MotoGP 2014 | Page 50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2014

Awesome story about when Marc pulled into his pit box after finishing fourth, and what he did the very following day during the Brno testing: https://www.facebook.com/sportridermag/posts/10152639939253905

Sorry for the facebook link, I was too lazy to find it on google.

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-news/marquez-knows-how-to-win-how-does-he-lose?src=SOC&dom=fb

Marquez knows how to win, but how does he lose?

So how did Marc Marquez react when he came back to his pitbox at Brno after having his 10-race MotoGP win streak broken, and finishing off the podium for good measure?

HRC staff confessed that they were worried right after Marc Marquez had his unbeaten streak ended at Brno. Up to that point, the young Spaniard had won 10 out of 10 races held this season, and winning the 11th would have established a new record for consecutive victories...all at just 21 years old.

As you surely already know, Marquez didn’t manage to achieve the goal. Severe traction problems during the race cut off any chance to be competitive with his trio of rivals—Jorge Lorenzo, Dani Pedrosa and Valentino Rossi—who were just waiting for any sign of weakness to jump on him like a pack of wolves. In these circumstances Marquez’s defeat was huge. Not only was he beaten by all three rivals—instead of just one or two—but also for the first time since Mugello last year, Marquez finished a race off the podium.

In the Repsol Honda garage, everyone was conscious that the fourth place finish at Brno was a major defeat. They also understood that it happened because Marquez didn’t have the tools this time to take on his rival’s challenge.

Livio Suppo, HRC's Communications and Marketing Director, confessed to Sport Rider that he and the rest of the team, especially the technical staff, were expecting Marquez to display his frustration—and in a not-so-subtle way. After crossing the finish line, he made a gesture of rage, and so his team was waiting in the garage expecting the worst.

“In a situation like this, Casey (Stoner) would have entered in the garage very angry and he would have shown everyone his anger. To me, to Nakamoto, to the engineers…we would have to listen to a lot”, explained Suppo.

So when the HRC staff saw Marquez’s RCV rolling down the pit lane towards the garage they prepared themselves for a storm of anger. But it never came. When Marquez stopped in front of the box and got off the bike, the first thing he did was look at his rear tire, then he walked towards his seat in the pitbox...and on the way he gave a hug to a mechanic.

When he took off his helmet everyone was expecting to see an angry face, but instead Marquez appeared smiling. The first thing he said to his crew was, “No pasa nada”, which can be translated as “no worries.”

“Today this is the best that we could do,” he told his crew. “There was no sense to throw the bike onto the ground (trying to win). I had no traction and every lap it got worse.” Marquez confessed that his feeling at Brno had not been good since the very first day of the GP weekend. The bike was never really ready to be competitive on race day—but Marquez also admitted that neither was he.

The HRC staff—excluding Marquez’s crew, who know him quite well—were impressed with Marquez’s attitude. “This is the difference between Marc and Casey: the serenity,” said Suppo. “Both are huge talents, but Marquez transmits serenity to all his surroundings.”

After downplaying the situation, Marc immediately called together HRC, Öhlins, Bridgestone and his team technical staff. “OK, let’s (get to) work.” So while a few meters down the pit lane the podium ceremony and celebration was being held, Marquez sat surrounded by his engineers, figuring out the solution to the problems that arose that day.

The next day, in the official MotoGP practice where all the teams in Brno took to the track after the GP, Marquez set the quickest lap time, a new outright lap record for the circuit.

Thanks for the photos Chaos :)

You took all those pictures? If so, wow, impressed. Thanks for sharing :)

Yup. Took them all myself. I ended up taking about 400+ pics (not as impressive as it sounds as I was using rapid photo option to take 4 photos in seconds). The ones in the album are the best results.

Finally got around to the Moto3 Brno race. They never dissapoint, this time with a 17bike group at the front. That sucks, you are in the leading pack and you don't even get points haha.

Happy with the podium results, although I didn't have a chance to watch the race yet.

Probably the best Moto2 race I've ever seen!!! Of course Moto3 was awesome, MotoGP race was pretty awesome too :D

New website provider to host the video files, not sure if the police/dorna shut down my normal one or not: http://212.129.52.88:8080/

Just watched the post-race interviews. Even though Lorenzo was slow in the FP's, plus got ahead only because Marc made a mistake, still enjoyed this unexpected pace he had for the race---what seems typical: complaining and saying Race Direction should investigate the race winning move... too bad, I just had started liking him.

****Spoiler Alert****

I started watching MotoGP in the early 2000s, and Marquez' performance this season reminds me of Rossi in the 990 era. Rossi was the favourite every race and usually won, regardless of where he started or what problems he would encounter during the race. No other rider could really give Rossi, and now Marquez, a fight to the end. The thought was always 'when will Rossi make his move?'. That was the feeling at Silverstone. 'When will Marquez make his move?'. And he did.

Just watched the post-race interviews. Even though Lorenzo was slow in the FP's, plus got ahead only because Marc made a mistake, still enjoyed this unexpected pace he had for the race---what seems typical: complaining and saying Race Direction should investigate the race winning move... too bad, I just had started liking him.

I don't think Lorenzo complained about that pass at all? All i've read is he acknowledged that it was an aggressive move, but wasn't unfair.

Back
Top Bottom