Track/Race Bike. What to look for? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track/Race Bike. What to look for?

Chaos

Ok, I am one step closer to doing track/racing on a semi-regular basis. So I'm now looking at an exclusive track bike.

Being a track/race newbie, what should I be looking for in a track bike? I see there a number for sale out there, and the extras range from minimal to comprehensive, with a price to match.

Given my experience, I realize I don't need a bike with all sorts of mods, mainly because I won't get to benefit from them for some time.

Any advice/what to look for is welcome.

For what it's worth, my attention has mainly on a 600, mainly because that's what is mostly out there, though, I've seen a few SV650s.

As Kellen already mentioned, the two major components that you will benefit the most from are brakes and suspension work.
Everything else falls under the "nice to have" category. Now if I can only take my own advice and stop buying things that I don't really need. lol

Since the racing season is done, keep an eye out for a good solid ex race bike with a stock motor/minimal motor work. They usually come with all the goodies, and it's cheaper than buying the extras later on. Even if you don't need them, sometimes it's just nice to have.

I too will be selling a sorted racebike.

I too will be selling a sorted racebike.
Damn it, that's it, I am leaving and taking my ball with me

That's one hell of a deal for sure! I would definitely buy it with the damper though. Me hate dem tank slappers...
Funny thing is that is not selling because noobs like shinny things with no scratches, meh

All stock got me through a season and a half. Unless you're at either extreme end of the weight spectrum, I'd stick to stock suspension. For brakes just upgrade to ss lines and decent pads. Brembos and all that crap are a waste of money unless you're running decent times.
And as many others have said buy something that's already set up, it's way cheaper.

You can buy a bike with suspension set up for a 140 lb, but it's not much good if you weigh 200+.

For me the first thing I would be looking for in a track bike would be ownership, whether clean or branded doesn't matter. Second the history on the bike, is the bike well known locally. Buy a bare bone bike and spend the savings on some race schooling, fast or racer5.

You can buy a bike with suspension set up for a 140 lb, but it's not much good if you weigh 200+.

For me the first thing I would be looking for in a track bike would be ownership, whether clean or branded doesn't matter. Second the history on the bike, is the bike well known locally. Buy a bare bone bike and spend the savings on some race schooling, fast or racer5.
That's why I said Unless you're at either extreme end of the weight spectrum, stick with stock. Diets are the cheapest upgrade.

I have a really nice CBR125 race ready for sale. :)

Its fast. Its passed lots of 600s at track days.

Last edited:
I raced my R6 with good results for the first two yrs almost stock. It had a pipe, jets, braided lines and a steering damper.
After a couple yrs I added an Ohlins shock and some aftermarket brake pads.
Still lands me on the box once in a while, but the competition has definitely stepped up their game this yr.

I think it's safe to say at this point I am looking at a Japanese 600. Is one brand easier to work on than the others? What about parts prices/availability etc.?

I think you're safe with any of the big 4, really. Just make sure you get something that you're comfortable on.
I find GSX-R's (06+) to be the most common and I have no problem selling or buying parts for them.

Back
Top Bottom