Next Bike - Narrowed it down but would like opnions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Next Bike - Narrowed it down but would like opnions

Just curious why a Goldwing didn't end up on the list? I wanted to do longer trips with the squeeze so I bought an 86 wing. Like you I'm not a big guy (5'6" 145lbs) and also have a limited budget.

The wing is no sports bike but it not the heavy pig I expected either. The boxer motor and gas under your bum keeps the c of g down low. Tons of locking storage space.

And last of all this is a litre bike with another 20% on top. It is not a slouch by any stretch if you're willing to twist the throttle.

Since getting it 3 years ago we've done four trips of a week or longer. Just throwing this out as another option.....

Just curious why a Goldwing didn't end up on the list? I wanted to do longer trips with the squeeze so I bought an 86 wing. Like you I'm not a big guy (5'6" 145lbs) and also have a limited budget.

The wing is no sports bike but it not the heavy pig I expected either. The boxer motor and gas under your bum keeps the c of g down low. Tons of locking storage space.

And last of all this is a litre bike with another 20% on top. It is not a slouch by any stretch if you're willing to twist the throttle.

Since getting it 3 years ago we've done four trips of a week or longer. Just throwing this out as another option.....

I myself havent considered goldwing but it did popped up in my mind. :)
Older bikes like the 95 CB1000 will also be cheap on insurance, but will take more effort to fit luggages.

Just to chip in:

I occasionally ride with my wife. I used to have a Bandit 600 (very similar to the Kat, but with a custom seat) and moved on to a VFR800 with a Corbin seat. Mine's a 2000 model.

The VFR is pretty good 2-up, but not for days on end. My wife likes the stance and finds it comfortable, but I find I'm a little too far leaned-over so the weight started to affect me. However, in this regard, it's really no worse than the Bandit was, so if you find your Kat adequately comfortable you'd probably find a VFR in line. For multi-day, high-mileage 2-up days I'd look more at an ST1300, FJR1300 or an old Wing.

The VFR is about the same weight as a Kat/Bandit, but I find it carries the weight much lower so it's friendlier at low speed. I love the torque and noise, and overall feel it's a better put-together motorbike.

I think that with any bike, you'd want to go with an aftermarket seat... or maybe I'm spoiled with my bike's Corbin? I tried an ST1300 recently and although I really liked it, I'd totally upgrade the seat. Lots of used VFR's and other sport-touring rides are being sold with aftermarket seats.

I'd also consider a BMW R1100RT, R1150RT or R1200RT. I'd like to try one at some point.

Some of the 'premium' sport tourers have adjustable seat heights, or you can buy special lower or higher seats. I think the BMW RT's do this. This might interest you and allow you to fit on a larger bike.

Last edited:
Want to add that honds CBF1000 insurance rate for me was the same with the bandit 650. and it has 3 height adjustable seat and windshield.

I currently ride a Katana 600. Its a great bike but as my wife and I want to go on longer trips and see more on Canada on the bike I am finding its just not up to doing what I need for 2 up (Luggage is mainly and issue). I also has a little project 400 GS that i will use as a run around.

Plus I think I am ready for something a bit bigger.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices that i have split into 2 categories. No specific years have been chosen but i think i will go with newer used

Luxury touring - I love the look and the comfort level that these bikes provide. The luggage and storage options are great with room for lots of fancy gadgets. The trouble with them is that I am thinking as a small guy these might not be the best bikes for me to try and keep up. The Concours even among the fans is known to be top heavy at slow speeds

Honda ST1300

Kawasaki Concours

Touring (adventure) - These seem to be a little less Comfort but have great after market support for luggage and can be found used fully decked out for a fair price. Both seem to be a bit more friendly to doing your own work on them as well. These man also be a little cheaper on insurance due to the slightly lower CC

Bandit 1250 (1200)

Vstrom 1000

I think all these bikes will make a good choice for a long distance 2 Uper. With a slight edge going to the smaller Suzuki’s that I won’t be an intimidated by for taking on solo or shorter rides. What's everyone's opinion on these choices and the difference between the two styles?

Additional suggestions are welcomed at well in the sport touring category. But I’m fairly budget conscience and would like to stick with Japanese (I love Suzuki’s) but do also like the triumph ST’s

My bandit is for sale :)

I sat on the '13 fjr & that thing was a pig. I think I almost dropped it. Rode a' 12 st1300, didn't notice the weight. But it was too ugly for my taste

I've had a couple of FJRs and currently ride a Concours 14. All excellent bikes! All are a bit on the heavy side but the weight disappears when you start rolling. I just fitted a Saddlemen seat which lowered the height and would make it ideal for a shorter person ( I'm 6')
Pm me if you want to try it out for size.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My friend has a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST. It's a gorgeous, comfortable bike with factory hard luggage and a centre stand. It has plenty of power for two up.

I have a 1997 CBR 1100. It's stupid fast but fairly comfortable. Insurance on it is cheap because the bike is 16 years old; there is a huge drop in insurance when bikes are 16 years old or older.

Thanks for everyones input. I went with a 2012 650 Vstrom with factory hard bags. Get delivered Wednesday. Other that 3/4 inch lowering I may need to do i think its the best for our needs a budget

I think the upright seating position of the adventure bikes are the best for touring. Good ergo, good handling bikes, you can go all day when your bike is kitted properly without issues.

Congrats on the new bike! The only problem with an adventure bike is all the farkles you start adding to it after. You may think you have saved some money, but it starts adding up fast :p

That back seat does not scream comfort for the wife. Shes gonna want something a little more supportive. I love the bike my self and if it was solo the price of them would be the only thing holding me back.

Yeah, I owned a Bandit 600 that really benefited from a Corbin saddle. A passenger described the pillion seat as a couch compared to her perch on an R6. ;)

Thanks for everyones input. I went with a 2012 650 Vstrom with factory hard bags. Get delivered Wednesday. Other that 3/4 inch lowering I may need to do i think its the best for our needs a budget

It's a brilliant bike, and IMHO better than the DL1000. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Are there any major differences between the 650 and 1000?

There are a few differences.

The 650 had its styling updated in 2012, I think the 1000 is just changing starting with the 2014 model.
The 1000 doesn't come with ABS... although that might change with the new model in 2014.
The 1000 is heavier and uses more fuel, and in Ontario would likely cost more per year to insure.
The 1000 would be better for 2-up or riding with lots of gear, depending on the size of the rider and the passenger.

Excellent bike but a word of caution since you seem a bit height challenged as was my riding partner with the same bike. ( earlier model yeas )
The sucker is top heavy and unless you also alter the kickstand it can be a bear to find stable parking as the long suspension unloads as you get off.

Also watch your footing ( bits of gravel etc ) on any sloped surface - it's tall and loaded up likes to fall over.
It will be very different loaded than with empty bags.

Handles like a dream in the twisties and just floats over bumps that had my teeth rattling on the James Bay trip....loads of power. Have fun..just careful of the geometry on sloping surfaces.

you would not be alone in having issues tho

Im with raouf! The switch from a cbr was way different, but at 5' 11" you should be fine. Just pay attention to road crown and grooves when you stop at lights. There have been a few time i went to put my foot down and the road was farther down than i thought.

As far as this "top heavy" debate. Ignore it. All bikes handle differently and all take practice and getting used to. Take a riders course and practice in empty lots and in your neighborhood until you feel comfortable on it. I have dropped mine once or twice in a parking lot... It happens. Just remember to lift with your legs when you pick it up.

more comments along the same lines and he's 5' 11"
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/130129-too-good-true-3.html

Congratulations!

You should absolutely love the Strom! I picked up my 2012 DL650 V-Strom... mine now has almost 77,000 km. Strom are great everyday rding machines.. don't do any one thing amzingly well but do lots of things very well with no fuss and bother.

If you haven't already, go take a look around Stromtrooper and say hello. Lots of good info there!

..Tom

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks to MAC for the warning. I have already learned the lesson on the bikes size as dropped it this morning after stalling it at a stop sign and not being able to get my footing (No damage just bent the clutch handle). Still haven't quite gotten used to the clutch settings needs a bit more gas to get going than the kat did.

Still on the fence about lowering it the 3/4 inch since i have already put 200 k on it and other than the little miss hap the height hasn't been a great concern.

Back
Top Bottom