Practical Car vs Fun Car as a second car! - Sub 20k or less! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Practical Car vs Fun Car as a second car! - Sub 20k or less!

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Well the wife's car is on it's last legs so she gets to take over my Elantra Touring (Yay!) and I can buy something different! Question is WTF is there out there that's fun, fairly cheap (let's say sub $20k all in), and has some practicality to it! I was thinking a 4 door car (Mazdaspeed3, Focus, Accent (cheapo), Civic) or something that's a bit more fun but useless in the practical department (back to Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mustang (2011+), FR-S is out because of price :(). Any suggestions out of those or just buy a small compact, frugal car and spend more $ on the bike for next year! I love driving, and do a lot of it so I am starting out the search now. Already driven the Focus, Mazda 3 (not the most recent), and the Elantra GT...they're ok...I looked over the thread about premium vehicles for $15k but I'm not savvy enough mechanically to work on beautiful German cars when they break!

You could always put car and bike wishes together and get a smartuki.

would you consider used? are you ok with a 6 cylinder? Ex. Honda Accord v6 (2 or 4 door)

I would normally not say this but a 2008+ civic si is an ok car for your money. You won't set land speed records with it but as an all around package it's not a bad ride. Now the common sense side of me and people can slam them and argue all day long but personally I'd look at a 4 door gti. They're tons of fun, semi practical, available in stick or auto with dsg. Oh they have something that most north american cars don't too. Build quality. :thumbup:

would you consider used? are you ok with a 6 cylinder? Ex. Honda Accord v6 (2 or 4 door)

I'm only looking at used cars. No point in buying new. Plus the cars on my list would get close to 30k all in with taxes and fees so new is out of the question. My main criteria is that it's a manual. The Accord 2 door is definitely on my list...but hard to come by at less than 20k in the newer body.

I would normally not say this but a 2008+ civic si is an ok car for your money. You won't set land speed records with it but as an all around package it's not a bad ride. Now the common sense side of me and people can slam them and argue all day long but personally I'd look at a 4 door gti. They're tons of fun, semi practical, available in stick or auto with dsg. Oh they have something that most north american cars don't too. Build quality. :thumbup:

I love the German cars...but always been warned 'German bad for repairs blah blah blah' so I've always stayed away from them. It's been ingrained in my head like that....maybe it's the Polski vs German mentality...

Some have had issues for sure. Like anything, keep up on maintenance and you should be ok. My vr6 has been nothing short of perfect it's whole life and it's a 95. Also helps to find a good mechanic who works with Germans that isn't the stealership.

Subaru WRX? Just do your research as they have their quirks. My wife loves it and I enjoy beating on it.

Subaru WRX? Just do your research as they have their quirks. My wife loves it and I enjoy beating on it.

Have always loved the WRX cars, but for the price range I have set I'd be looking too far back in age, and over 100k+ km so I unfortunately can't go the WRX route :(

Have always loved the WRX cars, but for the price range I have set I'd be looking too far back in age, and over 100k+ km so I unfortunately can't go the WRX route :(

We purchased our 08 from a Subaru dealer with 60,000km for under 20k out the door. Took us 3 months to find a good deal but they are out there.

Well the wife's car is on it's last legs so she gets to take over my Elantra Touring (Yay!) and I can buy something different! Question is WTF is there out there that's fun, fairly cheap (let's say sub $20k all in), and has some practicality to it! I was thinking a 4 door car (Mazdaspeed3, Focus, Accent (cheapo), Civic) or something that's a bit more fun but useless in the practical department (back to Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mustang (2011+), FR-S is out because of price :(). Any suggestions out of those or just buy a small compact, frugal car and spend more $ on the bike for next year! I love driving, and do a lot of it so I am starting out the search now. Already driven the Focus, Mazda 3 (not the most recent), and the Elantra GT...they're ok...I looked over the thread about premium vehicles for $15k but I'm not savvy enough mechanically to work on beautiful German cars when they break!

Selling my XRS, handles like a go kart, cheap on insurance, easy on fuel and goes like stink :).
Best and most fun car I've had to date but I need an AWD.
y4uby6e8.jpg
u8yqata7.jpg
vu9apu6u.jpg

I'd choose a practical car. Fun? Thats what the bike is for

Sent from my tablet using my paws

the mazda speed3 is a practical hatchback but 260hp+... its not a focus,civic, accent, etc.

i have a regular 3... i like bikes way more than cars now... even 911s and r8s seem blah to me haha

You can find a RX8 pretty cheap, but having just got rid of mine, I can't recommend. It is lots of fun, but expensive to run and far from trouble free.

I replaced it with a golf TDI. It's quite a switch from the RX8, but still a joy to drive. I've gotten over 1000km on a tank and as good as 4.3L/100km on a long highway journey. I figured my fuel cost to be 1/3 what I burned in the RX8. The only problem would be that high resale value probably puts you over $20K. You'd save on operating costs, so maybe worth it.

Another yay for a Subaru Impreza, just make sure the head gaskets are good or have been replaced ( those cars always with the darn head gaskets!)

Other than that I've had 3 subies, and never had any major issues. Just maintain the car (as with any car)

1st was a 2002 2.5 Impreza wagon
2nd a 2002 WRX wagon
And now I have a '99 2.5rs coupe

2.5 = 87 gas
WRX = 91 gas works but really should use 94
STI = 94 gas

So keep that in mind also.

Also 2006 is THE one Impreza to have for the WRX or STI ( best brakes, diff and looks IMO)

The non turbo has some 'peep' quite torquey if you want cheaper option than the turbo.
Also you can't beat the AWD, Fun cars for sure.

Back
Top Bottom