Getting passed illegally | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting passed illegally

there's too many a-hole driver in the city, and even more that doesn't deserve a driver's licence.

All you can do on a bike is assume every driver on the street are a-holes, and prepare for the worse.

Just keep in mind next time that if you flip the bird on someone, the worse can happen is he/she gets a road rage, think ur riding too slow, and decide to rear end you, sending you to the hospital, bike to the shop, and a lot of headache: Do you want that?

You were passed. Legally. What's the issue?

Why are you upset at this?

Normally I'm not in that situation but I let someone by who obviously wants to go faster.

IIRC the M1 written test had several questions that had your exact story almost word for word.

After being tailgated for some distance you should have moved to the right tire track or pulled over off the road and allowed the car to pass.

Lines painted on the ground in w/e colour are not enforceable in ON, unless there is a white/black posted sign that says so

3h6l.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC the M1 written test had several questions that had your exact story almost word for word.

After being tailgated for some distance you should have moved to the right tire track or pulled over off the road and allowed the car to pass.

Lines painted on the ground in w/e colour are not enforceable in ON, unless there is a white/black posted sign that says so

3h6l.jpg

And had I been on rural roads, that would be perfectly reasonable; I'd let them pass me too. But it's only two lanes, on a residential road with frequent stop signs where they already had to paint "traffic calming" whatever-lanes because people were driving too fast, and cars coming the other way. In all the years I've been driving there (because let's face it, the years when I was too small to even see over the edge of the window don't count), the only other time I've seen someone pass someone else on that road was some guy (or gal) in a pretty little sports car who then proceeded to do ~75% over speed limit (yes, this is an estimate, no need to bash me for not having a radar gun for accuracy) for about another 200m before they slammed on their brakes, rolled through the next stop sign, and peel away.

Regardless of whether or not crossing the line was legal (okay it is, I won't dispute this), passing someone 50m from a stop sign (which is where I was when she pulled up even with me) probably isn't the proper place for a pass on any type of road. Isn't there something about making a pass at or near an intersection?

Be aware of what's happening behind you. Either pick up the pace or move over.

You'll never get agreement on GTAM..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

The roads are the law of the jungle in practicality, and motorcycles are not at the top of the food chain.
This guy likely had a legitimate reason to brake test a car in the left lane, but legitimate or not, cars win. Every time.
[video=youtube;7nqTbaNZMyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqTbaNZMyU[/video]

Actually I had similar experience just a couple of days ago when I rode to work in downtown. Stop and go situation as always and I was on the right lane left tire track (blocking position). Behind me was a Lexus SUV, I was just about a metre away from the car in front. Suddenly the Lexus passed me from the right taking up the little space available for the vehicle that are turning right on the traffic light.

I first thought he was going to turn right at the traffic light but instead he almost cut me off from the right. I pulled up next to it and saw middle aged chinese guy driving the Lexus. I figured he probably just came from China and not familiar with the blocking position we have here. After this incident I realised that I never saw motorcycle blocking position mentioned anywhere in the Driver's Handbook.

The guy probably thought I was trying to change lane although it still doesn't make him right to pass someone from the right. Luckily I was a bit late in opening the throttle, as we all know SS bike can launch like a rocket.

I passed 3 slow cars over solid yellow and double yellow lines on my way home from work today to even the score for you.

...impatient lady driving her husband's shiny new Mercedes...

What do you guys do in this situation?

Or similar, where cagers around you pull stupid and illegal moves.

You lost me after that statement about the Mercedes. Stick to the facts and truth. Makes one more credible. I will answer the question though. I've been passed before. I would rather someone pass me. In fact, I have given them a signal to pass.

The roads are the law of the jungle in practicality, and motorcycles are not at the top of the food chain.
This guy likely had a legitimate reason to brake test a car in the left lane, but legitimate or not, cars win. Every time.
There is never a legitimate reason to brake test a car in any lane unless that reason is committing suicide.

Original poster, stop riding in the passing lane if you're going to ride slow

This has been said many times in this thread but OP posted saying its a "2 lane road (1 in each direction with a solid line down the middle)". So many of you are looking at this statement all wrong by implying that there is a passing lane when really its a 1 lane roadway.

I passed 3 slow cars over solid yellow and double yellow lines on my way home from work today to even the score for you.

I was filtering like there is no tomorrow this morning. If you were really slow, then I guess its your fault.

If the car passed very close to me and cut you off and brake check me just to f with me, it would lose a side mirror.

Oh wow this actually happened to me before as well.. ON A 4 LANE street which made no sense (John St.) and what a coincidence it was a GLK that also over took my over the yellow lines while i was going 60 in a 50.. anyways i couldn't do anything because ninja 250s are too slow.. but as he peeled away i held my horn for a bit - wishing i had an SS.

Oh wow this actually happened to me before as well.. ON A 4 LANE street which made no sense (John St.) and what a coincidence it was a GLK that also over took my over the yellow lines while i was going 60 in a 50.. anyways i couldn't do anything because ninja 250s are too slow.. but as he peeled away i held my horn for a bit - wishing i had an SS.

What would you do, chase him? You don't want to dance with idiots in cages.

Wait, your on a motorcycle and somebody is passing you? Your motorcycle is probably 7% off, like mine, go at 100 and your real speed will be 93, maybe less.

Back
Top Bottom