"Alternative Media" - Who's watching it? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Alternative Media" - Who's watching it?

Needs someone checking the continuity etc. Water should have moved. Where's that accent from? The east coast?

Continuity is frequently a problem in low/no budget productions, so I usually don't care much about that. As to the accents it's supposed to take place in North America, no the UK.

Just got back from Seattle (actually Bellevue, but close enough) after attending ZOECon. ZOECon is a small convention for fans and supporters of Zombie Orpheus Entertainment and Dead Gentlemen Productions. There were several premieres, some of incomplete works, and there's going to be some really good stuff coming from them soon. Of biggest interest is a new dramatic series called "Strowlers." For those who don't know (like me until a while back), the term 'strowler' is from old English Thieves Cant and refers to people of the road who weren't thieves; travelling musicians, actors, etc.. This show has been more than 10 years in the making.

"Strowlers" i set in the modern world, but with magic existing. In the US there is a government organization similar to Homeland Security, that deals with magic. If you want to be a legal practitioner they "burn" you, to eliminate those pesky emotions that mess with your ability to control magic. You then become one of their agents or, if not very powerful after the burn, you'll likely end up being rented out to corporate interests. The pilot episode was beautifully shot, well acted, and compelling. It should get public release around September, after it gets a premiere at GenCon.

This isn't all. They also shot an episode in Ireland and assisted a group of urban shamen in Unaalbaator, Mongolia to shoot an episode there. Another episode is in the works with a group in Australia. The idea is to make this a shared universe, with a Worldbook to help film makers understand how the Strowlers Universe works. They want people to be able to tell their own stories. If we have any budding film makers in the group who are interested, I could easily put you in touch with the right people. If you know anyone seriously interested, the same applies.

Dead Gentlemen re also throwing their "Demon Hunters" universe open for collaboration.

Here's the intro video for "Strowlers":

[video=youtube;4L3bbaJ97p8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3bbaJ97p8[/video]

I'll have to take a look at that. Ongoing funding is one of the big issues that creators have to deal with and, with how Patreon defecated in the bed a short while back, they're likely going to be screwing with their platform enough to kill a bunch of indy content producers.

One of the things that was discussed on the last day of the con, was that the folks behind ZOE/DG see this coming and are working on a REGISTERED NON PROFIT solution for this. Essentially a Patreon/Kickstarter/IndieGoGo replacement, that can't be hijacked by venture capitalists, for ongoing support of independent content producers. This was discussed as a US thing but, as Ben (President of ZOE) moved to Vancouver, BC a while back, I have hopes that it might span the border.

I've been hoping to share this short film with people since it was released last year, but until now there wasn't any way to do it except by playing the copy on my phone. Now, thanks to The Fantasy Network, I can finally do it. It's called "Iron" and it's set in the US Pacific Northwest, during World War I. You all should all be able to watch it free by clicking on this link:

https://www.thefantasy.network/iron-1/videos/iron-h264-1080p

"Strowlers" (See post# 84) has just hit Amazon Prime. If you're a member, have a look. The 'season' is comprised of the 40 minute long pilot and two shorts that were shot in Ireland, with a skeleton crew as proof of concept and in Mongolia, with a group of shamen.

A little necromancy....

My friend Andy, and two of the guys who created/produced the web series "Glitch", have recently created a new Youtube channel called "Your Lame Friends." I know that Andy is really quick on his mental 'feet' and the other guys have created some excellent content. And the "murder shed" is real (I helped film a few seconds of test footage in it with Andy, for a horror short he made).

Last edited:
It's been quite a while so I'm reviving this thread. A VFX artist named Ian Hubert, who was involved in a film I was a backer for called "Project London", has been working on a series of films. The first took him three years to produce and he's been making instructional videos on how to use Blender, while making his first movie in the series. That movie dropped on Youtube last week and already has almost a half a million views. It's called "Salad Mug." Keep in mind that virtually everything that you see in this video has been created in Blender. (Also, my friend Andy Dopieralski is the "head in a box)

In case anyone was wondering about the drama I mentioned in the TV series thread, regarding Wayside Creations.

Local actress and many-time Sunshine Girl Monica Zelak in a horror short. Be warned; it's a bloody one.

Back
Top Bottom