Stop Leak actually works... on a Subaru!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stop Leak actually works... on a Subaru!!

There might also be an emulsion in your coolant/oil. Something like mayonnaise, creamy stuff

Can be found on the bottom of the filler cap. Was an easy way to avoid a few lemons

What? Explain plz.

You unscrew the filler cap and if you see something that looks like yellowish mayo on the bottom of it, that could indicate oil and coolant mixing. Taking a whiff will give you the coolant smell, too but it's pretty faint.

UPDATE: The stop leak is actually holding up to now. No overheating, and the heat works ok

The car is a 98 Outback with the EJ25.
Other than the HG issue on a boxer motor, the car is great!!
I for one got the benefit of the AWD. One time, the front-left drive shaft split up. But I was able to take it to a garage without calling for tow!! - It made alot of noise, but it didn't leave me stranded.

The body is rough, and the car is a clunker. But I am hoping it will be a great winter beater.
When winter is over, I'm sure getting another Subaru - Hopefully newer or brand spanking new.

I do like Subarus, and I know most of you guys too.

Bump to this. Summer builds up a lot of pressure in my cooling system. Coolants gets pushed out of the expansion tank, then when it cools the level usually drops bellow minimum. It does not overheat. This has been going on for a few years, but I use my car so little in the summer it hasn't bothered me. In the winter I just top coolant once a month, since pressure still pushes it out sometimes. There's no white smoke coming out of he tail pipe.

Does iron tite have a chance to fix this? I imagine engine pressure would push it away and won't get into the crack. Ceramic Motor Seal or All Weather Seal?

Bump to this. Summer builds up a lot of pressure in my cooling system. Coolants gets pushed out of the expansion tank, then when it cools the level usually drops bellow minimum. It does not overheat. This has been going on for a few years, but I use my car so little in the summer it hasn't bothered me. In the winter I just top coolant once a month, since pressure still pushes it out sometimes. There's no white smoke coming out of he tail pipe.

Does iron tite have a chance to fix this? I imagine engine pressure would push it away and won't get into the crack. Ceramic Motor Seal or All Weather Seal?
Is your cooling system a closed one or an open one? Closed meaning pressure builds up in the system.

Most Japanese have an open one.
If so then are you using a correct ratio coolant?

It's closed. Water comes out of the overpressure port. I am running water right now, no coolant.

It's closed. Water comes out of the overpressure port. I am running water right now, no coolant.

Ahhh, that explains a lot. I've found closed systems would bleed a bit of coolant from the cap if overfilled. Are you fillimg it to the suggested level?

Water would generally evaporate faster than coolant. Try using coolant

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I pushes out ~1L on a hot day.When it cools the coolant goes bellow minimum. Same **** with G12 coolant.

I pushes out ~1L on a hot day.When it cools the coolant goes bellow minimum. Same **** with G12 coolant.
Water boils at 100*C, a good mixed coolant ~120*C. When water boils it expands alot. Really bad for a closed system, might even pop your rad.

I don't know what coolant you mentioned, but I'd go with a good one & fix the leak.

Dude my temp does not go over 100. I can see bubbles coming up in my expansion tank. The head leaks and I just want to hang on to the car until I find a Passat with a blown tranny to swap a manual in. It might take a while to find one.

BTW while coolant boils at higher temps it also does a poorer job at cooling your engine.

G12 is the coolant you're supposed to put in VW and audis.

Back
Top Bottom