2011 ZX10 Superbike build | GTAMotorcycle.com

2011 ZX10 Superbike build

dricked

Site Supporter
Well after having a bad ending to my intro into racing (final 3 races at RACE) where I spun a rod bearing then taking an intake valve shortly after the repair on my 2008 GSXR 1000 sbk, I decided it was time to cut my losses. I picked up a shiny almost new ZX10 with 1700km on it to turn into my new love. I know this is not a cost effective way to get on the track but after having two motor failures, any bike I picked up would have a full rebuild before it hit the track (roughly 3-$4000). This way I start fresh and can mod to my desire and make the bike my own.

I started off riding the bike home (roughly 200km) and felt fairly comfortable with the ergo's right away. Once I got it home and found a couple safe backroads I wanted to see what all the hype was with this bike. Needless to say it was impressive but not what I was expecting. These bikes come heavily restricted from the factory so after a little research I found out by grounding a wire from the ecu it puts the bike into a neutral map where the secondaries don't close at higher rpm, so by day two the bike had already had its first "mod". One quick jaunt and the bike showed what it was really made of! It pulls extremely well past 10,000rpm and if I dare say wouldn't give up much to my GSXR that was built pushing 180whp on U4.4.

I started getting the build under way by removing all the nice shiny painted bits and unnecessary street parts (beside the kick stand).

I picked up a few parts that I knew I would change right away such as Vortex rearsets

Renthal clipons

Brembo 19x18

Fairing stay with a bigger ram air intake from the UK. You can also see the Lightech remote brake adjuster, ProTaper adjustable clutch perch and my homemade rad guard.

and a few bling parts.

Theres quite a few more on the way but progress will slow down once it's time for the really expensive stuff like suspension, bodywork and the exhaust. The kit wiring harness and ECU should be here next week as well as the stainless lines so I'll be able to get some real work done.

Last edited:
What are your plans for suspension?

The bike will be dropped off at Accelerated Technologies (John Sherrard) for a full K-tech front fork cartridge kit (not the gas set) and an Elka stage 4 rear shock. Attack makes a rear linkage to help prevent the rear from squatting under acceleration so that will also be added.

Autoblipper???

On a serious note, What are you doing for Fuel Management? Bazzaz ZFITC?

Last edited:
Autoblipper???

On a serious note, What are you doing for Fuel Management? Bazzaz ZFITC?

If it had fly by wire throttle I would (I hear it drops 13.75s off your lap times).

It'll be a kit ecu from Kawasaki. With this ecu I can change my TC settings (standard equipment, part of the reason I looked for this model/year) connect my quick shifter directly, change engine braking, pit lane speed limiter (useless to me really), use launch controll and change the tuning for the ignition and fuel. I'm not sure how many people tune this and if need be I'll get a Bazzaz or PCV but would rather not.

If it had fly by wire throttle I would (I hear it drops 13.75s off your lap times).

It'll be a kit ecu from Kawasaki. With this ecu I can change my TC settings (standard equipment, part of the reason I looked for this model/year) connect my quick shifter directly, change engine braking, pit lane speed limiter (useless to me really), use launch controll and change the tuning for the ignition and fuel. I'm not sure how many people tune this and if need be I'll get a Bazzaz or PCV but would rather not.
If you can save and change multiple maps on the fly, you good to go!
Nice!!

If you can save and change multiple maps on the fly, you good to go!
Nice!!

Well there's three different maps I can program and three different TC maps I can make so I'll have more than enough to play with.

That reminds me of another goodie coming, I'll post pics when it arrives.

**** Attack! Does anyone else make a similar linkage?

I will never buy a single thing from Attack again.

**** Attack! Does anyone else make a similar linkage?

I will never buy a single thing from Attack again.

Hmm I think there's one other place in the UK or I'm sure someone on the forum could direct me. Curious as to why you dislike them so much, I read your build and it seemed like a simple mixup and return.

Oh and nice bike! Better be painting it green!

Nope! Orange with green rims!

I actually already have paint that was going on the GSXR, I have to save money somewhere.

I don't want to threadjack too much but I'll do a Coles Notes.

They sent me the wrong inserts and the wrong clamp kit and after I asked twice if it was the right kit I wasted a lot of time trying to install the wrong kit. After pressing bearings on and off 4 times I had scuffed the stem before returning it. Gil wanted me to pay for it since he could no longer sell it as new. I felt that it was fair for me to pay for it if he agreed to me invoicing him for my time that he wasted. Never got a reply, Tony no longer deals with Attack.

I have two friends that have had similarly excruciating experiences with Attack. Simple orders for replacement parts that turn into Charlie Foxtrots. Have you ever been so mad after reading an email that you literally wanted to punch through your computer?

Hmmm, I wonder if they still have them.

It sucks when you have a bad experience with people within the industry.

Well the kit harness and ecu arrived much quicker than I expected! It took 15min to remove the old harness and roughly one hour to install the new one making sure each connection had dielectric grease applied.

Old harness

New kit harness

New kit ECU

While I was in there I installed a set of driven block off plates removing the PAIR valve.

Also started on drilling some bolts. I replaced the oem bolts for the calipers, these ones are easier to drill and make it so I only need my Allen keys to remove the calipers and loosen the axle pinch bolts (which needed spacers because they sit recessed in the bottom of the fork leg).

I had to return my Goodridge front lines because all of the banjos were turned 180 degrees the wrong way (apparently this is a known issue for this bike). I was able to install the rear line without issue.

I've also sourced a rear shock linkage that is NOT from attack, is slightly cheaper, and used by quite a few riders.

Last edited:
I had to return my Goodridge front lines because all of the banjos were turned 180 degrees the wrong way (apparently this is a known issue for this bike). I was able to install the rear line without issue.

Odd. The last lines I ordered (spiegler) you could rotate them as needed once you got them if they were facing the wrong way.

Back
Top Bottom