BRP and Skyline drive is closed | GTAMotorcycle.com

BRP and Skyline drive is closed

MacDoc

Site Supporter
In case you were planning trips.

[T]he government shutdown forced closures of picnic areas and other businesses along the 469-mile parkway. America’s most visited site in the National Park Service draws 15 million people a year and October is one if the busiest months because of the turning of the leaves.

The Pisgah Inn operators, who have a concession contract to run the facility owned by the federal government, initially tried to keep it open. But the park service—out of cash for the fiscal year that began on October 1—gave them until 6 p.m. Thursday, and showed up to lock the entry gates. “They forced us to close,” an Inn employee said, adding they had to kick out some six dozen guests and spent Friday calling dozens more to cancel upcoming overnight reservations.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-all-of-us-and-why-that-doesnt-matter/280311/

yes it sucks. i was in pennsylvania the first day of the shutdown and couldnt figure out why there were so many campers and rv's on the road.
all the parks had the gates down with signs.

You can still ride the BRP, only the concessions are closed. No news on whether the rangers are still ticketing or off work.....

Ah that makes sense tho there are internal gates that could be closed. Worth checking.

News for skyline drive closed?

Chronicle-Telegram
Government shutdown 2013: Shenandoah National Park closed
WJLA ‎- 12 hours ago
The Shenandoah National Park and its most prominent attraction - Skyline Drive - are closed because of the government shutdown.

You can still ride the BRP, only the concessions are closed. No news on whether the rangers are still ticketing or off work.....
That is correct! BRP is open, traffic on Thursday and Friday was minimal, very busy today! I haven't seen one park ranger in three days.....probably a good thing!

All BRP access points are open, haven't seen any closed gates!

Anyone who is going anywhere, that might be effected by the Federal government shutdowns, might want to reconsider. Only those jobs that are being considered 'essential' are still working and even those people aren't necessarily being paid.

Yeah - I've got this lovely tour by road of Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion, Yellowstone, Missoula, Mt. Ranier starting next Monday - can't be shifted - the only thing we can do is reverse the loop and hope it blows over before we get to Ranier via the coastal 101

Yeah - I've got this lovely tour by road of Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion, Yellowstone, Missoula, Mt. Ranier starting next Monday - can't be shifted - the only thing we can do is reverse the loop and hope it blows over before we get to Ranier via the coastal 101

While in the area Beartooth Pass is a must :)

I think that if you're riding your bike you can sneak past the gates and get in. However, I don't think I can recommend it.. I read about how some park rangers still on duty and not ****in around.

I think that if you're riding your bike you can sneak past the gates and get in. However, I don't think I can recommend it.. I read about how some park rangers still on duty and not ****in around.

My understanding is that park rangers are Federal cops, in Federal preserves, and you'd be trespassing if you passed a closed gate. Not a position that I'd want to be in.

Back
Top Bottom