2011 ZX10 Superbike build | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2011 ZX10 Superbike build

Looking sweet - I can't wait to see it in action

Not too much to update. I've placed an order for all my final parts to complete the build and have the bodywork finally all mounted and sanded. I'm hoping to have the bike rideable by the end of the week and Dyno tuned next week.

Here's a pic of one of the final important items on order.

One colour down, I think I'm going to use vinyl for the little bit of black I want on there. It turned out pretty good for painting it outside in 30km/h winds with new guns we've never tried before.

Who's is going to dyno your bike?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Account for some extra time, like a couple of weeks more then planned. He had 30 biked to dyno when I picked mine out

Account for some extra time, like a couple of weeks more then planned. He had 30 biked to dyno when I picked mine out

Oye, well thanks for the heads up. I think the base map on the race ecu is half decent, having only added a slipon as far as performance mods I should be able to race the bike without an issue.

New linkage is installed, it makes the rear shock work in a more linear manner as opposed to progressive like the oem. The oem is good for street/2up riding but not what you want on a race bike. I'm just waiting on my forks so I can pick them and my shock up in one trip, then I can have the bike assembled ready to ride. I have a pile of other parts I'm waiting on but I can't wait any longer and need to get some seat time. First ride should be this weekend so I'll have some photos of the bike all in one piece I hope.

The old linkage is the silver one.

A little added protection. I'm not sure if they'd be as durable as say a woodcraft replacent cover but they're substantially cheaper and are used by many top teams/riders.

I'm also pretty excited to play with these and see how well I can get the bike working. They're shouldn't be anything holding the bike back from being anything short of amazing. I won't be able to blame anything on the bike, it's all up to me.

I was also having issues with my QS not working on Sunday. I'm not sure if I had the wires switched or it was the ecu not taking the changes (still very new to me) but I've got it working now so it should be good. The sensor is made by Cordona (http://cordona.net/index.htm) which I picked up from Pro 6 Cycle and can be setup to work as a push, pull, or both. It's also serviceable!

GP9 sensor

Also a known weak point in the Kawasaki is their CCT. It's actually a good idea for any bike that's going to be used on the track that it's swapped to a manual style.

Last edited:
Well the bike survived it's first race weekend which was the CSBK national race at Shannonville Motorsports Park. It took me most of the weekend to get up to pace but by Sunday morning I was close to my times on my 08 GSXR 1000 which I had a lot more seat time on. The bike ran almost flawlessly all weekend.

The Ktech suspension is absolutely amazing. The 35DDS pro rear shock is nothing short of stunning! With making nothing but minor adjustments my tire wear is perfect and the bike remains composed even on the roughest of sections. I didn't track the bike with the oem shock or linkage so I couldn't say how much better it is compared to stock but comparing it to my GSXR it seems to be less harsh on the initial hit thanks to the bypass valve while remaining stiff enough to handle the big unsettling bumps. The 20dds forks also aside from a spring change have great feel and feedback allowing me to trail break quite deep without wondering what's happening underneath me. By adding the adjustable triple clamps I was able to remedy the bike from trying to run wide on acceleration exiting the corners.

I'd had an issue with the TC being too intrusive. Thankfully I'm using the kit ecu which allowed me to dial it back without completely disabling the system. I was able to carry a good power wheelie without having the TC dial too much power back killing my drive out of the slow corners.

The quick shifter had worked perfectly all weekend up until my warmup lap for the race on Sunday. It had stopped working completely but decided to work intermittently throughout the race, sometimes mid corner which was quite unnerving. I managed to score a 4th place after qualifying 10th. 3rd was within striking distance and if we'd had another lap I would have had a chance but with the shifter giving me fits I made a few mistakes on the last couple laps allowing him to stay ahead.

All in all I'm quite pleased with this bike and can't wait to get it properly mapped. It put down 170whp on the national Dyno and weighed in at 380lbs with the fuel light on. Once the subframe, battery, and rotors are swapped I'm sure that number will come down a few more points.

Also a big congrats to Caboose on his national win!

Last edited:
So I had another day of testing on a track configuration I've got more experience on (Shannonville long) and was able to get within 2 seconds of my fastest lap time. My new brake setup worked absolutly amazing! 0 brake fade after 8-9 laps and the feel was spectacular. The inital bite isn't too much for mid corner adjustments and when I needed them they were able to lift the rear with minimal effort. The last race weekend I was developing a bit of arm pump because I had to squeeze the brakes soo hard to get the performance I was looking for.

New Tockico monoblocks (09 Gsxr 1000), Braketech iron rotors and ferodo carbon cp1 pads.

New subframe and battery installed.

I had a couple missed shifts from the stupid QS loosing it's adjustment again and I started to hear some noises. I've gone through 3 motors in two years so I'm beyond paranoid that I've now damaged this one. All my valve clearances were within spec and the oil was perfectly clean so that's a good sign but the noise sounded like a bottom end issue. It was only noticeable while riding so the bike is going on the Dyno Tuesday to see if it's just me or I've actually hurt a bearing. I complained to the distributor and manufacturer of the sensor after the last time it malfunctioned and was told I didn't set it up right but there's obviously an issue. I doubt anyone will own up to it or give a damn if I've caused any damage to my brand new bike because of it. We'll see what happens...

Now that the seasons coming to a close I figured a little update was due.

I've had 6 rides now, 2 being track days and 4 race weekends. I've been battling with the forks and spring rates all season. I started at 10.0/10.0 then went 10.0/10.5, then 10.5/10.5, and ran out of springs. I had to order a set of 11.0 and for the last round I should be able to stop the front end from bottoming and actually be able to get some good feel while deep trail braking.

Being able to adjust the triples has really helped get the bike to work properly but....I've been going the wrong way! The bike runs wide on corner exit which really hurts especially at Mosport. I've got the bike setup to turn in almost effortlessly which helps but finishing the corner is just as important. With this setup it partially masked the issue at slower tracks but became very apparent at the Mosport national. By the time I learned the track and realized that it wasn't just my lines but the bike itself it was too late to make any adjustments. Trying to exit turn 2 at Mosport the bike would try and run me right off the track at the bottom of the hill. This made it really hard to exit there with any real speed. Turn 8 was also another problem area.

I think I'll finally have a decent package and be able to loose the last little bit of time I need to run up front. The mapping is still a bit rough especially the on/off abrupt throttle issue and the afr is rich up top so the bike is loosing out a bit. With a few fairly large changes coming over the winter I'll just finish the season with the current mapping and ride around the issue.

Heres es a few pics from Mosport

Ive also got race one from my GoPro however....it for some reason cut off the last 2 laps where I was passed in the last corner on the last lap putting me in 4th place. I tried several times to get it uploaded properly and gave up.

http://youtu.be/aE_3GnDVgCI

Back
Top Bottom