kids dirtbikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

kids dirtbikes?

ajaxguy

I have searched a few posts and have read what people think is best in terms of dirtbikes for there little ones. I have 3 boys aged 12,11 and 7. All of them able to ride a bicycle and have great command. Now they all want dirtbikes for xmas! They have ridden one dirtbike in there life and we have owned a cheap electric one years ago that the older ones rode.

I dont have a huge budget and with having to buy 3 its tough. I dont know how much I would get them on the trails so I was thinking electric again as this way they can boot around the neighbourhood with each other and maybe some grassy areas we have behind the house. I know OSET has some amazing ones but then im looking at $1200 min a pop!

Do you think if I got them the razor dirtbikes that would be a good idea or are those a waste of money? I was thinking the mx500http://www.razor.com/products/electric-ride-ons/mx500/ for the lil guy and the mx650http://www.razor.com/products/electric-ride-ons/mx650/ for the two older boys?

Any suggestions otherwise?

Resale is important here with how quickly they will outgrow them. If you buy some cheap stuff, you will eventually have to give it away.

Resale is important here with how quickly they will outgrow them. If you buy some cheap stuff, you will eventually have to give it away.

Agree. Spend the money on some cheap used gas and resale them after. Shameless plug as I have 2 for sale that my kids have outgrown.

The problem with the gas is that they are loud and 2 going at a time may get the neighbours ****** off... like i said they will be doing more riding around the street then anything else.

Agree. Spend the money on some cheap used gas and resale them after. Shameless plug as I have 2 for sale that my kids have outgrown.

Buy real OSETs or Japanese gas powered. Nothing else will hold it's value at all....and Chinese junk won't even last thru one kid's use, where Japanese ones will last for generations of new riders to learn on.

Kids are in danger on bicycles on the street- now you wanna let them ride dirtbikes on the street? Bad idea.
My son always realized from the forst time he got on his "motorcycle", he was to dress accordingly, and never goes without a helmet-not even in the backyard. I think if you let kids loose on the streets with a dirtbike, they will be more inclined to dress like they are bicycling. Make dirt bike riding a specific sport, where you take the kids to a designated spot to do it and learn and have fun, and then it will segregated and treated differently then the stuff they currently participate in.

Hockey is played on a rink-tobogganing happens at the hill-dirtbiking should happen at a safe and appropiate location.

We had an OSET- awesome learning tool. Now the boy is on a PW50, soon to a KTM 50 MX

Last edited:
Oset is not in the budget... especially when its x3!

Buy real OSETs or Japanese gas powered. Nothing else will hold it's value at all....and Chinese junk won't even last thru one kid's use, where Japanese ones will last for generations of new riders to learn on.

We had an OSET- awesome learning tool. Now the boy is on a PW50, soon to a KTM 50 MX

You aren't gonna get Japanese bikes for any less than OSETs either, unless you find used ones.....even then, a 50 might fit the little one, but both older ones are gonna need 70-125 cc bikes....and those will be over a grand even used.

Agree with the others.

A small four stroke jap bike doesn't have to be loud at all. A DB killer or similar would likely work

I bought a PW50 a few years ago just to play with for $500. Its a smoker though. But deals can be found, esp this time of year

What is this DB killer you speak of?

Agree with the others.

A small four stroke jap bike doesn't have to be loud at all. A DB killer or similar would likely work

I bought a PW50 a few years ago just to play with for $500. Its a smoker though. But deals can be found, esp this time of year

If you buy used, make sure they aren't stolen. Check CPIC's VIN checker at the very least, but its best to have the ownership. Yes they can and should have ownerships.

$1200 x 3 =$3600.00 that your kids well hate and be bored after a couple runs.....if gas is Not a option save your money and buy them something else....my 2 cents

Personally, I would be buying 2 bikes, the amount of time all 3 are out at the same time likely won't be high. Buy one smaller and one bigger, with the number of adults I have seen on tiny hondas, your older kids shouldn't have a problem using the smaller bike.

I also suggest buying quality, it's cheaper in the end. You could buy 3 hondas for $4000 and sell them after a few troublefree years for $3000, or three chinese bikes for $1500, they spend a few years broken in the garage and then you throw them out.

The problem with the gas is that they are loud and 2 going at a time may get the neighbours ****** off... like i said they will be doing more riding around the street then anything else.

You hate your neighbours that much?

First thing you should be considering is a proper place to ride. Street is not it... It's not even LEGAL, nevermind it not being safe for your kids. And they won't learn any skills that way either.
Your next cost to consider is safety gear. GOOD helmets, goggles, BOOTS, gloves at a minimum... You're looking at another $1500 at minimum to outfit 3 kids half decently.

Get 2 quality bikes. A bigger one for the older kids like a KLX 140, and a PW50 for the little guy, take them to some legit trails, open track days and they will have a blast. By the time the bigger kids outgrow the bigger bike, they should be ready and able to buy their own full size bike, sell the bigger bike and the smaller bike to get the next size up for the little guy (and by this time they will need new gear).
I was 14 when I started paying up for my own hobbies. That included flying lessons, dirt bikes and snowmobiling all with just a paper route and a job at McDick's. And considering I had to hide my 2 wheel toys, I obviously didn't have any parental help on the money side... If they want it bad enough, they will find a way.

As for noise, we had this Yamaha 110 at one point that was extremely quiet, and sock honda or yamaha 50s are way quieter than your neighbours weed eater.

Every yr we need to get our boy new gear- kids grow.

We wait for sales at the bike show or Royal's tent sale etc.
Pants, boots gloves, jersey, chest protector, helmet- $250-$300.
Don't write off used gear either....all of our kids are outgrowing their old stuff long before it's worn out. My son's last boost looks like brand new, literally could be put back in the box and put back on the shelf.

If a person wants to see if the kids like it and doesn't want to spend a lot, don't knock the Chinese bikes.

Its how we started. $800 and both kids were on bikes. The bikes lasted them and at least another 6 kids abused the hell out of the things over the years. Are they Jap quality? No way.

Are the kids on quality bikes now? You bet. But for people who want to experiment and see, nothing wrong with a cheap bike to try on the first go round.

I have lost more money in depreciation on 1 Jap dirt bike then I spent for 2 new Chinese bikes so that we could see if it was a sport for them.

Not to mention most Chinese bikes can't be registered and insured. Therefore you can only ride them on your own property or risk a bunch of fines.

Unfortunately you are looking at over $1500/kid to outfit them properly for dirtbiking. My 3 kids got their bikes and gear on their birthdays to spread it out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom