Claiming an abandoned bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Claiming an abandoned bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
you say its a 2011, but what make and model?

you know, there is a chance you are trying to acquire someones bike who is in jail... you really want to go down that road? they will get out eventually (this is canada after all)

the MTO UVIP should tell you the current owner, any loans on it and phone numbers i believe.
plates are only expired 1 year, maybe the person lives nearby and thats their parking spot.. it hasnt moved yet and they may not be able to afford insurance.

I'm not sure why I'm getting so much resistance from everyone. I asked a simple question. Of course it could be stolen (seems unlikely though), of course there's a reason it's where it is.

The person assuredly does not live there. My gut feeling is that the person does not currently reside in the country. I have very specific reasons to believe so.

The bike is nothing special, but if it's abandoned and the owner is reachable and willing to part with it for nearly nothing, I'd have a nice 2nd bike to work on. I like to tinker.

UVIP is on its way (I could've viewed the online version but by the time I got back to the computer my MTO session had expired and I lost access to the download. Doh. Stupid work got in the way.) Will update the thread if and when progress is made.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I'm getting so much resistance from everyone. I asked a simple question. Of course it could be stolen (seems unlikely though), of course there's a reason it's where it is.

The person assuredly does not live there. My gut feeling is that the person does not currently reside in the country. I have very specific reasons to believe so.

The bike is nothing special, but if it's abandoned and the owner is reachable and willing to part with it for nearly nothing, I'd have a nice 2nd bike to work on. I like to tinker.

UVIP is on its way (I could've viewed the online version but by the time I got back to the computer my MTO session had expired and I lost access to the download. Doh. Stupid work got in the way.) Will update the thread if and when progress is made.
lots of people are viewing this as a attempt at a legal theft. if i parked my car on the road for a year because i didnt need to drive it that year would you try to take that too?

because its the exact same comparison just with a car and not a motorcycle?

lots of people are viewing this as a attempt at a legal theft. if i parked my car on the road for a year because i didnt need to drive it that year would you try to take that too?

If he can legally claim this bike then yes, I would take your car. I would take everyones car lol

Now lets go find these rich folks that buy lamborghinis and ferraris and never drive them :D

because its the exact same comparison just with a car and not a motorcycle?

Yes. You stumped me. Good work.

And don't you forget to lock your doors, ever. M. Rain is hiding in the shadows, ready to strike.

If he can legally claim this bike then yes, I would take your car. I would take everyones car lol

Now lets go find these rich folks that buy lamborghinis and ferraris and never drive them :D
i know of a few, but they arent parked on the road.

Yes. You stumped me. Good work.

And don't you forget to lock your doors, ever. M. Rain is hiding in the shadows, ready to strike.

no worries, my bike alarm is also hooked to a 40,000 volt voltage amplifier... if it goes off it sends a shock to anything touching the bike..someone trying to touch it would most likely be on the ground for a little... (in reality, that sounds like a awesome alarm lol)

dont write your self a letter with the old owners name giving you permission to obtain a new ownership for it.
if you do that do not sign the ownership and transfer it into your name.

yes you could do it that easy but you shouldnt.

LMAO! As long as you write "don't" before each instruction, then it's not as if you're suggesting he do it, right?

I got pulled over once for a "random" check. Everything was legit except I hadn't noticed my license was expired. All it needed was a visit to MTO to renew it. Oh, and I was way out in the burbs around Ottawa. OPP guy goes "You have to leave your vehicle here and cab it to MTO in the morning to renew your licence, then pick your vehicle up. But I have a call to go to now. Once I leave, DON'T drive off flying under the radar and renew it once your home." Nice cop that guy was!

How do you not notice your license is expired?

Is your life that exciting?

I know I tend to get behind on paperwork when supermodels start lining out the door waiting to be sexed up.
60burst.gif

This is just like if you were driving down the road and saw a super valuable classic car and wanted to purchase it. You would have to do some leg work and investigation but eventually you could figure out who the rightful owner of the vehicle was and make them an offer. If the bike was just left there for whatever reason, doesn't mean its stolen or abandoned, the OP just made it sound so sketchy, you should of just said "hey saw this cool bike, looks like no one rides and I think if I found out who the owner was I could purchase it for cheap". Another route is to call the police and report a suspicious looking vehicle eventually police will come out and run the vin on it and take appropriate action if required.

Jesus Christ, I asked if there was a process to claim an abandoned bike, I didn't ask for someone with a van to come help me load it.

It couldn't be more clearly abandoned. It's smack in the middle of a pay and display on a side street in a heavy commercial area and people have been stuffing things in and on it and the rotors and chain are bright red from all the rust. Rest of the bike looks mint, tires look new and are still inflated. It's a newish entry-level bike, nothing worth drooling about. I just thought it was a shame for it to be sitting there and was wondering about the legal process to acquire it.

Y'all are being weird.

Last edited:
OP, GTAM is just a tough crowd. It's just that...blah

But seriosly, what bike is it? Stop not answering it.
And I have a trailer.

It's a Ninja 400. I posted it earlier along with the bike's location but the post was (rightfully) removed by a mod. Not my brightest moment there.

Even if it is abandoned, moving it more than 10 ft without having ownership is grand theft auto. Until the MTO gives you a document that lets prove its up for grabs.

Jesus Christ, I asked if there was a process to claim an abandoned bike
And that's what people are replying to. The issue is that you seem to think you get to decide if it's abandoned or not, whereas people are saying it should be up to the owner to make that call.
I tend to agree. If you can't locate the owner then you shouldn't be able to claim the bike, no matter how abandoned it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom