Track/Race Bike. What to look for? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track/Race Bike. What to look for?

I think it's safe to say at this point I am looking at a Japanese 600. Is one brand easier to work on than the others? What about parts prices/availability etc.?
Part Availability definitely GSXR's, but I never had any issues finding parts for my zx6r, Prices all about the same but Honda.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say at this point I am looking at a Japanese 600. Is one brand easier to work on than the others? What about parts prices/availability etc.?

Parts availability definitely goes to the Gsxr as well as being easy to work on. Suzuki/Kawasaki are the easiest Yamaha and Honda are more complex.

Parts availability definitely goes to the Gsxr as well as being easy to work on. Suzuki/Kawasaki are the easiest Yamaha and Honda are more complex.
I'm also wanting to get into the track scene .. I ride a 09 cbr600 on the street so in my case would you stick with a honda as a track bike or choose a different brand ...? I am open to a change ....how about years of bikes what would you guys suggest

op sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread I just thought that it was all relevant

What's your budget?
I'm also wanting to get into the track scene .. I ride a 09 cbr600 on the street so in my case would you stick with a honda as a track bike or choose a different brand ...? I am open to a change ....how about years of bikes what would you guys suggest

op sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread I just thought that it was all relevant

Your questions are very vague.

So my answer is.... Honda is good. So are Kawi, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc, etc. What year? Newer is typically better but in general 2006 or newer.

What's your budget?

I would like to try and keep it around the $4000 range (bike only) obviously the cheaper the better ... But I'm trying to be realistic as well ... I've never rode on a track before but I'm willing to jump in with both feet in regards to purchasing a dedicated track bike ...

Your questions are very vague.

So my answer is.... Honda is good. So are Kawi, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc, etc. What year? Newer is typically better but in general 2006 or newer.

That's kinda what I was thinking... Just wasn't sure I was on the right track (no pun intended)

I would like to try and keep it around the $4000 range (bike only) obviously the cheaper the better ... But I'm trying to be realistic as well ... I've never rode on a track before but I'm willing to jump in with both feet in regards to purchasing a dedicated track bike ...
For that budget, it would be an entry level track bike. Anything pretty much will do, you are probably looking into something between 2005 and 2007

You can look in Kijiji and also Wera classifieds.

You wanna look for damage or bent parts on them like sub frame, forks or cracks on the frame. Don't look for a perfectly painted bike (as most rookies do) you will be paying top dollar for it just because is shinny. Look for performance parts mostly suspension (elka, ohlins) everything else is just bling and not needed at your level

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ... I was hoping for something a little newer I. The Yamaha chassis like 06 and newer if it was going to be a r6...
That is a well sorted out track bike.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ... I was hoping for something a little newer I. The Yamaha chassis like 06 and newer if it was going to be a r6...
Then be prepared to spend over $5K for a decent one.

tumblr_inline_mrc5zn01T41qz4rgp.gif

Then be prepared to spend over $5K for a decent one.

Exactly.

JTRUDEL90, hoping for a newer bike because of the chassis design sort of contradicts your original question asking for suggestions. Frame design, mass centralisation, slipper clutch, whatever other trick things that new bikes have means nothing when you're starting out. Find a bike from a around 2000/2001 for around $2000. You will most likely crash it more than once in your first year. Once you get better and learn to not crash so much, sell that and put some more money into a modern bike.

Exactly.

JTRUDEL90, hoping for a newer bike because of the chassis design sort of contradicts your original question asking for suggestions. Frame design, mass centralisation, slipper clutch, whatever other trick things that new bikes have means nothing when you're starting out. Find a bike from a around 2000/2001 for around $2000. You will most likely crash it more than once in your first year. Once you get better and learn to not crash so much, sell that and put some more money into a modern bike.

Totally. If I did it all over again I'd buy a $1500 F4 or something and beat the living **** out of it

For that budget, it would be an entry level track bike. Anything pretty much will do, you are probably looking into something between 2005 and 2007

You can look in Kijiji and also Wera classifieds.

You wanna look for damage or bent parts on them like sub frame, forks or cracks on the frame. Don't look for a perfectly painted bike (as most rookies do) you will be paying top dollar for it just because is shinny. Look for performance parts mostly suspension (elka, ohlins) everything else is just bling and not needed at your level

I'm aware of the weraclassifieds.com and I've imported several times so I'm familiar with RIV....I don't know if you personally have done it..? hopefully someone will chime in.

what are the bikes brought in as salvage bikes being registered as...? there's no point going through the RIV process to get an Ontario ownership since it means nothing for obvious reasons (Ontario mandatory vehicle branding program)...so is it imported as a parts only vehicle and just hold onto all US titles, import/customs paperwork for proof of ownership...? going this route you are subject to paying taxes just like buying anything used

guys with track bikes, do most have Ontario ownerships weather there salvage or clean title pay the taxes and transfer the ownership in there name- would buying a track bike with out an ownership concern you...?

there are definitely some deals to be had in the states even with the Canadian dollar being down...and more of a selection even with the cost of shipping I could have a bike shipped to Niagara Falls, Ny cheaper then driving to some of these places

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom