To report a collision or not? | GTAMotorcycle.com

To report a collision or not?

sunny_pines

I had a minor collision, and the other driver already reported it to the collision centre. Now the police are calling me asking to come in and file my own report as well. The only information I gave to the driver is name, phone number and plate number. There is virtually no damage from my side, and according to fault determination rules I know of, it should be not my fault. I won't be filing any claims with regards to this, as I have no damage to fix.

Is there any benefit to me to just not bother with the whole report, or is it likely that they already linked this collision to my VIN (via the plate number, the driver did not record my VIN explicitly)? Will such report show up to potential buyers in a UVIP if I decide to sell my bike in the future? While I should not be at fault based on what I know, I just don't want to risk them fudging it up. Never had a collision before and never had to report anything so just don't know how these things work.

If its not your fault then why not make a report?
I'm shocked someone is at fault & report to police

If you ignore going to the collision center you could maybe be charged with hit and run or not reporting a collision or something along those lines

The actual charge is "fail to report"; by law, you have to report a collision regardless of who is at fault, paying for damage, etc. I know plenty of people agree not to report minor collisions, but the law is clear on this.

The actual charge is "fail to report"; by law, you have to report a collision regardless of who is at fault, paying for damage, etc. I know plenty of people agree not to report minor collisions, but the law is clear on this.

Only if the total damage between all vehicles is over $1000.

to repaint a bumper is around $1000 from a legit bodyshop.

Yes to sand and repaint the whole bumper, But a minor scratches could easily be blended in for around $300

Don't you think this would have been the question to pose to the police officer who called you and asked you to come in and file a report?

Generally speaking, if cops call my house and tell me to do something, I'd probably do it...especially when I'm not at fault (allegedly) in this scenario.

You have a legal responsibility to report, with penalties for not doing so. Also consider that if you don't report, you're subject to whatever the other driver says. Once he has done so, not reporting makes you look to be at fault, also.

*EDIT* Police may also be looking to get your insurance details, as you don't say that you gave that information to the other driver as you are legally required to do.

Only if the total damage between all vehicles is over $1000.

These days that equates to replacing a cracked plastic bumper shroud.

Last edited:
Again Rob is 100% correct, you have a legal obligation to report the collision at this point, as the other party has reported it. As for fault determination that is determined by the insurance adjuster/company. The police may/may not lay a charge, but that isn't what the insurance uses to determine fault.

I also find it incredulous that, (according to you), the other driver is "at fault" and yet they choose to go to police to report the collision. This makes little or no sense as their premiums would increase if they are deemed at fault. Also remember the insurance companies, very rarely, assess 100% fault to only one party. Now being charged with fail to report, could also have a significant impact upon your premiums. That will be seen by your insurance company when they look at your drivers abstract.

If its not your fault then why not make a report?
I'm shocked someone is at fault & report to police

Let's consider that the guy who went to the collision centre is trying to do two things:

One, the right thing (or maybe he just assumed that, since he is at fault, so the other driver would go to file a report asap),

and two, maybe his car did get damaged and needs to fix it, and the only way it to go through insurance. Even if that means he has to pay the deductible (maybe he has no deductible).

Also, he may have accident forgiveness, so he has resigned himself to report the accident.

Also remember the insurance companies, very rarely, assess 100% fault to only one party.

That is not true. They usually put fault where it is due according to their charts. The only times they don't give fault to one driver is when it is not clear what exactly happened (Drifting out of your lane, as it is hard to prove who drifted with no witnesses) and the blame should not be 100% on one driver (4 way stop and both people go)

Let's consider that the guy who went to the collision centre is trying to do two things:

One, the right thing (or maybe he just assumed that, since he is at fault, so the other driver would go to file a report asap),

and two, maybe his car did get damaged and needs to fix it, and the only way it to go through insurance. Even if that means he has to pay the deductible (maybe he has no deductible).

Also, he may have accident forgiveness, so he has resigned himself to report the accident.

Or 3: He isn't at fault, you have only heard one very small side of the story.

Again Rob is 100% correct, you have a legal obligation to report the collision at this point, as the other party has reported it. As for fault determination that is determined by the insurance adjuster/company. The police may/may not lay a charge, but that isn't what the insurance uses to determine fault.

I also find it incredulous that, (according to you), the other driver is "at fault" and yet they choose to go to police to report the collision. This makes little or no sense as their premiums would increase if they are deemed at fault. Also remember the insurance companies, very rarely, assess 100% fault to only one party. Now being charged with fail to report, could also have a significant impact upon your premiums. That will be seen by your insurance company when they look at your drivers abstract.

What a strange comment!
So, you are saying that if you are at fault and DON'T report it to the collision centre, your premiums will not increase?
I don't think so.

Sir, if you are at fault, you better go and report it, because the other party (not at fault) will for sure file a report. The insurance company will know anyway...

Last edited:
What a strange comment!
So, you are saying that if you are at fault and DON'T report it to the collision centre, your premiums will not increase?
I don't think so.

Sir, if you are at fault, you better go and report it, because the other party (not at fault) will for sure file a report. The insurance company will know anyway...

Well yes that is exactly what I am saying how can an insurance co increase your premiums, (for an accident), which has never been reported??? If neither driver reports the accident and settle the damages, amongst themselves, without involving police, or insurance, then their premiums would NOT increase. Feel free to explain how premiums will increase for "no accident history", (other than of course the regular increase in premiums at renewal).

Well yes that is exactly what I am saying how can an insurance co increase your premiums, (for an accident), which has never been reported??? If neither driver reports the accident and settle the damages, amongst themselves, without involving police, or insurance, then their premiums would NOT increase. Feel free to explain how premiums will increase for "no accident history", (other than of course the regular increase in premiums at renewal).

OK, so we are talking about the same thing.

If no one is going to report the accident, there will be no history of a claim.
But as long as one party reports the accident to his insurance co., then the claim process gets started... fault determination... etc.

Or 3: He isn't at fault, you have only heard one very small side of the story.
You beat me to it. OP is probably only telling a piece of the story

I got deemed not at fault for my accident (0% wooo!)
Other driver is the one that called the cops and reported it first. Then again, he probably thought he wouldn't be at fault (even after pulling out in front of me and telling both me and police officer that he did not see me.)

Or maybe he just couldn't afford to replace his whole back quarter panel which is now caved in.

The thing that sucks about reporting collisions is that it's a waste of two hours just waiting your turn, plus whatever time you spend getting to the reporting centre and back. Maybe if you come at 11pm they'd be less busy, but if it's daylight - it's a line up that moves pretty slowly. I'm guessing the other driver needed the report for insurance purposes, because I don't see why anyone would go through that hassle for no practical reason.

You will have to go in and make your statement, but do not report it to your insurance. when they say they will send it to them thats a lie. someone claimed i "hit" them and pushed them forward into another car, they then tried to get me to pay them cash...i didnt. about a week later police called and i went and told my side. there is some sketchy "report" under my license number but doesnt affect insurance. his insuranced called me...bla bla bla, they asked me to accept half the fault. I said no you cant prove i hit him...blablabla, would you be will to go to court? i say yes no problem and i never hear from them again.
they tried to get me to say i was at fault so they would have something.

statefarm told me to call the people who deal with your drivers record...i had it removed.

its a long story. tried to get the important stuff across, forgive me if it confusing.

Back
Top Bottom