damn near unstallable in first for your 11 year old to get the hang of clutching. And the 150 has enough torque to pull your 12 year old around great while still being easy to learn on. All three of those bikes have excellent resale value.

In a season or 2 as the kids get older/progress sell the smaller bike for near what you paid for it to finance the bike for the larger kid. By the time your 12 year old can outride the 150 he will be ready for a 250 or a 2 stroke 125. The other two should be ready to move up bikes around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom