Brake Flasher legal or illegal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake Flasher legal or illegal?

I find them distracting. Just my 2c.
I have no clue if the rider is hard on their brake on gently touching it

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I have one on my street bike. Never have been hassled.

Mine blink / flash very fast then go solid.

mine flashes, never been heckled by any popo.
although its not an obscene in your face bright flash

Technically not legal, but in the same vein, the turn signals on a car that has combined red turn/brake/tail lamps in the rear is also technically illegal. (Not allowed to have a light that produces "intermittent flashes of red light". HTA s. 62 (14). Four-way flashers are exempted, but red turn signals are not ...) The difference is that with cars that are like that, you can point to the car's declaration of conformity with CMVSS from the original manufacturer. Can't do that with a brake lamp flasher ...

If there is any possibility of doing so, keep the stock brake light with its original function (no brake flasher) and add one or more extra rear brake lights connected to the flasher.

I'd like to think that most cops with half a shred of common sense will recognize the attempt to make the bike more visible and won't do anything about it. I've used one, never had an issue with it, and haven't heard of anyone having issues with it. Use common sense when setting the flashing pattern ... I had mine set so that it would flash three or four times then go solid.

I find them distracting. Just my 2c.
I have no clue if the rider is hard on their brake on gently touching it
I think a flashing brake light makes a driver following take a few seconds more to try to figure out if you are stopping,, I have a module that puts my signals on all the time,, and turns them off to flash... but it also triggers the brake light to flash 3 times... which I have polled riders following me.. and they all seem to think it is NOT a good thing.
I haven't unplugged it yet , as I think the extra illumination helps

Thanks, I heard it was illegal, I just wanted to make sure.
Yes, same one but different brand. 4fast flash, 4 slower flash, then it turns solid

Technically not legal, but in the same vein, the turn signals on a car that has combined red turn/brake/tail lamps in the rear is also technically illegal. (Not allowed to have a light that produces "intermittent flashes of red light". HTA s. 62 (14). Four-way flashers are exempted, but red turn signals are not ...) The difference is that with cars that are like that, you can point to the car's declaration of conformity with CMVSS from the original manufacturer. Can't do that with a brake lamp flasher ...

If there is any possibility of doing so, keep the stock brake light with its original function (no brake flasher) and add one or more extra rear brake lights connected to the flasher.

I'd like to think that most cops with half a shred of common sense will recognize the attempt to make the bike more visible and won't do anything about it. I've used one, never had an issue with it, and haven't heard of anyone having issues with it. Use common sense when setting the flashing pattern ... I had mine set so that it would flash three or four times then go solid.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

What about turn signals? Is there a limit on how many you can have at the rear?

you could always wire it up on a switch of sorts so if you do get pulled over you'd be able to disable it and make the cop think they're going nuts?

I think they are illegal but I doubt any cop would penalize you for trying to be extra safe.

I have one (goes solid after 4 flashes) and have had cops follow me with no probs.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I found one with the function to delay 40 or 20 seconds after the initial flashing. So if you are stuck in traffic you are not constantly flashing the car behind you.

Think you'll find that thee quote on flashing red only applies to red light to the front. SO, flashing to rear IS ok!

Probably not as it seems to confuse people but I know integrated signals are illegal.

Illegal?. Dunno, but Oakville transit buses have them in use currently.

They are illegal, based on the HTA. If installed from the factory you would have a reasonable excuse, but aftermarket are a different story.

I have one in my GS400 but the logic for the flashing is in the Blub instead of in a controller to you can just swap the bulb out to turn it of. I know they are "Illegal" to the letter of that law but i think they add to visibility... mind you your bike could be painted lime green and covered in flashing LED'S and play mariachi music super loud and someone will still say they didn't see you.

When I'm clipping along in light traffic and there is a slowdown coming I'll just gently tap my brake a few times. I don't know that I like the idea of a flasher all the time especially if I have to get up on the brakes hard. I don't want there to be any confusion. Maybe it's safer - I dunno, but I'm not sold.

Back
Top Bottom