Saftey inspection for a KZ650 bobber. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saftey inspection for a KZ650 bobber.

adamkret

Hello. I am wondering what i can get away with, and what i have to pay attention to in order to get my hardtail KZ650 to pass safety. 1) Do i need a kill switch on the handlebars? 2) Exhaust is 4 glasspacks which dump at the swingarm, will i need to find a factory exhaust? 3) I have no chain guards, the clutch mechanism is modified to work without the countershaft sprocket cover, so the entire chain is totally exposed from front to rear. Can i get away with it because the bike is custom?

New tires, new cables, new stainless braided brake lines, everything is tight and clean. Wiring is all hidden. I am hoping i can get away with the technicalities because they are designed to be like that, not flawed/missing. If anyone has experience it would be good to hear.

edit: Oh, and also 4) my license plate is mounted vertically at a 45degress angle. I didn't really have a choice, if i hung it way off the side i would have to put it on a hinge for storage purposes (and i know the police wouldn't like it on a hinge).

Last edited:
I can't answer all of your questions, but I will pick off the ones I can.

Exhaust should pass as is.

License plate should pass safety, but expect it to raise your heat score significantly (ie. expect to get a ticket for it, many tickets if you don't want to move it to where the cops like [ie. horizontal orientation, plane of plate perpendicular to the ground, located at the very rear of your bike]). Most guys with fender eliminators don't get harassed, but based on your description, I expect your plate will be completely invisible from one side of the bike and only marginally visible from the other.

There are safety checklists available online that tells you what the mechanics are looking for. Your best bet would be to go to someone that knows old/quirky bikes (like Ted at Roseytoes). They will be more likely to work with you than a modern bike shop that will just see your bike for the cool looking safety disaster that it probably is.

construct-45-degree-angle1.jpg
?

I agree with what has been said but will add that a mechanic who is serious about his job and licence will be harder to deal with as by the rules, you do need a) a functioning kill switch b) chain guard c) proper turn signals d) front fender etc.. Actually everything that came with the bike from the factory. I always find it easier to get the bike certed stock, then customize. You might also run into issues with insurance soi be sure to check that out too. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. Its all apart now, i was just getting ready to paint the frame, so i was thinking of any other brackets or mounts that need welding on first. I bought the bike as a basket case so safety before customizing wasn't really possible.

Back
Top Bottom