Getting passed illegally | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting passed illegally

Hey, you know what they do in Europe, when they see that they are holding traffic? they pull over to the side, let the faster car go past.

Instead of being a dick and showing everyone how manly you are, work with the other person. IF they were willing to break the law to pass you, then there's a good chance you were crawling.

You do realize that motorcycle speedos are usually 10% slow?

I've never seen that happen in Europe, only up north in Ontario years ago.
Whereabouts in Europe did this happen?

When someone passes me like that, I slow down and let them go, if you had a GoPro that might be a good idea before they, kill someone.

There are divergent people in this world of ours. Some have driving issues.
I had someone make a left turn around me from the wrong side of the road a week ago.
I was in the single lane our way at the light. Good thing nothing was coming the other way.

Last edited:
Getting passed by a lady in a Benz, and you posted about it? Shame.

;)

Hey, you know what they do in Europe, when they see that they are holding traffic? they pull over to the side, let the faster car go past.

Instead of being a dick and showing everyone how manly you are, work with the other person. IF they were willing to break the law to pass you, then there's a good chance you were crawling.

You do realize that motorcycle speedos are usually 10% slow?

I wasn't going slow, for sure. For the sake of any law enforcement watching these boards I'm not saying what that speed was. It was fast enough without being stupid on a busy 40km/hr residential road that I've seen cops camping for people going through stop signs. I haven't had any problems with people tailgating me (yes in the paltry time I've been on a bike), so an isolated incident would statistically point to the problem being her, not me.

And then I played payday for a while. Nothing to calm you down like simulated crime.

I'm not convinced the pass was illegal. Solid white line would be illegal. Solid yellow line not necessarily. http://www.simonborys.ca/2010/05/is-it-illegal-to-pass-on-a-solid-yellow-line/

So I was riding home going up a two-lane street (one lane each direction, solid yellow line in the middle). I'm in blocking position, been keeping an eye out on the impatient lady driving her husband's shiny new Mercedes behind me, not that I've been riding below speed limit. Coming up to a stop sign, she decides to pass me ON THE LEFT, ACROSS THE YELLOW LINE, and cuts back in front of me right before the stop sign.

I wasn't going to play chicken and outgun her to the stop (which I could very easily have done) just to have her rear-end me, so I laid down the horn instead and then gave her a one-finger salute. I'm wishing I'd remembered to memorize her license plate and/or that I had a GoPro right about now, because what she did was dangerous.

What do you guys do in this situation?

Or similar, where cagers around you pull stupid and illegal moves.

1- let it go; you'll stay alive longer.
2- a pass crossing a yellow isn't illegal, neither is it over a double yellow (although it is funny to look at driver's faces when you cross the double yellow to pass on a 4 lane highway).
3- had you sped up to block her coming back into the lane, you'd be looking at a 172 charge.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that you were actually going slow as ****, and the driver had enough. Pick up the pace.

I'm going to guess that you were actually going slow as ****, and the driver had enough. Pick up the pace.

Given that I ride faster than the majority of traffic on my way to/from work, I'm willing to bet my speedometer isn't that far off my actual speed. In which case, no, I'm not going slow. Unless you're suggesting that everybody else happens to drive slow and that one woman was the only one up to speed.

Just let it go, bike will never win against car/truck/suv....
I remember someone provided a website where you can report their license plate for dangerous/aggressive driving.....anyone has the link? At least it is being documented.

The website/program is called RoadWatch. Not sure if it actually does anything but it gives you some peace of mind.

As a biker, nobody should ever pass you!!! lol j/k

So I was riding home going up a two-lane street (one lane each direction, solid yellow line in the middle). I'm in blocking position, been keeping an eye out on the impatient lady driving her husband's shiny new Mercedes behind me, not that I've been riding below speed limit. Coming up to a stop sign, she decides to pass me ON THE LEFT, ACROSS THE YELLOW LINE, and cuts back in front of me right before the stop sign.

I wasn't going to play chicken and outgun her to the stop (which I could very easily have done) just to have her rear-end me, so I laid down the horn instead and then gave her a one-finger salute. I'm wishing I'd remembered to memorize her license plate and/or that I had a GoPro right about now, because what she did was dangerous.

Or similar, where cagers around you pull stupid and illegal moves.

Welcome to driving. Happens in my car, too. Just yesterday I nearly got in a head on collision because some old dude that can't drive for ***** crossed into my lane. It wasn't even twisty there!

See a stupid driver? Let your ego go and let them pass you.

I saw an *****-Hat on a GSX-R on Tuesday. He was in the right lane, the van about 15 feet in front of him was signalling right so he could turn right at the next lights. The rider pinned the throttle and pulled up right in his blind spot, blaring his horn. So the van got back in his lane, sped up some more...... tried again, the rider sped up again and gave him a "wuh da hell d00d" look.

In that case, if I was the driver of the van, I would have let the retarded motorcyclist pass.

Sometimes the cause of accidents is the Moto-Ego.

Given that I ride faster than the majority of traffic on my way to/from work, I'm willing to bet my speedometer isn't that far off my actual speed. In which case, no, I'm not going slow. Unless you're suggesting that everybody else happens to drive slow and that one woman was the only one up to speed.
You may or may not know but most bikes come from factory with a less 10 percent discrepancy on their speedometer, Unless you have installed a Speedo healer you are going slower than what you think you are, it happens to all of us.

If it was one lane and that person was in a rush, they would have tried to pass you even if you were going at a reasonable speed, I would have kind of slide to the right as much as possible and give them the pass me wave.

The one thing you can take as a lesson is, don't come to GTAM and ask those kinds of questions ;) lol

You may or may not know but most bikes come from factory with a less 10 percent discrepancy on their speedometer, Unless you have installed a Speedo healer you are going slower than what you think you are, it happens to all of us.

If it was one lane and that person was in a rush, they would have tried to pass you even if you were going at a reasonable speed, I would have kind of slide to the right as much as possible and give them the pass me wave.

The one thing you can take as a lesson is, don't come to GTAM and ask those kinds of questions ;) lol

Most cars have this, too. But not all.

Most cars have this, too. But not all.
Every car I have driven is right on compared to my gps, so I am not sure you are correct while every bike is slower

Every car I have driven is right on compared to my gps, so I am not sure you are correct while every bike is slower

Strange. All mine except the WRX read slow. Except the Porsche but that's because I adjusted the needle for accuracy when I had to do some work on the gauges. Our GMC work trucks read low, too.

... Instead of being a dick and showing everyone how manly you are, work with the other person. IF they were willing to break the law to pass you, then there's a good chance you were crawling.

Excellent point. If the lady decides to drive like a maniac, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that there is one good reason to do so... maybe I was blocking the way and didn't notice... maybe she had to go to the washroom really bad!

You may or may not know but most bikes come from factory with a less 10 percent discrepancy on their speedometer...

That's why in the 401 I always give it gas until I see at least 120. So I know I am actually doing 100.

:p

I'm curious how you knew it was her husband's shiny new mercedes?

So I was riding home going up a two-lane street (one lane each direction, solid yellow line in the middle). I'm in blocking position, been keeping an eye out on the impatient lady driving her husband's shiny new Mercedes behind me

Women can't drive shiny new Mercedes unless it's their husbands?!?!?!?

What do I do? I start by not being sexist. Might relieve some stress.

d

Back
Top Bottom