kids dirtbikes? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

kids dirtbikes?

Just from my past experience buying used Japanese bikes - providing you maintain them properly you can pretty much expect to get very close to what you originally paid when you to to sell them.

Ahhh. And if they were new?

DRP will be all over you if your here in Ajax I started my kids off on little RM 50's sold them for more then I paid for them too

I know most of them and I have 2 on my street so im not too worried about that

DRP will be all over you if your here in Ajax I started my kids off on little RM 50's sold them for more then I paid for them too

Ok so I have decided that I am going to buy one of the "known" brand dirt bikes for my kids. So like I said I have a 7 year old, 11 year old and 12 year old. Very little time on dirtbikes but have suggested that They would like to do some recreational riding and possibly racing next season.

Soooo, for the young one I am looking towards a KTM sx50. Good bike, good idea? For the 11 year old I was looking at a KTM sx 65? These would be used of course. As for the 12 year old I am undecided as he does not want to race, but just trail ride. He is very big but proly the most timid of the bunch. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Ok so I have decided that I am going to buy one of the "known" brand dirt bikes for my kids. So like I said I have a 7 year old, 11 year old and 12 year old. Very little time on dirtbikes but have suggested that They would like to do some recreational riding and possibly racing next season.

Soooo, for the young one I am looking towards a KTM sx50. Good bike, good idea? For the 11 year old I was looking at a KTM sx 65? These would be used of course. As for the 12 year old I am undecided as he does not want to race, but just trail ride. He is very big but proly the most timid of the bunch. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Those smaller ktm's need serious maintenance, they're not the type of bike that runs forever and you just throw gas in. I would do some serious research and see if that's the type of bike your looking to get in to. For the bigger kid I think the Honda CRF150 rb should fight him and not be too much to handle. A 125 two stroke could work too but depending on the terrain (lots of traction) it could scare him and slow his progression.

Those KTM sx 50s are a race bike. They can really move. And as mentioned they are higher on maintenance.

For your 11 and 12 year olds, an 80cc 2 stroke will be fine and more than fast enough with a lower seat height to build confidence. A 125 is too much for a beginner. I get kids on 80s giving me a run every once in a while.

Those KTM sx 50s are a race bike. They can really move. And as mentioned they are higher on maintenance.

For your 11 and 12 year olds, an 80cc 2 stroke will be fine and more than fast enough with a lower seat height to build confidence. A 125 is too much for a beginner. I get kids on 80s giving me a run every once in a while.

If he's as big as I was at 12 (6' tall) he's going to have a hell of a time on an 80.

so shy away from the ktm's even though they wanna race next year? How about a cr50 or ttr 50 for the lil guy? Also, for thr 11 year old I think a 65 would be good enough, possibly a 70 like a crf 70? The 125 would be too much for my 12 year old though i think as he is the most timid of the bunch, i think an 80 would be enough.

so shy away from the ktm's even though they wanna race next year? How about a cr50 or ttr 50 for the lil guy? Also, for thr 11 year old I think a 65 would be good enough, possibly a 70 like a crf 70? The 125 would be too much for my 12 year old though i think as he is the most timid of the bunch, i think an 80 would be enough.

An 80 for a big kid as a first bike isn't a great idea, I rode one at 13 (my buddies) and it was the hairiest bike I've ever ridden, it's either full power or bogging with a light switch powerband. Go with a bigger fourstroke like an xr/crf or if he fits on a kx100 they're bigger and are much more tame.

To be clear, Derek is talking about a 2 stroke 80cc MX bike...not a CRF80 or an XR 80...those are trailbikes and have less than half the power of an 80cc MX bike.

Same goes for a 65- if it's a 2 stroke MX bike, it will dump any unsuspecting adult on his/her head in a hurry- they are downright fast.

The KTM 50 is in the same vein, but auto trans. It isn't like a PW50....it's more than twice as powerful with a more sophisticated suspension as well. If they wanna race, this is what they need though. But if they are really green, get ready for some skinned knees and learning curves.

$hiiiit.... well now im confizzled. Ok so for like road racing such as mmrs does it matter what kind of 50cc they ride with? Could he ride in that with a pw50 or would he be getting beat up by the mx50 bikes like the ktm? He is a tough lil bugger so some scraped knees isnt a problem. My 11 year old is great on a regular bike but not as tough as my 7 year old( i know crazy) so for him and he wants to race to, what would be the best option? He isnt a big 11 year old either.
I will look into a kx100 or 125 type option for my 12 year old cuz he just wants to boot around at his own pace.

Help with this would be great!! They are xmas presents so wanna make sure I am getting the right thing.

lol no not that big... he is just over 5 feet.

If he's as big as I was at 12 (6' tall) he's going to have a hell of a time on an 80.

lol no not that big... he is just over 5 feet.

Kx100 will work, it's not as much bike as it sounds like. My wife learned to ride on one and it was a hoot for me even at 6' 160lbs. You'll be able to sell it for what you buy it for too if you can find a used one.

As for the small ones I'd look for a crf50, little more capable than an xr50 and won't need the high maintenance of the ktm. At their age it will be more skill development then the machine that will make them competitive.

Last edited:
I guess it fully geared though? no semi auto right? he hasnt even done the clutch deal yet, but even so shouldnt be too much to learn.

Kx100 will work, it's not as much bike as it sounds like. My wife learned to ride on one and it was a hoot for me even at 6' 160lbs. You'll be able to sell it for what you buy it for too if you can find a used one.

Yup...now you're getting it. How many cc's the bike displaces isn't indicative of the power it will have.

A PW50 or JR 50 is nothing like a KTM50.
A KX 65 will eat an XR 100 alive.....big difference.

Sorty of like a CBR600 compared to a Shadow 600VLX.......same engine capacity, a world apart performance wise.
If your little one wants to race, and you are worried, there is a dirt track class just for kids under 10 at PAris fairgrounds every single Fri, where the PW50 is the only bike eligible. There are a few kids int he class who come with a 2nd bike like a KTM50 and race in a faster class as well. LAst yr, from what saw, the PW50 class was being dominated by 3 little girls who were pretty damn good little racers.

As for MX racing, I am out of the loop around here, but rmemedic can probably fill you in there is that's more what your kids are into.

For trail riding, I'd stay away from a full on MX bike. Loud, intimidating, tall seat heights, more maintainance than milder tuned bikes etc. Riding really high strung bike in the woods might actualy slow their learning if they are fighting with the bike, or could even scare them out of the sport if it's too big a handful.

I guess it fully geared though? no semi auto right? he hasnt even done the clutch deal yet, but even so shouldnt be too much to learn.

Gotta learn sometime and the easier the terrain the quicker he'll learn. An mx bike in the woods is fairly low maintenance, air filter every ride and transmission oil every 3-4 rides (I've always used mx bikes in the woods and never had an issue). A crf might be a better choice being four stroke but they require the same attention. Only the small 50's are semi auto.

Back
Top Bottom