"Traffic Caution" ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Traffic Caution" ticket

WebControl

So, last night I was driving my car. I come to an intersection, red light (I need to turn right).
I stop, yield to 1 pedestrian who was crossing the intersection, after I yield to 4-5 cars, and proceed right through intersection.
After, I accelerate, and outrun on the right last car from that 4-5 cars pack, and change to left lane (I needed to take left turn on next intersection).
And here it comes: cherries on that car (5th one), and I get pulled over.
The officer comes and tells me that it's raining, dangerous conditions, that I was driving with 80-90km/hr in a 50 zone, later he tells me that I didn't yield to him at the first intersection, and he had to brake because of me.
All kind of bs.
In the end, he goes to his car and 5 min later comes with a "Traffic Caution" slip/ticket saying: "fail to yield to traffic" It says that it does not affect my insurance rate.
2 questions i have:
1) Does it affect my insurance?
2) can I fight this "Traffic Caution" because I completely disagree with the offense?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think that you can fight a warning. Would it be possible for them to change it to a real ticket for you to fight?

That being said, you may now be in the system, so if another cop doesn't agree with the way you drive you could then get a ticket.

If it was me, I would seriously review my driving, because the officer took the time to fill out paperwork, but didn't issue a ticket.

What you are describing is a very common occurrence in the GTA, but most people who do force you to brake hard, never realize it.

When making a right turn, if the oncoming traffic already in the lane you want to enter, would have to touch their brakes if you pull out in front of them, then you should be waiting till the pass. Just saying.

From what I hear, they changed it so that when you get 3-5 warnings they have the ability to put a ticket out there since you have been previously "warned".

So long as you don't so it again I think you'll be fine

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

It's a warning. The only effect would be that if the service in question has a method of tracking such warnings, you might not get a break the next time that an officer feels you've broken a traffic law.

I overtook last one, that was moving slower than others.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And this is what's wrong with drivers now. It seems that everyone has a 'me first' attitude and doesn't care at all what their actions behind the wheel have on other drivers.
To the OP:
Why the hell would you accelerate to 'outrun' the last car in a line just so you would have to brake and make a left turn?? What would be so horrible about simply pulling in behind the last car?
Stop and think for a minute....If someone did this to you, you would be on here sobbing about the 'idiot driver who cut me off'.
Please, do the rest of us a favour and start taking the bus.

I did yield to traffic.
As I know the speed is limited, not the acceleration.
To be clear - I did not cut anybody, and nobody had to brake because of my maneuvers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
funny, they do post speed limit signs .. and we know speeding = fine... but there is an acceration limit.. and there are laws you can be charged with ... I saw a guy in court try to argue he didn't speed, he only accelerated fast.. and as soon as he said that .. judge said.. guilty of charge! ... now I forget what the charge was... just saying,, if you accelerate too fast, change lanes too fast, cause someone to take defensive action like stepping on the brake... but don't break the speed limit,, doesn't mean a cop isn't going to call that stunting or something else... even though you don't think your driving was bad,,, someone did.. relax, drive safe, happy trails .. just my opinion

funny, they do post speed limit signs .. and we know speeding = fine... but there is an acceration limit.. and there are laws you can be charged with ... I saw a guy in court try to argue he didn't speed, he only accelerated fast.. and as soon as he said that .. judge said.. guilty of charge! ... now I forget what the charge was... just saying,, if you accelerate too fast, change lanes too fast, cause someone to take defensive action like stepping on the brake... but don't break the speed limit,, doesn't mean a cop isn't going to call that stunting or something else... even though you don't think your driving was bad,,, someone did.. relax, drive safe, happy trails .. just my opinion

If so, then that was improper. While we might well have laws that can be adapted to cover that sort of thing, HTA 172 for example, it's highly unlikely that the original charge took that into account. Unlike many US jurisdictions we have no law for "exhibition of acceleration."

My main disagreement is the offense specified in the "Caution": "fail to yield to traffic" I certainly did yield to all pedestrians and cars, and did not proceed into intersection until it was safe.

If so, then that was improper. While we might well have laws that can be adapted to cover that sort of thing, HTA 172 for example, it's highly unlikely that the original charge took that into account. Unlike many US jurisdictions we have no law for "exhibition of acceleration."
Yah,, I wish I could remember the charge,, but basically by admitting to "driving like an idiot" like the cop called him out for... in his act of rapid acceleration,, the judge felt the charge appropriate...
the guy was driving from red light to red light at full throttle,, didn't spin tires,

I was surprised , but not, as the cop just didn't like the looks of this guy, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed,, has pet peeves on how the public should drive... and chose to school this guy...

I hear WebControl and understand... I wouldn't be happy either..

My main disagreement is the offense specified in the "Caution": "fail to yield to traffic" I certainly did yield to all pedestrians and cars, and did not proceed into intersection until it was safe.

You very well may feel you yielded, From how you told the story it seems you didn't realize there was police car there, (meaning you likely didn't even see him). The officer stated it was raining and "dangerous conditions" he then continued on and stated he had to brake as you had "cut him off" I have had, (as no doubt has everyone), had someone pull in front of us when we felt they shouldn't have. You stated you were overtaking the last car in the right lane AND moving to the left lane AND preparing for an upcoming turn. If you were doing all that it is possible you misjudged. Plus if you had a quick left turn coming up then it would have likely been better to have waited until all cross traffic had passed so you didn't feel rushed or pressure to make a quick lane change etc.

Bottom line is everyday people get tickets they don't "agree" with the officers decision and they take it to court and fight it, (many times they lose). In this instance you can't go that route as it is merely a CAUTION. Normally when your given a written warning it is entered into CPIC so any officer pulling you over in future will see the warning was issued, (never used to be like that it was only visible to THAT officer. The officer who is a trained professional made a determination that your driving habits warranted him taking the time to write you a warning but not so bad as to warrant a ticket. Can you be unhappy with that? Sure but your "opinion" doesn't count. It is a warning take it as it is, it does NOT affect your insurance rates as the insurer doesn't get that info relayed to them.

Not everyone is as good a driver as they think they are.

Be lucky you walked away with just a warning, and go about your day. Focus on your driving and make a conscious effort to re-evaluate how you interact with traffic. Drive safe!

Not everyone is as good a driver as they think they are.

Be lucky you walked away with just a warning, and go about your day. Focus on your driving and make a conscious effort to re-evaluate how you interact with traffic. Drive safe!

Yeah, I usually end up with a ticket before I re-evaluate and figure out how much my driving has deteriorated over a period of time. Fortunately, it's every ten years or so.

Thanks everyone for their opinion.
May be I'm not perfect driver, but in intersections I try to be as safe as possible
I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my driving, as suggested by Baggsy
Drive safe, be safe

Back
Top Bottom