Reasonable budget for racing costs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonable budget for racing costs

Web

Hi guys!

After going through this sub-forum I couldn't find any threads or sticky's relating to costs. If there is one apologies in advance...If there isn't one I'm sure this thread may be helpful to others.

I am trying to get a budget going for 2014 and wanted to get a realistic number. Apart from the cost of the bike, I wanted to know about the other costs involved. So far this is what Ive come up with using 2013 prices:

SOAR Racing License application: $152.55
SOAR pre-registration for 5 races: $339
Friday practice: $141.25
Racer5 Stage 1 : $379.99
Racer5 Stage 2 with racing license : $399.99 / SOAR racing school: $169.50

Subtotal: $1412.78 / $1182

Have I got this right? Am I missing anything?
Are there fees that you have to pay at the track as well or is that included in the pre-registration for 5 races? What if I preregister for 1 but would like to do more? Or register for 5 and can only do 1?

What are your experiences? Can I get started for a lot less or am I close? Thanks a lot

Cant comment on R5 fees but you either need a SOAR school or the R5 license package not both. If you do the R5 license package it comes with that years license.
With races 5 is a pretty ambitious start not many run that many over a weekend. If you preregister you can do as many or as few as you want . You can add races at the track but the costs are a bit higher. Generally said its better to just know what direction your headed and just enter those.
BTW welcome to the insanity :)

Cant comment on R5 fees but you either need a SOAR school or the R5 license package not both. If you do the R5 license package it comes with that years license.
With races 5 is a pretty ambitious start not many run that many over a weekend. If you preregister you can do as many or as few as you want . You can add races at the track but the costs are a bit higher. Generally said its better to just know what direction your headed and just enter those.
BTW welcome to the insanity :)

Thanks for the response!

If I understand you correctly, those 5 races are over one single weekend? I thought the 5 was over the season?

So the minimal I have to spend to get started would be: 152 (racing application) + 169 (racing school) + 118.65( one race) = $439

Seems like you replied just as I was typing. Is this $600-$700 including all your costs? Gas, tires and food like Azin mentioned?

Ya. But I am apparently some sort of magician and I'm able to do it for less than most.

Counting food is a bit funny because you'd still be eating if you weren't at a race weekend. Food for the races might actually be cheaper than a weekend away from the track for some of us! haha...

Counting food is a bit funny because you'd still be eating if you weren't at a race weekend. Food for the races might actually be cheaper than a weekend away from the track for some of us! haha...

Some people order out more than most. I don't include food because I BBQ or grill everything there, some people go out for breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday.

It's just a round number that will allow for a set of tires, entry fees, food, and fuel (bike and tow vehicle). If you don't use a set of tires then less, use race fuel it's more, crash or have a mechanical you may have to bend over, miss a few rounds or sell a kidney but this will get you in the ballpark.

I think I was closer to the $6-700 range this season on the 600 with pump fuel. One race weekend I spent a $100 a lap.

Would you guys recommend that I first do a few track days.. then race school then join? Maybe do track days for the first year?

Come by this weekend and spectate.

Everyone is friendly, get an idea of what's going on.

As for budget, reasonable to one racer is foolish to another.

Thanks for the response!

If I understand you correctly, those 5 races are over one single weekend? I thought the 5 was over the season?

So the minimal I have to spend to get started would be: 152 (racing application) + 169 (racing school) + 118.65( one race) = $439

There are 6 rounds over the course of the season. If you're chasing a championship, (i.e. Rookie) you should do all six rounds of the same class. Some people go after multiple championships, so they try to do all rounds of those classes.

Also, don't forget your gear. You'll need a helmet that's rated SNELL 10M, SNELL 2010M, BSI 6658 Type A or ECE 2205 with a factory manufacturer date of 6 years or less. I would also buy a good back protector.

Some other stuff would be tire warmers and a generator.

I know it can be a big investment at first, but it's worth it! :)

every round I need new tires, so...
$500.00
friday trackday $150
race weekend $150
full jug of race fuel $90
oil change/filter $90
bbq food all weekend/beer blah blah $150
gas too and from $140

give or take 12-$1300 per round for me. im around 8000 per year without trackdays (And I did 15 trackdays this year lol)

There are 6 rounds over the course of the season. If you're chasing a championship, (i.e. Rookie) you should do all six rounds of the same class. Some people go after multiple championships, so they try to do all rounds of those classes.

Also, don't forget your gear. You'll need a helmet that's rated SNELL 10M, SNELL 2010M, BSI 6658 Type A or ECE 2205 with a factory manufacturer date of 6 years or less. I would also buy a good back protector.

Some other stuff would be tire warmers and a generator.

I know it can be a big investment at first, but it's worth it! :)

That makes sense, thanks. So I could do one race per championship and a few championships per weekend.

Come by this weekend and spectate.

Everyone is friendly, get an idea of what's going on.

Thats a great idea. Will try and make it this weekend. At this point im thinking I should do track days next year, maybe join one race at the end of the season.

every round I need new tires, so...
$500.00
friday trackday $150
race weekend $150
full jug of race fuel $90
oil change/filter $90
bbq food all weekend/beer blah blah $150
gas too and from $140

give or take 12-$1300 per round for me. im around 8000 per year without trackdays (And I did 15 trackdays this year lol)

wow.. haha.. would your budget be to race at the front? If I just wanted to race for the fun of it, not win a championship, just race maybe at the back end, would it be much less?

Back
Top Bottom