The Weekend Lap of Lake Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Weekend Lap of Lake Ontario

Jayell

Site Supporter
The route: http://goo.gl/maps/VN0xF

I rode to Oswego Speedway on Saturday for a night of racing action. If you're a racing fan and never been, you're missing a great show. Here are a couple of examples of the 800hp big block supermodifieds:

2013june-18.jpg

2013july-8.jpg

2013july-3.jpg

More info at www.oswegospeedway.com.

Stayed at a local flea bag, then headed out early Sunday for some adventure. Not far out of town, I crested a hill and saw five (!) deer standing in the middle of the road. A few hundred metres ahead, so no threat to me. Three adults and two little ones, they quickly moved along.

My plan was to ride some of the Pennsylvania twisties. I took my time getting there, choosing to avoid the slab. I find old fashioned paper maps are more fun than GPS, and though I make more stops to check the map and get lost occasionally, it's all part of the fun. Wasn't really sure what's good and what's not in PA, but the Mad Maps are pretty good for the finding 'em. 144 was a blast until I came upon a pirate ship who refused to let me by. Our two bikes caught up to a Jeep who promptly slowed and allowed us by. I thought maybe HD guy would take a hint and do likewise for me, but no dice. He was slow in the corners then cracked it on the short straights. My little Thruxton couldn't match the grunt, and being unfamiliar with the roads, I simply wasn't interested in getting in a pissing match with him. He eventually gave way, but didn't seem too pleased about it.
I would've liked to spend more time in PA, but I had to get heading home (something about work on Monday morning? :protest: ). 219 to Buffalo looked like a whole lot of no fun, so I chose an alternate route, though probably not the best choice. In any case, dusk was approaching so I finally had to hit the slab. The Peace Bridge was a disaster! Over an hour to cross. I was almost out of fuel at this point. I figured I'd get a quick fill on the other side, but realized that unlike the Rainbow Bridge or Queenston/Lewiston, there is no fuel close by. So now I'm riding aimlessly in the dark, it starts to rain, and the sign on the QEW showing gas led to the middle of nowhere. Then I had a brilliant idea! I'll use GasBuddy on my phone! Damn thing directed me back to the US. No good. I headed back to the QEW hoping I had enough to reach NF. Yep, I made it there, but I've never put so much fuel back into the bike before. Lesson learned here.

The rain pounded down the rest of the way back to Pickering, but other than hands and feet, I was warm and dry. Good rain gear and heated grips are well worth it. My eyes are not as good as they once were, so night riding is not a favourite, plus the rain, the glare, and a sometimes fogging visor made for a less than comfortable ride, but we press on!

So, over 1300km for the weekend, more than 900 on Sunday. I arrived home at about 11:30pm, a few hours late, dead tired, but it was a great ride! :D

Back
Top Bottom