2 Days in PA on a Ducati 748 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 Days in PA on a Ducati 748

Must have a suspicious face ;-)

Yeah just going for a ride i PA.

I've only been searched once and that was 100% a random thing and it's extremely thorough . Make sure you get ForeverMap and downland Canada, NY and Pennsylvania.
It's your fall back to work with your paper maps.

I don't know about iPhones but if you have an android phone there is a free ap called Navfree which has offline maps and works without data if you download the maps beforehand. For blackberry there is an ap called Osmand which has offline maps, also free. Portable GPS units are pretty much obsolete.

He has an iPhone. NavFree on the iPhone I found clunky compared to Forever Map but they may have updated it.

Reviews show it still with some issues but might be worth a look now. It's only free with ads and then there are addons.

Decided on this route
http://goo.gl/maps/i9z3O
Take QEW to Lewiston...try out my spiffy new Nexus card
across 104 along the Niagara Escarpment to Brock port - nice lazy road with good views

Turn south to Mount Morris for lunch or brunch in Letchworth State Park
Ride through the Park and eat at the south end
then 19 and 449 down to 6 - decide from there.
Likely let the TomTom Winding roads loose after lunch see where it takes me :D

Wellsboro as a nominal destination.
Anyone with tips for places to stay there.....cheeeeeap with wifi

Hey MacDoc,

Heading to Kane and riding around the area.

I bet you a buck we'll see each other on route :)

Decided on this route
across 104 along the Niagara Escarpment to Brock port - nice lazy road with good views

I hope you are bundled up - that was a cold ride - bit of rain heading out.
Great brunch Eggs Benedict at Letchworth
Taking a break a Pauls motel for gas and wifi
holing up at State College Nittany Budget Motel 64 a night that'll do

Hope your ride was okay.

HAd fun coming this way and not that much further than via Buffalo - fewer towns and better food. :D

MacDoc, you're making want to get a sport touring bike with all these great PA posts! I'd never ventured there on my SS before I sold it!

Decided on this route

+1 on the 449.
For me, it's probably one of the most enjoyable roads on the way down to the 144/Wykoff/125 etc.

Cheers,

Rob

What do you guys say at the border, just that you're going for a ride around PA and they let you in? Ever been refused entry? Every time I cross into the US I always tell them the exact address I'm visiting, and even then they search my car about half the time.

lol, I just tell them I'm going for a ride and my general route gonna run 44 etc, if they ask why I tell them the truth, they have great roads down there.

MacDoc, got in a couple of hours ago. Great trip. 100 percent on stopping for fuel even when you don't need it. I had a tense period when my fuel light came on and I was in the middle of the forest. All around me empty cabins and not a sign of life. Rolled into a gas station and topped up an empty tank just in time - at one point I was actually doing the math on how I was going to stay warm through the night in the middle of the forest.

I still need to figure out a decent navigation solution. GPS is far from perfect and so is paper. My ethos for the trip (I said this to trucker when he stopped to enquire while I was taking a break on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere): "You lost?" he asked. Me: "Nope, not lost, just don't know where I am and I'm good with that".

Other highlights: stayed in a mansion built in the 1860's and had the entire place entirely to myself. The owner was gone and there were no guests. 18,000 square feet or big old creaky house with lots of pictures of dead people on the walls. If I were superstitious... And a deal at $75 a night

Cool - I just blew in 30 minutes ago. 2100 fine KM.
more later.

You would not want to stay the night - really cold and lots of bears. :D

Other highlights: stayed in a mansion built in the 1860's and had the entire place entirely to myself. The owner was gone and there were no guests. 18,000 square feet or big old creaky house with lots of pictures of dead people on the walls. If I were superstitious... And a deal at $75 a night

Wow! That sounds great! Where is this place?

Back
Top Bottom