HOV lane ticket | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV lane ticket

Very funny :) but it makes a major difference to points which highway he was on whether in Toronto area or Provincial!

Thanks for the thorough reply -D-. It is absolutely stupid why insurance should be affected by this. I get that its against the law and therefore should be a ticket but it doesnt endanger anyone in any awy including th erider. If anything, its a safer lane. So i really dont get why insurance has to be affected. its such a scam.
I will fight it however, even if i get it reduced, the insurance will still go up regardless (from what i understand, any ticke that you pay and be convicted of will raise your insurance no matter how minor), I really need to avoid that if i can in anyawy. The cops show up most of the time now so thats not really an option to count on. Im hoping to find some kind of a loophole here

There is no loophole.
Just try to talk to the Crown the day off. Dress properly e.g. a tie and dress shirt.
I was surprised how many ppl go to court looking like bums as in wife beaters and shorts.
I knew someone that tossed a few of my tickets. She told me later the fact that I was dressed nice (according to her) and spoke well, she did not deem it the best use of the Crown time or courts time. Tell them you accept your actions (qualify that you did not know and now you do so it will not occur again) however you are worried about the unfair insurance hike you are facing will they please consider lowering the charge. Be honest and humble yet firm and they usually will plea it down.

I believe your bike has a solo seat cowl as an option. Did you have it on that day? Did the officer notice it?
This will help you if you demonstrate that your bike is 100% at occupancy.

You are doing the right thing, fight it.

yes, insurance companies wanted to hike our rates for parking tickets. They want ANY reason ti charge you more, it not about fairness it's about fairne$$

There is no loophole.
Just try to talk to the Crown the day off. Dress properly e.g. a tie and dress shirt.
I was surprised how many ppl go to court looking like bums as in wife beaters and shorts.
I knew someone that tossed a few of my tickets. She told me later the fact that I was dressed nice (according to her) and spoke well, she did not deem it the best use of the Crown time or courts time. Tell them you accept your actions (qualify that you did not know and now you do so it will not occur again) however you are worried about the unfair insurance hike you are facing will they please consider lowering the charge. Be honest and humble yet firm and they usually will plea it down.

I believe your bike has a solo seat cowl as an option. Did you have it on that day? Did the officer notice it?
This will help you if you demonstrate that your bike is 100% at occupancy.

You are doing the right thing, fight it.

yes, insurance companies wanted to hike our rates for parking tickets. They want ANY reason ti charge you more, it not about fairness it's about fairne$$

Of course just one more point to consider when you go see the crown they WILL have the OP's driving history in front of them. so if the OP has accumulated more than a couple of tickets, (which it appears he has given his potential insurance hike), they will be less likely to deal with it in a kind caring compassionate manner..lol Again it isn't about 100% occupancy the law is clear it states motorcycles can only use the lane with a rider AND a passenger, if the bike isn't able to carry a passenger there is no "loophole" there. Then it is clear that bike would never be permitted to use the HOV lanes, (well till they become the "new" pay to use lanes)..lol

Last edited:
So this is a HTA ticket sec154.113. I got it on hwy 403 and Hurontario going east bound. As i mentioned before, i was in the lane very shortly and only during the time that it was dotted not a solid line (if that helps me in anyway)
I have a decent records. Always been in the one ticket zone. Ive also never had any points, accidents, careless or DUIs on my record either.
I was thinking of getting a paralegal but seems like many people are telling me not to since this is one of those black and white tickets. As in i either was in the HOV or was not. I will ask for the disclosure to see what it says.
To those who were mentioning my seat cowl, i did not have a passenger seat so my bike was full capacity that day if that matters.
Also, i really appreciate all you guys taking your time and replying :)

So this is a HTA ticket sec154.113. I got it on hwy 403 and Hurontario going east bound. As i mentioned before, i was in the lane very shortly and only during the time that it was dotted not a solid line (if that helps me in anyway)
I have a decent records. Always been in the one ticket zone. Ive also never had any points, accidents, careless or DUIs on my record either.
I was thinking of getting a paralegal but seems like many people are telling me not to since this is one of those black and white tickets. As in i either was in the HOV or was not. I will ask for the disclosure to see what it says.
To those who were mentioning my seat cowl, i did not have a passenger seat so my bike was full capacity that day if that matters.
Also, i really appreciate all you guys taking your time and replying :)
1) the dotted line means absolutely nothing
2) Maximum capacity means absolutely nothing
Hiring someone for a minor is a waste of money because they will likely only be able to reduce, not eliminate, the ticket therefore your insurance will be affected in exactly the same way.

You eff'd up - time to pay for it

1) the dotted line means absolutely nothing
2) Maximum capacity means absolutely nothing
Hiring someone for a minor is a waste of money because they will likely only be able to reduce, not eliminate, the ticket therefore your insurance will be affected in exactly the same way.

You eff'd up - time to pay for it
That seems to be the case with the dotted line and the capacity. And i dont mind paying for my ticket. Its the insurance scam in Ontario that really grind my gears! lol
On a different note though, thank god youre not a cop, or maybe you are lol

That seems to be the case with the dotted line and the capacity. And i dont mind paying for my ticket. Its the insurance scam in Ontario that really grind my gears! lol
On a different note though, thank god youre not a cop, or maybe you are lol
Nope, definitely not a cop.
I speed. I don't always come to a full stop. I'm usually pretty good about giving people the benefit of the doubt. But, people who misuse the HOV lane really grind my gears. You're sticking up your middle finger and saying that you are more important than the thousands of other drivers just trying to get home.

Nope, definitely not a cop.
I speed. I don't always come to a full stop. I'm usually pretty good about giving people the benefit of the doubt. But, people who misuse the HOV lane really grind my gears. You're sticking up your middle finger and saying that you are more important than the thousands of other drivers just trying to get home.
Funny thing is, as much as no one here is going to believe this, i take that route to work every single day and this was the very first time i used the HOV and got booked for it. Only because i was super late for a meeting that i couldnt be late for and the traffic was very unusually locked. So it doesnt jusfity being there (from a lgeal stance point) but i had never used the HOV before on my bike. That being said, it is a ridiculous law and Ontario 400 series highways seem to be the only place that motorcycles are not allowed in the HOV lane.

Funny thing is, as much as no one here is going to believe this, i take that route to work every single day and this was the very first time i used the HOV and got booked for it. Only because i was super late for a meeting that i couldnt be late for and the traffic was very unusually locked. So it doesnt jusfity being there (from a lgeal stance point) but i had never used the HOV before on my bike. That being said, it is a ridiculous law and Ontario 400 series highways seem to be the only place that motorcycles are not allowed in the HOV lane.

Murphy's Law.

Back
Top Bottom