Can I use random plates to go get safety done? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I use random plates to go get safety done?

Germax

Site Supporter
Ok, hypothetical situation. Bike purchased and needs safety. I was told by a cop that I do not need temporary plates as long as I have valid plates from similar vehicle and valid insurance.
Apparently I have 6 days to complete the process and not to bother with temporary plates. Just bolt on what you got and ride...

It sounds too good to me but cop is adamant it is all good.

I do not know him good enough to press for actual HTA section so I left it at that....

My situation is bit different. I'm doing riv thing and need federal inspection. I went to mto and I was refused temporary plates. Apparently it must be towed until form 1 gets second stamp...

Still advice I got is same. Put plates on and ride to get things done.

Please reply only if you have specific facts to add. I'm sure there is million of opinions here but facts are what counts....

Thanks!

I went into 43 division and asked them if a customer of mine can drive his new car home with his own plates without transferring the ownership. They said as long as he has the proper documents like the bill of sale and insurance, it won't be a problem.
There's always a chance that you run into a cop who will give you hard time.
If you just need a safety paper to get your things in order, PM me.

Well, apparently that is perfectly fine with few conditions...
good to know and goodby temporary plates...

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm
Temporary use of plates
(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
Idem
(4) Despite section 7 and clauses 12 (1) (d) and (e), a person may drive a motor vehicle or draw a trailer on a highway within six days after becoming the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer where the person complies with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (4).

Please do not forget to have valid insurance, because the ticket is a lot more $$$$significant.

You can argue that the plate is OK, but even if the cop agrees, if you don't have insurance for the vehicle, the cop will write you a ticket and most likely will not allow you to continue riding.

Insurance is obligatory. Also it is not something that bike needs to be driven to. This is just potential replacement for temporary plates...

the ownership can NOT be in "unfit" condition to do this... so you must have just bought the vehicle , and have a valid sticker on the plates, and call your insurance co for binder ins., and carry the bill of sale for the vehicle, the ownership for the plates, and the pink slip, ..... ooops,, officer , I forgot to put the date on that bill of sale... I just bought it this morning,, trust me! I think we hashed this out a while ago... as I used to use any plate I had to bring home bikes... so I would attach a car plate, or a truck plate.... but I am pretty sure it was pointed out that is not allowed now..

I'm importing the bike from USA and mto refused to give me temporary plates to ride to Canadian tire for the inspection. Instead of the towing the bike I used this method. All was in the order back to the front including the insurance. It is valid and legal system to ride the bike before going to mto. However I would not want to get stopped by the cop unfamiliar with this law...

the ownership can NOT be in "unfit" condition to do this... so you must have just bought the vehicle , and have a valid sticker on the plates, and call your insurance co for binder ins., and carry the bill of sale for the vehicle, the ownership for the plates, and the pink slip, ..... ooops,, officer , I forgot to put the date on that bill of sale... I just bought it this morning,, trust me! I think we hashed this out a while ago... as I used to use any plate I had to bring home bikes... so I would attach a car plate, or a truck plate.... but I am pretty sure it was pointed out that is not allowed now..

what is this whole unfit category? my buddy just got a bike but isnt putting it on the road till next year (obviously season is basically done) so if he changes the ownership to his name without a safety it would go in as unfit.. then all he needs is to get a safety and take that in with his insurance to get it on the road or is it a different process?

call rosie toes. he may come to you for a safety.

Once I got second riv stamp I actually got temp plate.

I used NY plates. Canadian Tire was 2km from me anyway.

what is this whole unfit category? my buddy just got a bike but isnt putting it on the road till next year (obviously season is basically done) so if he changes the ownership to his name without a safety it would go in as unfit.. then all he needs is to get a safety and take that in with his insurance to get it on the road

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom