2 Days in PA on a Ducati 748 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 Days in PA on a Ducati 748

luis691

Here's my plan. This is the first time I'm going this far/this long on the Ducati 748. I expect about 4 to 5 hours in the saddle to be my limit (pain threshold) with lot's of breaks to fill up the 17 litre tank.

Leave GTA this Sunday early morning. Ride the 219 all the way into Kane, PA. Call it a day and stay at the Kane Manor or Motel.

Monday morning: check out Kinzua Bridge, HWY 666 and Kinzua Dam and any other roads you might recommend (looking for about a 3 hour stint in the twisties)

Tuesday: leave first thing in the morning back to GTA

My objective is to ride some great roads and I have the 2 days to spare. Any other recommendations on rides would be appreciated.

My riding has been mostly limited to lot's of Sunday's on Forks, Snake, Hockley Valley etc.

Dont sell yourself short. Took the same route then cut accross and made it to lock haven. Four of us with lots of breaks. Left Oakville 9 am. Riding in Ontario is tiring because your on edge. Once you cross the border it's like a weight has lifted off your shoulders. Pack real light for one night. You really don't need anything.
Stayed at best western in lock haven. Newly renovated. $88

What he said.
There is a natural break at the border

Then a stop for lunch somewhere.....voila you are there.
Take a break then a couple hours on 144 or some such.

Thanks MacDoc. For this first time I prefer riding solo, that way I can set the pace and not feel pressure to go faster or to ride slower.

219 is a great road but think of it more like the Hwy 7 of PA. There are better roads like 44, 144, etc although 219 is still better than most of what you'll find in Ontario.

Have a great trip.

No problem - I'm in tourist and photo mode - got enough of rowdie with the kid last time - your call

I was glad I had some one along first time but may see you down there anyway.
Whatever you do - that loop covers several of the top riding roads including Wykoff.

Those loops look amazing. Saved them - if I don't cover all of them now I soon will. Thank you.

No problem - I'm in tourist and photo mode - got enough of rowdie with the kid last time - your call

I was glad I had some one along first time but may see you down there anyway.
Whatever you do - that loop covers several of the top riding roads including Wykoff.

What are you navigating with??
You can count on little or no cell reception in many areas.
You should have CAA Plus and make sure some sort of health coverage ( most credit cards have some )
Let someone know your route if you are travelling solo.
There are lots of friendly people there but if you get caught with a flat in the middle of nowhere someone should know where you might be.

Keep your gas topped up especially on Sunday as many small places are closed and not every town has gas.
We usually top up when we've used half a tank or whenever we coming across gas and we're down a a bit.

Mind the critters - it's usually morning and evening but deer and bear will cross the road anytime.

If you are touristing the Elk Sanctuary is cool and on a decent road.
Kinzua Bridge is too cool....off 6.

At this point I'm heading out Sunday looks to be single digits in Buffalo so PA will be colder....bring layers. When I leave depends on my cold tolerance tho I have good gear and protection and heated grips.

Have fun.
Not sure where I'm staying yet.....maybe somewhere further south and east a bit this time.
Coudersport is my usual spot but more flexible this time.

Here - Burgman 650 Exec - moms soccer van of motorcycles. Grocery shopping or across the continent ..does it all with loads of storage and fun in the twists. :D
Think I'll be glad of the heated grips and upfront protection Sunday morning.

Australia ST1100 and KLR650

NeradaTeaandbikes_zpseff3d639.jpg

It's very disconcerting at times as my riding partner in Aus rides the same bike as I do here - right down to year and colour so when I come out of the diner in Aus like here it gets confusing as to which one to get on. ;)

The ST1100 does not weight much more and has the same storage but twice the HP and more top heavy....have not quite made friends with it yet.

and here...nice upfront protection and great lights as I love riding at night

Burgman-front.jpg

Last edited:
What are you navigating with??

Just using printouts from Google Maps in a tank bag map sleeve, and if I get mixed up an iPhone to tell me where I am.

I went and picked up a TomTom GPS the other day for about $150. I was surprised by it's lack of capability to let me plan custom routes. It seemed fine for point to point navigation but that was about it. Ended up returning it. After some research it looks like a decent GPS that will do what I'd like runs $500 to $700. Not in the cards this week.

You have all you need with the iPhone.

Glad you returned the TomTom

First - the iPhone will not tell you where you are without a data connection unless you have offline maps. And network service is sketchy and expensive in PA.

Download ForeverMaps for the iPhone - and then download the maps you need. Peanuts cost if any.

If you want better then TomTom for the iPhone is pretty good and again does not need data connection but you need to download the maps for where you are going.
Best treat on TomTom tho is the Winding Roads feature which will take you the most winding route it can find.....had lots of fun with that feature $49 for the app and no network needed.

All MacDonalds have WIFI in the states.
The problem with printed maps you have to know where you are and it's tricky in the good riding areas as nothing is in a straight line.

The pics don't show as idjits at Photobucket are off line for the moment.
the whole 2 year aus blog is here

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?151439-Down-Under-on-a-KLR-650-second-season

some fun things

up close and personal with salties...

damn host
well they are up here anyways
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...9-Down-Under-on-a-KLR-650-second-season/page8

If you want to mount the iphone cheaply - this is good

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-20%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252020%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25209.39.48%2520PM.jpg

can go on either bar - for naked bar just a foam cylinder tho your tank bag might be just as good.

TomTom gives you turn by turn audio as well ....are you you using earphones?

Last edited:
TomTom gives you turn by turn audio as well ....are you you using earphones?

Not on this trip - If I had a GPS I would wear them. A proper GPS would be great. I'll do some research when I'm back. If the touring bug strikes I may have to reassess my choice of bike amongst other things.

But you have a GPS - your iPhone -
MotionXDrive is superb with a network and TomTom app for the iPhone and you are set to go now.

and I reallllly recommend it down there.

You have an excellent bike for PA....

Not so much for longer rides perhaps.

MacDoc,

which GPS solution do you feel is better: the iPhone MotionX Drive or TomTom app. Big price difference between the two.

But you have a GPS - your iPhone -
MotionXDrive is superb with a network and TomTom app for the iPhone and you are set to go now.

and I reallllly recommend it down there.

You have an excellent bike for PA....

Not so much for longer rides perhaps.

Id suggest getting a stand alone GPS - In case something happens to that - use your phone.

I've been using a old lovely garmin 2730 for yrs, plus I have my iphone that i use with free wifi.....

LOVE PA....they finally opened that bridge, so you can walk

MotionXDrive is the better app IF you have a data connection. ANd bear in mind the voice nav is $10 a year whereas TomTom is included.

But TomTom does not need data for voice nav and it does have Winding Roads which no other app has.

Hey you were about to fork out $150 for a dedicated TomTom - get the app.

You want to have ForeverMap as well - it's the fall back app for out of cell areas but you MUST download the states you need before you go.

Looking good for tomorrow

I'm definitely going by way of Letchworth State Park and then likely get some place around Wellsborough

http://goo.gl/maps/HjeeK

Likely hook up with this route at some point

Hmm looking at it Ridge Road follows the Escarpment for a long ways so will be pretty and its got lots of indigene lands along the way.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1391/New-York/Route-19---Brockport-to-Wellsville.html

Shorter slab then easy empty ride to Letchworth - have some food at the south end then head over to Wellsborough or if time allows maybe Williamsport - have to check both for interesting places.
That lets me head east to the Catskills or wander PA again. Looking to give the TomTom Winding Roads a workout :D.

What do you guys say at the border, just that you're going for a ride around PA and they let you in? Ever been refused entry? Every time I cross into the US I always tell them the exact address I'm visiting, and even then they search my car about half the time.

Back
Top Bottom