Just got a voicemail from a police officer warning me about my driving | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just got a voicemail from a police officer warning me about my driving

Buddhacide

Site Supporter
What the hell? So I just checked my messages and there is a message from a police officer stating that some other driver made a report with my license plate saying that I was driving erratically, running lights and almost taking out pedestrians. He gave me the time and place and I was on my way home from work at the time, but was not doing anything abnormal. He also said that my plate is now on file and that if he receives another complaint I'll be served with some sort of citation. Let me state that I have no history of infractions in my 8 years on a bike. Ive never even been pulled over. This is completely ludicrous. Clearly I did something someone didn't approve of, but can this sort of hearsay actually be used against me? I'm scared this will happen again and I'll have some dangerous driving charge out of nowhere. Please advise.

I tried. His mail box is full and he only works 11pm to 6 am. The message was left in the middle of the night last night. Friggin ridiculous.

I tried. His mail box is full and he only works 11pm to 6 am. The message was left in the middle of the night last night. Friggin ridiculous.

Call the local division and leave a message for him to call you back. They work on rotating shifts, so that wont be his regular scheduled hours.

I'm going to try him next week. The officer answering the phone at 54 division wasn't particularly helpful.

What the hell? So I just checked my messages and there is a message from a police officer stating that some other driver made a report with my license plate saying that I was driving erratically, running lights and almost taking out pedestrians. He gave me the time and place and I was on my way home from work at the time, but was not doing anything abnormal. He also said that my plate is now on file and that if he receives another complaint I'll be served with some sort of citation. Let me state that I have no history of infractions in my 8 years on a bike. Ive never even been pulled over. This is completely ludicrous. Clearly I did something someone didn't approve of, but can this sort of hearsay actually be used against me? I'm scared this will happen again and I'll have some dangerous driving charge out of nowhere. Please advise.

The "citation" probably means an officer serving you with a letter or something. They can't charge you with anything, all this really amounts to is a bad character reference.

That has to mean something though. I'm concerned if I ever do get pulled over for anything they'll throw the book at me.

I've heard of the letters before but I'm just curious of the link between your licence plate # and your telephone #. If not in the MTO database, was there other investigative work to determine such? Perhaps an plate-owner lookup then a 411/phonebook lookup with correlation to address of both? Interesting.

Strange right? Better that than a cop showing up at my work or something. But yeah, I'm sure it didn't take a lot of red tape.

I've heard of the letters before but I'm just curious of the link between your licence plate # and your telephone #. If not in the MTO database, was there other investigative work to determine such? Perhaps an plate-owner lookup then a 411/phonebook lookup with correlation to address of both? Interesting.

I can't remember what the MTO keeps on file for contact information, but your phone number is definitely associated with your driver's license, and THAT is associated with your license plate.

Better question yet is: How did he get your phone number?

I was in the same situation as OP. Someone reported my plates and the police called threatening to ticket me.

The police actually couldn't find my number, so they called a friend of mine. THey only knew he was my friend because we were pulled over in a car together years ago for a 'routine check'. So they told my friend that I have to call them or they will set a warrant out for me. I called in and denied the accusations, the cop said she'll put in on my record as a warning.

How they got my buddy's number.... I have a theory, when we were in high school, police used to come and pull us over while walking home..they would write down what we were wearing, time of day, etc and asked us for our phone number.

If they want to make their own notes fine but this should not be allowed. He said/she said doesn't stand in court, it certainly wouldn't in this case either. They going to start handing out red light tickets because I call and say I saw this car with this plate run a red? I'd have called the station and told the cop to go **** himself and have a nice day.

I guess its good they actually do something when someone calls, but the whole "he said she said" element makes me mad. In this case, I was not acting badly. All it takes is a little bit of anti-motorcycle bias and somebody overreacting and it could do a lot of damage.

It's called "RoadWatch." Someone sees you behaving badly (or takes a general dislike to you, or thinks that your invisible friend flipped him off) and he calls the local police, to report you. Generally speaking it's a few reports before they even bother to contact you, but not necessarily.

This thing only holds water in case you get pulled over and the cop is trying to decide whether to let you off with a warning or give you a ticket. Otherwise, it's a whole lot of hot air

That's a problem though. I have never been pulled over. I want to be credited for that if and when it happens.

That's a problem though. I have never been pulled over. I want to be credited for that if and when it happens.

And you still haven't. If you ever do, then you can explain yourself but based on your present record, not likely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom