Fake plate | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fake plate

Ya I doubt they have instantaneous access to the license database for all provinces and states. Probably takes a formal request in relation to a particular investigation.
I can imagine the jurisdiction in the US finding out "This is all for a #%^*@& parking ticket?!?!? Stop wasting our time!"

CAN police would most likely contact the related state/provincial police service and inquire whether the vehicle is stolen/unattached or expired plates/outstanding warrants; the other police services won't give up the owner's information because it's a breach of their privacy

if you read thestar article, it's quite clear why municipalities can't pursue out of province/state vehicles for unpaid parking tickets; those provinces and states will not disclose their information, citing privacy

CAN police would most likely contact the related state/provincial police service and inquire whether the vehicle is stolen/unattached or expired plates/outstanding warrants; the other police services won't give up the owner's information because it's a breach of their privacy

if you read thestar article, it's quite clear why municipalities can't pursue out of province/state vehicles for unpaid parking tickets; those provinces and states will not disclose their information, citing privacy

But, as has been previously stated, the VIN would quite clearly be on file in Ontario, along with all of the attached information.

Ya I doubt they have instantaneous access to the license database for all provinces and states. Probably takes a formal request in relation to a particular investigation.
I can imagine the jurisdiction in the US finding out "This is all for a #%^*@& parking ticket?!?!? Stop wasting our time!"

As close to instant that the wait is negligible. Almost instant, any province, any state. No formal request required.

As close to instant that the wait is negligible. Almost instant, any province, any state. No formal request required.

This, guaranteed. And most states have full registration information available, including who it's registered to.

Simply put, Canada's CPIC talks directly to the US NCIC.

I never had an issue getting ALL vehicle information from a US police service, (wayyyy back then we used to have to phone them but they readily gave the information to another jurisdiction). Once in a blue moon they would ask for our CPIC identifier, (just to make sure it was another police service and not just some random civilian), plus they could input the info into notes on their system in the event anyone wanted to double check.

Now back then there were lots of vehicles which were "not listed" including Ontario plates, If the plate was newer or it was a recently transferred plate, (remember back then when you sold a car the plates went with the car), which is still the case in s0me US jurisdictions.

Police can access US state registries from the cruiser (as well as VIN's). If the plate doesn't come back right (and especially if it doesn't come back right and the VIN comes back to a Canadian who's local so it's obvious as to what's going on) you've got HTA 12(1)(d) "use plate not authorized for vehicle", $170 fine, seized plates, towed vehicle (and all the costs associated with that). And I'm pretty sure his insurance company is gonna have something to say about that too.

Sorry, where did you get $170 from?
Isn't it 110?

... Ya I doubt they have instantaneous access to the license database for all provinces and states...

What I doubt is that it works for all plates. Do the USA database keep plates in record, even if these plates are not associated to a car anymore? Remember that USA drivers do not keep their plates forever like us, there is a lot more renewal and re-plating than Canada. Also, I am not sure a police officer in Toronto can access USA VIN databases (Ontario VIN database, sure)... when I imported my scooter, the customs officer in Michigan had a tough time finding the VIN that was registered in Ohio, and that got me thinking about these databases...

Someone please clarify?

Edit: Also, you have the screw-ups, ommisions, errors, etc. . When I imported my scooter, had I not stopped at the USA Custom office for them to update the record, the VIN would still show as registered to an Ohio resident... wouldn't it? And a search for the same VIN in the MTO database would show it as registered to an Ontario resident, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
What I doubt is that it works for all plates. Do the database keep plates that are not associated to a car anymore? Remember that USA drivers do not keep their plates forever like us, there is a lot more renewal and re-plating than Canada. Also, I am not sure a police officer in Toronto can access USA VIN databases (Ontario VIN database, sure)... when I imported my scooter, the customs officer in Michigan had a tough time finding the VIN that was registered in Ohio, and that got me thinking about these databases...

Someone please clarify?

Well if a plate doesn't show up as attached to something, then presumably the vehicle that it's mounted on is illegally on the road. Possibly it's abandoned. In either case a tow would be in order.

This, guaranteed. And most states have full registration information available, including who it's registered to.

Simply put, Canada's CPIC talks directly to the US NCIC.

That seems to contradict the info in the Star article

"A big problem is that the municipal government cannot access data held by jurisdictions outside Ontario, meaning it can’t learn the name or address of a vehicle’s owner to collect the outstanding fine. The city has canvassed “worst offender” areas, including Michigan, Ohio, New York and Quebec, for information-sharing agreements, but many governments cite privacy issues, Fabrizi said."

I don't know either way, just pointing out the apparent discrepancy.

That seems to contradict the info in the Star article

"A big problem is that the municipal government cannot access data held by jurisdictions outside Ontario, meaning it can’t learn the name or address of a vehicle’s owner to collect the outstanding fine. The city has canvassed “worst offender” areas, including Michigan, Ohio, New York and Quebec, for information-sharing agreements, but many governments cite privacy issues, Fabrizi said."

I don't know either way, just pointing out the apparent discrepancy.

1st off, it's the Star, not the pinnacle of accuracy or quality reporting.
2nd, I know for a fact, as has been mentioned by others here, that police can access NCIC via CPIC, .
3rd, when did I ever say that municipalities had access to CPIC / NCIC? They don't. That's why you'll see a car with multiple parking tickets on it for a few days, then the city calls police and THEN it'd discovered to be a dumped stolen car.

All of the below is correct. Police have access to cpic/ncic. Municipalities, and MTO do not have access to this info. Just as every cop doesn't know every HTA section the star and those who they talked to likely don't know everything. Just as I don't know everything, but I have real world experience using cpic and other similar situations.

2nd, I know for a fact, as has been mentioned by others here, that police can access NCIC via CPIC, .
3rd, when did I ever say that municipalities had access to CPIC / NCIC? They don't. That's why you'll see a car with multiple parking tickets on it for a few days, then the city calls police and THEN it'd discovered to be a dumped stolen car.

Slightly off this topic, but what about insurance information? I was pulled over for a "documents check" and he actually called my insurance company to verify my policy?? Do the police computers have access to any insurance information, or no, that's why he had to call?

Slightly off this topic, but what about insurance information? I was pulled over for a "documents check" and he actually called my insurance company to verify my policy?? Do the police computers have access to any insurance information, or no, that's why he had to call?

Police don't have that information immediately on tap, but they do know the insurers' 24 hour phone numbers.

Ontario doesn't provide insurance information over CPIC but some provinces and states do so when you run a vehicle from one of those provinces / states on CPIC / NCIC you'll get the insurance company and if it's valid or not.

Ah right, I guess I was confounding the municipality and the police department.

There is no reason to let the VIN of your automobile stay visible from outside.
When I bought my van, I saw that the VIN could be read through the windshield,
near the left windshield wiper.

So I stuck a piece of black fabric in there, and now you cannot see my VIN.

The van has been to several states and provinces in eight years, and nobody has made a fuss.

If your VIN is visible, consider masking it, because nobody can do you the slightest
bit of good by knowing that number. Come to think of it, I believe I will stick some Gorilla
tape over the VIN on my motorcycle. Again, I see no benefit in leaving it available to
casual inspection.

Back
Top Bottom