Claiming an abandoned bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Claiming an abandoned bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
<grin>To the OP, maybe a little more info??</grin>

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike is visibly abandoned, parked on the street. Assuming that it's not stolen (which I shall confirm later today), is there a process to claim it?

Google provided a lot of US-specific info.

(I'd rather not call the MTO before I know what's up, in case they just decide to remove the bike from where it is.)

So if someone parks their bike for a couple years on the street (assuming they can legally do so) untouched, you'd consider it abandoned?

With rotors and chain rusted to hell, an Oct 2012 plate sticker and various bits of garbage stuffed between its windshield and bars? In downtown TO?

Yes. Abandoned.

I believe that the vehicle must have been abandoned on your property for you to process a legal claim on it.

Pull the Vin and get a uvip. Try and track down the owner.

Contact service Ontario and see what the procedure would be?

Or just steal it and swap the Vin.

Technically the bike still belongs to it's owner and removing it without the owners consent would be considered theft. I once asked a cop if I could remove a locked bike that was stripped to the frame. Cop told me it's still theft so I assume it's also true for motorcycles or cars. I don't think you can legally "adopt" an abandoned vehicle.

I would be careful about a bike that has been left in this condition. It's likely to have been stolen and dumped, so advising police would be a better idea.

Did a VIN check and nothing came up. You'd figure the MTO would tell me if it was reported stolen? (Would they?)

Interesting thread. OP please keep us updated.
What bike is it anyway?

Unless the owner is medically ill and cannot ride it who would then sell it to you in a cash transaction, you can't just take it even if it's abandoned because it is a slippery slope. There would be gangs of drug addicts and tow truck drivers going around taking anything metal that they think might be even a slightly bit beat up and heading off to the scrap metal dealer.

The City of Toronto now has a regulation of some sort within the last few months where they will post a notice on abandoned bicycles and if it is still there after X time they will come and cut it off.

That's why after all these years those dust covered rusted out bicycle frames were finally removed from Union station.

The CPIC website has nothing on the bike so I'm thinking that there's a remote but very real chance that the bike was bought and abandoned by a temporary resident/worker/student who had to leave the country. Hope I can track him/her down.

dear god man, there is a litany of bikes on Kijiji at this time of year for well under a grand. Surely your time could be better spent on something that doesn't sound like a rusty death-trap.

I'm the cheapest bastard alive and I wouldn't go down this road.

dont write your self a letter with the old owners name giving you permission to obtain a new ownership for it.
if you do that do not sign the ownership and transfer it into your name.

yes you could do it that easy but you shouldnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom