Track/Race Bike. What to look for? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track/Race Bike. What to look for?

I'm aware of the weraclassifieds.com and I've imported several times so I'm familiar with RIV....I don't know if you personally have done it..? hopefully someone will chime in.

what are the bikes brought in as salvage bikes being registered as...? there's no point going through the RIV process to get an Ontario ownership since it means nothing for obvious reasons (Ontario mandatory vehicle branding program)...so is it imported as a parts only vehicle and just hold onto all US titles, import/customs paperwork for proof of ownership...? going this route you are subject to paying taxes just like buying anything used

guys with track bikes, do most have Ontario ownerships weather there salvage or clean title pay the taxes and transfer the ownership in there name- would buying a track bike with out an ownership concern you...?

there are definitely some deals to be had in the states even with the Canadian dollar being down...and more of a selection even with the cost of shipping I could have a bike shipped to Niagara Falls, Ny cheaper then driving to some of these places

If there is no title than just import it as parts and pay the HST, no need for RIV. Regarding the no title, lots of guys do it and lots of others say they would never do it so it's all how you feel about it and how much you trust the guy who is telling you about the history.

If there is no title than just import it as parts and pay the HST, no need for RIV. Regarding the no title, lots of guys do it and lots of others say they would never do it so it's all how you feel about it and how much you trust the guy who is telling you about the history.
so I assume that you don't have to declare with US CBP 72 hours ahead of time and have the title stamped...?

so I assume that you don't have to declare with US CBP 72 hours ahead of time and have the title stamped...?

If there is no title you can't have it stamped. If you are importing as parts only...drive right to Canadian border and tell the guy at the booth you are importing as parts only. He will send you inside, you advise the price you paid (don't lie), fill out a form, pay tax, drive home.

If there is no title you can't have it stamped. If you are importing as parts only...drive right to Canadian border and tell the guy at the booth you are importing as parts only. He will send you inside, you advise the price you paid (don't lie), fill out a form, pay tax, drive home.

so what measures are in place to prevent you from importing a stolen bike ...or a bike with a lein ? if it was that easy

+1 for buying from Lloyd. He saved my day with some last minute SV parts a few years ago.

I'm aware of the weraclassifieds.com and I've imported several times so I'm familiar with RIV....I don't know if you personally have done it..? hopefully someone will chime in.

what are the bikes brought in as salvage bikes being registered as...? there's no point going through the RIV process to get an Ontario ownership since it means nothing for obvious reasons (Ontario mandatory vehicle branding program)...so is it imported as a parts only vehicle and just hold onto all US titles, import/customs paperwork for proof of ownership...? going this route you are subject to paying taxes just like buying anything used

guys with track bikes, do most have Ontario ownerships weather there salvage or clean title pay the taxes and transfer the ownership in there name- would buying a track bike with out an ownership concern you...?

there are definitely some deals to be had in the states even with the Canadian dollar being down...and more of a selection even with the cost of shipping I could have a bike shipped to Niagara Falls, Ny cheaper then driving to some of these places
I have done it myself, I brought the bike in as a "Parts Only" bike, no RIV, all you have to do is fill a form in your way into Canada, however be aware that you will not be able to register the bike ever and you will not be able to take the bike to the states for track days

I have done it myself, I brought the bike in as a "Parts Only" bike, no RIV, all you have to do is fill a form in your way into Canada, however be aware that you will not be able to register the bike ever and you will not be able to take the bike to the states for track days
I thought there was a form you can fill at the border for declaring an untitled bike for american trackdays?

Pretty sure some guys on here have gone to Grattan and Jennings with untitled bikes. I could be wrong.

I thought there was a form you can fill at the border for declaring an untitled bike for american trackdays?

Pretty sure some guys on here have gone to Grattan and Jennings with untitled bikes. I could be wrong.
Yea but the difference is that you took a bike out of the states without "telling them" so to them that bike never left, so there is no reason for the bike to be coming back in and they can confiscate it.

You are supposed to call the boarder 3 days in advance and get them to stamp it on the way out, if you chose to just leave and declare it parts only in Canada, there ain't no going back to the states ... for what I was told, I might be wrong

so what measures are in place to prevent you from importing a stolen bike ...or a bike with a lein ? if it was that easy
It is that easy, you don't see the us border guys. I brought a bike back in the winter months and had the bike covered, nobody at the border even looked at my bike they just asked for my bill of sale, I filled out the parts only form and paid my tax. You can not ever put it on the street so if that is something you ever want to do then you have to export it from the states.

You can take the bike to customs (there is one at the airport) and get them to fill out a form saying it is your bike that you are taking to the states, I think that is what you are thinking about. I have not done that and forget the name of the form but I am not sure if that works for a bike that was not exported.

Guys have got the form for bikes that they do not have ownerships for however those were for bikes that were bought in Canada so again I am not sure if that will or will not work for "American" bikes.

Last edited:
If you were to buy an engine and frame from the states would you have to export those parts? If not and you brought the parts into Canada and finished building the rest of the bike with Canadian parts, could you then take that bike to the states?

So it would only work an an bike that was originally canadian or a bike that never had a VIN?

I have not done it so don't want to post a yes or no answer, I only know that you can get a form from customs that helps you get the bike back into Canada. Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand experience.

Back
Top Bottom