anybody noobs still learning? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anybody noobs still learning?

Kuro

Site Supporter
I've got in a few more lots sessions and I'm starting to consistently be able to pop the front up a few feet. I'm not launching from 20-30km/h, I'm starting from about 3km/h popping up. About 80% of the time its only like 2 feet, sometimes I'll hit about 3?

I've learned a few things that I found aren't really covered all too often.
- clutch play
I'm always concerned about wearing down my clutch plates and when I couldn't get it up, I knew I was burning the clutch more than I wanted. For some reason, I didnt think about it earlier but I adjusted the clutch play so that theres very little. Meaning that if I pulled the clutch all the way in, almost as soon as I let go a little, the clutch would bite.

- clutch fingers
I was always trying to clutch up using 2 fingers. I've read for some its easier with 2 fingers, some with one. I found it easier with one. The strain is a bit more on your hand but its easier to pop the clutch faster. I also have the RSC stunt clutch, medium length. As a result, I had to move my hand more to the outside of the clipon.

Maybe all this is common knowledge but it wasnt for me and it helped. Just thought I'd share my experience.

But anyway so far they're all sit downs....
I'm trying to learn staggered stand up but its soooo akward and uncomfortable. I can't even get the front wheel off the ground doing a staggered.

Anyone have any tips? And how have your experiences been like learning?

Newbs have it easy, ex pull, heck even pazzo levers didn't exist when I learned to clutch wheelie. Stock lever is where it was at back then...

Most of the things you mention are preference, so it's good that you found what works for you. However they may not work for others that's why you have to find out what works for you. Free play 50% of the people I know like the least amount of free play possible like myself, others like it to grab as soon as the lever leaves the bar. Usually it seems to change a lot between groups of riders or friends, most of the people I ride with have very similar and in some cases because I set a lot of them up for people the same setup. Go ride with other people and their setup is totally different.

As for tips just keep at it, if anything more gas! If it's only coming up 2-3 feet it wants more yut to get the ughhh

Newbs have it easy, ex pull, heck even pazzo levers didn't exist when I learned to clutch wheelie. Stock lever is where it was at back then...

Most of the things you mention are preference, so it's good that you found what works for you. However they may not work for others that's why you have to find out what works for you. Free play 50% of the people I know like the least amount of free play possible like myself, others like it to grab as soon as the lever leaves the bar. Usually it seems to change a lot between groups of riders or friends, most of the people I ride with have very similar and in some cases because I set a lot of them up for people the same setup. Go ride with other people and their setup is totally different.

As for tips just keep at it, if anything more gas! If it's only coming up 2-3 feet it wants more yut to get the ughhh

:lmao:

You just want to YUT UGHHH , just say that and the bike will come right up....Repeat YUT UGHHHH

But seriously lol, just take it easy and slowly progress. The more you do it, the more you'll be comfortable with the front wheel coming off the ground. I'm no pro or stunter, theirs soo many better riders on here to give you advice but I can manage to get my wheel up to balance point and sit there feathering the throttle. I can do both sitdown and staggered, I just started learning staggered and like you it was extremely uncomfortable at first but the more I did it the more I got use to it. Now that's all I do because the balance point is much lower and I like being able to see over the bike instead of at the side when doing a sitdown.

But seriously lol, just take it easy and slowly progress. The more you do it, the more you'll be comfortable with the front wheel coming off the ground. I'm no pro or stunter, theirs soo many better riders on here to give you advice but I can manage to get my wheel up to balance point and sit there feathering the throttle. I can do both sitdown and staggered, I just started learning staggered and like you it was extremely uncomfortable at first but the more I did it the more I got use to it. Now that's all I do because the balance point is much lower and I like being able to see over the bike instead of at the side when doing a sitdown.

Sitdowns feel most natural for most people at first, but after you get the hang of standups and seats standers, sitdowns are actually the hardest to do IMO....I can wheelie way longer standing up then sit down, and its much harder to steer sitdowns or do sitdown circles....

This is what I was looking for.... lol I'm not the only one who has trouble with staggered. I feel its easier to bail if I'm standing.
Are you in first gear on the staggered stance? Or 2nd?

I'm no where near steering it yet. tbh I'll be happy if I can hit 12

Nope, forget first gear balance point wheelies on my DRZ. I mean I can do them but I don't like to as it's very jerky, I leave that to the pro's:p. Yes, I did have trouble doing stagger when I tried it the first ti....100 trys. It feels soo weird when you first do it but after a while it'll feel natural just like sitdowns feel natural for you right now. Johny is right, stand ups are much more controllable and the balance point is much lower. If you get to 12 O'clock doing a standup, the bike will just naturally go wherever you want. Sit downs I do second gear most times and just sit at the balance point, sometimes I can go forever but if the road has a lot of bumps I tend to go all over the balance point and eventually run out of RPM...Or I just shift into third. Staggered, I wheelie in third, not sure why but it just comes up soo easy and smooth. The only thing I don't like about staggered is I find sitting down I can play with the balance point more and always have control with the rear brake. Well sitting down, I can slowly bring it past balance point and use my rear brake. With staggered, I cover my rear brake but I guess because the balance point isn't as nearly high I don't ever go to far back.

Did you find stock forks worked fine or did you upgrade them?
my concern with my bike is the age of the forks + springs. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade them for safety sake rather than risk bursting them on my way down.

Is it any easier on a DRZ?

Well I was just getting at that the DRZ SM has inverted forks. Is it any easier to wheelie? Meh, technique is still the same but if you loop on an SM you can pick it right back and keep on going (99% time). If you loop on a sportbike, Ahhhh....bad so it's a lot more risky to do. My old bike (sport bike) I didn't find it any harder to wheelie, it just weighed a little more but once you're at balance point its all the same.

pm if you want to meet up and try to stunt around.
Let's have a meet. I'd like to get some pointers. I'm in Kitchener but willing to meet up still.
Anyone else is down?

Hopefully picking up fully stunt ready F4i this weekend. If weather holds up gonna get some lot time in before it snows.

I'd like to but I'm not a fan of riding in the cold and it's only going to get colder <.</

I picked up the bike and out practicing on lots

Back
Top Bottom