Reasonable budget for racing costs | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonable budget for racing costs

A race weekend counts as one day. I do an oil change every 2nd day.

Last weekend at SOAR I only did 26 laps so that barely counts. No oil change between rounds 5 and 6.

If you can, buy a van(Econoline/express). I put the bike in my van last season. Slept in the van. Cook at the track, always. At the time I was 22 paying for everything on my own, so I had to do it cheap. Look for used warmers, buy take offs if you have to. Initial investment can be a hard pill to swallow, but I would do it all over again. Racing is the best feeling in the world. I usually get 2 race weekends and a practice day out of my tires. My average has been between $6-700 after everything was said and done.

Get credit cards, have fun, pay all off later. lol

If you're really cheap then just go to the last round of SOAR. You get fed like a KING! That had to have been the best potluck dinner I've ever been too!
Another option for racing is to use Racer5. They'll rent you the bike and get you all set up. You just show up and race. I know a guy thats done it all year and loves it. Just ride and relax. Costs more per session but you don't have any of the big costs either.

Double whatever you think your expenses are right now. With tracking your bike man... nothing ever goes right. You'll need to get new tires, oil changes, brake jobs, ect. It's an expensive hobby bro. Definitely would be cheaper to just pick up a magazine and live through that :p

Honda gets oil change every race.....but it's an endurance race that lasts 3 hrs straight.

Yamaha gets two oil changes per yr. It gets raced in qualifiers and sprints only. No practise days.

Thank for all the replies and discussion guys. Definitely seems like a family from your post omnivore. Im figuring out the most cost effective way to get started, some number crunching involved haha. The 'start-up' costs are obviously the big numbers: bike+trailer+trailer vehicle.

If everything goes to plan, which it doesnt like ahernandez74 said, the actual racing/weekend costs arent so bad. Well relatively speaking.

Anyone who lives in southern ontario that spends winter weekends snowmobiling up north etc, is already accustomed to spending the kind of $ racing costs. Or take a golf/skiing weekend with a chalet rental and nightime partying, and you'd probably spend the same kind of $ racing will cost.

Anyone who lives in southern ontario that spends winter weekends snowmobiling up north etc, is already accustomed to spending the kind of $ racing costs. Or take a golf/skiing weekend with a chalet rental and nightime partying, and you'd probably spend the same kind of $ racing will cost.
Note to self, sell the race bike and go on a Ski weekend drunk partying bender with Omnivore

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom