Reverse Screaming Alien gearing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reverse Screaming Alien gearing?

doozerdave

Site Supporter
Hello racers! Yesterday I did the Reverse Screaming Alien layout for the first time and was wondering about gearing. On my zx6r I was in 3rd for the whole lap except for 4th on the back straight. I could have gone for 4th in the dog leg if I had more confidence there. I was lapping in the 1:09's but didn't feel I was getting the most from my bike. I was only shifting twice per lap! How are you guys gearing your 600's for that layout? What are you shift points? I'm struggling to get used to the wide rev range of my new bike.

Thanks for any tips!

Hello racers! Yesterday I did the Reverse Screaming Alien layout for the first time and was wondering about gearing. On my zx6r I was in 3rd for the whole lap except for 4th on the back straight. I could have gone for 4th in the dog leg if I had more confidence there. I was lapping in the 1:09's but didn't feel I was getting the most from my bike. I was only shifting twice per lap! How are you guys gearing your 600's for that layout? What are you shift points? I'm struggling to get used to the wide rev range of my new bike.

Thanks for any tips!
I got +2 rear and -1 one front and that is what I use at Grand Bend for all configurations and it seems to work... I believe. I can check once i get home.

I got +2 rear and -1 one front and that is what I use at Grand Bend for all configurations and it seems to work... I believe. I can check once i get home.

-1/+5 for me

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I'm running -1/+3, so Kellen's gearing will likely be where I end up. I didn't mention my final drive gearing because it's somewhat bike specific. I focused on shifting and gears used to get a better idea. That's still bike specific too, but might make more sense.

So are you guys using 3rd 4th and 5th on 600's?

Thanks

I'm running -1/+3, so Kellen's gearing will likely be where I end up. I didn't mention my final drive gearing because it's somewhat bike specific. I focused on shifting and gears used to get a better idea. That's still bike specific too, but might make more sense.

So are you guys using 3rd 4th and 5th on 600's?

Thanks

I get into 5th on the straight

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Cool, thanks. As my bike is now I did hit rev limit in 4th a few times but barely before I had to brake.

Correction +3 / -1

I am also up in 5th in the back straight

Last edited:
Really? For how long? I must need to get some more bravery and a better drive out of the carousel...
Sorry, I forgot we were talking specifically of reverse alien, 3rd flat out of the carousel and 4th for not very long.

Any other configuration its 5th on the back straight

I took my zx6r for a shake down on thrusday and found the same thing. I wasnt pushing it by any means but being lazy I could stay in 3rd easy.

Mostly 2nd for me and my old 600. 3rd through the Carousel up to 4th before turn 3? on the reverse config.

Will check my gearing tonight, but your new bike Dave probably has way more jam down low than mine.

I am the same as Jay......3rd thru carouselle, up to 4th on back straight...two downshifts for left hander...sometimes I can grab another upshift and downshift before the next right...othertimes I just run into the rev limiter in 2nd...leave it in 2nd till the start/finish straight.

I'm shifting in the same spots on my superbike. The chute after the back straight is long enough that I think a 600 rider should be grabbing a gear there.

I'm shifting in the same spots on my superbike. The chute after the back straight is long enough that I think a 600 rider should be grabbing a gear there.

I thought so too. With all the forward layouts my gearing seems to be pretty good.

What were the fast 600 lap times yesterday?

I thought so too. With all the forward layouts my gearing seems to be pretty good.

I dont think there was a beacon up yesterday. I was doing 1:05s on Thursday, I doubt the 600s are really much slower on that configuration. Maybe I got down to 1:04s yesterday?? Or 1:03s??

I can watch my onboard and use a stopwatch to get a decent estimate.

Yesterday it was a mixed bag for weather, rain on and off, some races dry, some races wet....fairly chilly as well. Compared to the weather on Thursday it wouldn't really give you an accurate comparision for times.

I dont think there was a beacon up yesterday. I was doing 1:05s on Thursday, I doubt the 600s are really much slower on that configuration. Maybe I got down to 1:04s yesterday?? Or 1:03s??

I can watch my onboard and use a stopwatch to get a decent estimate.

That's how I estimated my times too, just from video. Sounds like I have some work to do before I go Expert. Maybe being a Novice would be a good first step. LOL

Yesterday it was a mixed bag for weather, rain on and off, some races dry, some races wet....fairly chilly as well. Compared to the weather on Thursday it wouldn't really give you an accurate comparision for times.

Yeah, just looking for ball park. It was my first time running it backwards and have no idea what a good time would be. I felt good, but also knew I could be faster in a few spots.

Back
Top Bottom