800 Mile 2 Day Ride Which Bike? HD Street Glide or Honda FB6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

800 Mile 2 Day Ride Which Bike? HD Street Glide or Honda FB6

rbjeepthing

So heading out to Vegas next week for SEMA and i'm planning on staying a few extra days to get some riding in with the wife riding pilon. We will be at heading North to Utah then looping back east and down to the Grand Canyon.

Now I've narrowed it down to two different bikes a HD Street Glide and The Honda FB6. The Street Glide I rented last year and was happy with it other then it was a HD with the typical vibes lack of power etc but I still found quite enjoyable. The FB6 has always intrigued me and i'm leaning that way however I don't want to regret it.

So what would you do? What are your opinions?

Last edited:
#1 priority in this case for me would be passenger accommodations. The FB6 looks like to be slightly better in this regard ... did your wife actually ride on the back of a stock Street Glide, though?

I'd go with the Honda. You've already had the HD, and they're both touring rigs. It's not like you're comparing a supermoto to a cruiser.

A Gold Wing is a great touring bike, I don't know if the FB6 is that way as well.

In Jan of 2012 I took my (now) wife with me on a business trip near LA. When it was done we rented a Honda ST1300 from Eagle Riders in LA and spent a week riding in Arizona and California. The ST1300 was a great bike to ride. We only did about 2,000 km (1,200 miles) but she seemed to be comfy enough on it and I was comfy enough as well.

..Tom

the F6B is the lighter, thinnner (? lol) goldwing variant.

#1 priority in this case for me would be passenger accommodations. The FB6 looks like to be slightly better in this regard ... did your wife actually ride on the back of a stock Street Glide, though?

Reviews state the FB6 has the best rear seat in the class. She did ride on the back of the Street Glide and found it fine not sure how cause the seat looked horrible to me.

I'd go with the Honda. You've already had the HD, and they're both touring rigs. It's not like you're comparing a supermoto to a cruiser.

Thanks

I rented a Harley once and would never willingly ride one again. Sounds to me like you should try the FB6.
Have fun.

Thanks. As much as I wasn't super impressed I still had a grin and felt kinda badass on it.

A Gold Wing is a great touring bike, I don't know if the FB6 is that way as well.

In Jan of 2012 I took my (now) wife with me on a business trip near LA. When it was done we rented a Honda ST1300 from Eagle Riders in LA and spent a week riding in Arizona and California. The ST1300 was a great bike to ride. We only did about 2,000 km (1,200 miles) but she seemed to be comfy enough on it and I was comfy enough as well.

..Tom

Id agree the ST1300 is a great bike and if I was spending a week I would likely go that route. The FB6 just seems like a more "interesting" choice as i'd likely never own one.

the F6B is the lighter, thinnner (? lol) goldwing variant.

yup exactly: lower windscreen, no cruise, no back box, no reverse, no adjustable rear suspension.

One other thing you might want to think about is that in California Lane Splitting is a common, easy and expected thing to do (and a lot of fun!) A narrower bike is more useful for doing this.

..Tom

Pulled the trigger last night on the FB6 will give a ride report when I get back. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

My wife and I are thinking the same thing later this month,but she'll want her own. Which rental joint did you find the fb6 from ? She wants a smaller Honda anyway. I'm also considering the same bikes you were along with a BMW r1200rt,they seem quite common down there. Just too much choice ahhhhhh.

My wife and I are thinking the same thing later this month,but she'll want her own. Which rental joint did you find the fb6 from ? She wants a smaller Honda anyway. I'm also considering the same bikes you were along with a BMW r1200rt,they seem quite common down there. Just too much choice ahhhhhh.

I used Eagle Rider. Below is a link to my ride report form last year. The Harley's are dispatched from a different location then the Honda's or the BMW's so you need to select the appropriate location depending on the bike you want to rent. My wife rides as well but not as often as me so on a trip this long in such a short period we agreed it was safer to leave it up to me alone. Worst case she can ride with me on the back if something where to happen.

I will tell you that its true it does get extremely cold in the evening night so dress warn and bring the appropriate gear. During our Lake Mead section we didn't see anybody at all for about 2 hours so bring a small first aid pack and lots of fluids just in case.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Rider-Rentals-Las-Vegas-2011-HD-Street-Glide

Thanks,that's a great report. I would suspect we'll use E.R. It looks like we can get away for a week so US 1 just might be in the cards. Thanks again,very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom