Want to switch over to dirt bike from a 250cc ninja , need some opinions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want to switch over to dirt bike from a 250cc ninja , need some opinions

Nick456

I've been riding for little over a year now, I've put around 11,000km on my 08 ninja 250.
It's my main and only method of transportation and I rely/use it daily for work, school etc, (city riding).

The ninja is my first bike and I love everything about it but I feel like I need "more".
I personally want something with a little more power than a 250cc ninja.

For some reason , I really want to make a switch over to the supermoto style of bikes.
But, I don't know how they compare in terms of power, acceleration time, top speeds etc.

What would be a step up in terms of "power" from a 08 ninja 250 ? Would it be noticeable ?
What I have in mind so far are;
- DRZ 400
- XR650R
- maybe a honda CRF450
- KX350

How do those bikes compare to a 08 ninja in terms of performance ?
(Basically I just want something that's faster than my ninja but in a dirt bike)

Can someone give me an opinion ?
Thank you.

As someone who went from a 250 to a DRZ 400 SM, the power is defiantly noticeable. However, I didn't make the switch because of the power but for the overall fun of a supermoto so if you're looking to upgrade and the main purpose being for power then I would steer clear of a 400. My DRZ does have a lot more torque then my old 250, I can clutch it up in fourth gear staggered no problem. My 250 would barely get up in second well standing up, but at top end it does maybe 160ish. A Honda CRF 450 would be an awesome bike, but you'll be doing a lot more maintenance and you gotta get it street legal. A Honda XR 650 would be a cool bike, defiantly faster and I believe they are reliable but I also think they are heavier. I would even consider a KTM 690, that has plenty of power but it also doesnt come cheap either :lmao:

I had an 08 drz 400s, not sm as I ride trails alot. The s version has longer travel suspension. I did the 3x3 airbox mod, jd jet kit, powerbomb header, yosh exhaust. Really livens up the bike! For a dualsport, you can't beat the drz, dead reliable. The crf is a great bike, but not on the road. I guarantee you'll do the top end 2-3 times a season if you ride it on the road. Suzuki is the only manufacture to offer an affordable, reliable 400cc range dualsport that is meant for commuting etc. Guys blue plate ktms, husqvarnas, etc. But that's mainly to get from trail to trail, the engines are just to high strung for constant road use and require much more maintenance $$.
Personnally I will be looking for another drz next year, but again, it'll be an s model, not sm.

Drz has more torque, about the same top speed. Cheaper to fix if you crash, i've crashed couple times and there was no damage except for couple scratches. It's about the same on liability insurance, cheaper if you get full coverage.

I was going to get the xr650r, but it kind of looks outdated, and you would have to convert it to SM. Unless you find one already converted.

I found a cool video today:
[video=youtube;Yazm-7ru8lg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yazm-7ru8lg[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth replies guys. I can't wait to get a dirt bike now. They seem like way too much fun. I'm so tired of my ninja, I want to go off-roading.
That was a cool video KarGo.
Now, I just got to decide when would be a good time to sell my ninja...

Put it up for sale now, some people are looking for fall/ winter deals. Next year there will be more competition ninja 250 and the 300s, plus it will be a year older. Sell it now if you can.

Xr650r and the drz400 are the lowest maintenance SM. The other 3 bikes you listed are built for racing, oil changes, engine rebuilds, etc... more $$

I did the 3x3 airbox mod, jd jet kit, powerbomb header, yosh exhaust. Really livens up the bike! For a dualsport, you can't beat the drz, dead reliable.

Just finished my modding on my 2013 DRZ. I did the 3x3 airbox mod, JD jetting, MRD/SSW, K&N Air Filter. I defiantly noticed a power increase(torque wise), but not sure how much power I really gained. After the mod, I'm now able to yank on the bars in second gear and pull the bike up with just throttle but third gear I still need to use the clutch but I can do third gear sitdowns now:) which was impossible stock.
How about you? Does it sound about right powerwise or should I have gotten even more from that mod?

I think you'll be able to ride the dirt bike a lot easier. However, it'll be hard to find something that much faster than a ninja in a dirt bike...

Just finished my modding on my 2013 DRZ. I did the 3x3 airbox mod, JD jetting, MRD/SSW, K&N Air Filter. I defiantly noticed a power increase(torque wise), but not sure how much power I really gained. After the mod, I'm now able to yank on the bars in second gear and pull the bike up with just throttle but third gear I still need to use the clutch but I can do third gear sitdowns now:) which was impossible stock.
How about you? Does it sound about right powerwise or should I have gotten even more from that mo
I don't know if there was much difference in actual horsepower, but throttle response is night and day different. After modding, 3rd gear stand up wheelies at 100km/h were dead simple. If you're still not happy, a simple carb swap does wonders. I love the drz, nothing like my ktm 300 2t in the woods, but I can't take that to the twisties either.

I don't know if there was much difference in actual horsepower, but throttle response is night and day different. After modding, 3rd gear stand up wheelies at 100km/h were dead simple. If you're still not happy, a simple carb swap does wonders. I love the drz, nothing like my ktm 300 2t in the woods, but I can't take that to the twisties either.

You must have changed your gearing, 3rd at 100km/h o_O? I would like to dyno mine and see. The bike defiantly woke up after the 3x3 mod(s) and I'm defiantly happy with it. I will look into that, the FCR 39mm carb would be an awesome upgrade!

I have a drz it is a great bike I love mine if you are interested I do know where there is a KTM smc 625 for sale (she is fun)

I used to ride an old greymarket CBR250R that was super fun (18k redline!) in university. A few years break and i just picked up an awesome DR650 with SuperMoto and knobby wheels! Its lots of fun on the street and even highway, and nimble yet powerful off-road. With my knobbies i finally feel like im one of those bad guys from James Bond movies that just jumps the curb and takes off into the woods! I just need to find a decent holster for my back to bring along my samurai sword.

I was very lucky to pick up a fully modded DR. As somewhat of a noob it would have taken me 2 seasons to figure out and accomplish all the mods. If you can, buy one that has been modded.

Back
Top Bottom